Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Way to go Berkley. I know there are agreements among neighboring communities to assist during big fires. But I wonder if, in previous days, a fire like this may have been fought by Detroit, Hamtramck and Highland Park only? Is this a further sign of DFD's lack of manpower, or on a more positive note, is it perhaps a sign of greater regional cooperation. There are several suburban communities closer than Berkley. I wonder if Ferndale, Royal Oak, Oak Park, Hazel Park, Southfied, Warren, etc. also sent assistance?

amazing how empty buildings large and small just seem to spontaneously combust around here. Its either magic or a miracle. Detroit and the communities contained herein are like the bermuda triangle of fire.

... any photos of the Sanders operation in its heyday?

Driving home tonight down the lodge you could still see it smoldering.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    amazing how empty buildings large and small just seem to spontaneously combust around here. Its either magic or a miracle. Detroit and the communities contained herein are like the bermuda triangle of fire.
    I believe it was recently bought by someone at a tax foreclosure auction. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fire?

probably. Hopefully they investigate that angle. Wonder how big the insurance policy was. New owner could have bought it, insured it, and burned it to the ground while operating under the assumption that Detroit doesn't have the money or resources to prove they did it

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ... any photos of the Sanders operation in its heyday?
    There are a couple of shots here along with some more recent history.

http://detroiturbex.com/content/industry/sanders/

Still smoldering as of this morning! There is a fire hose still hooked up, although unmanned, shooting water on the factory portion some 500 ft in. The smell on site is pretty vile!!!

Stopped by to take additional photos of the Parducci sculptures over the main entrance and the Art Deco entrance!! I hope that some of these features will be saved for future use or display somewhere!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2