Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Downtown Detroit flyovers today?

I hear jets. Anybody know what the special occasion might be?

Sitting in my office wondering the same thing. I'm pretty sure Canada has finally decided to invade.

It's for the boat races. Fly-overs today, tomorrow, and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    It's for the boat races. Fly-overs today, tomorrow, and Sunday.
    Merci beaucoup.

Thanks, 5speedz34!

No problem guys!

When I was living close to Belle Isle last year, it really freaked me out. Took me a day or so to find out what the hell was going on. I seriously thought a jet was crashing into the Eastside.

I heard them flying over my house but, by the time I went out to see if I was under attack, they were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    No problem guys!

When I was living close to Belle Isle last year, it really freaked me out. Took me a day or so to find out what the hell was going on. I seriously thought a jet was crashing into the Eastside.
    Speaking of which ...

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...ticle=0#artanc

Someone tell Gannon so he doesn't go off his nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    I heard them flying over my house but, by the time I went out to see if I was under attack, they were gone.
    BURNS: Smithers, we're at war!

SMITHERS: I'll begin profiteering, sir.

BURNS: And hoarding. Leave it to the Democrats to let the Spaniards back in the pantry!

I saw two jets, an A-10 [Warthog] and an F16[?] circling downtown and then cruising the river. The latter did a lazy spinning straighdown dive before pulling up at about 300 feet. Rehearsing for the Boat Race flyover was my thought too. Our secondary bemused/amused thought was a show of force after the tunnel bomb scare.

sitting at my desk watching them fly just above me along the river never gets old...love watching those things

side note i can also see the boats out running the course...they are fast, very very fast. I have never seen them before so this is super fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Sitting in my office wondering the same thing. I'm pretty sure Canada has finally decided to invade.
    It is inevitable that they will invade us. I know, I've seen "Canadian Bacon."

"And another thing: The beer sucks."

Round two! DUCK!

Just flew over for easily the third or fourth time today... sounds like they are on my roof in Midtown.

Aerial surveillance on the pay phone where the Tunnel call was placed yesterday.

Washington Post - ‎1 hour ago‎
    DETROIT - Authorities investigating a false bomb threat at a tunnel connecting Detroit and Canada said Friday that a surveillance video from a coffee shop near the phone booth where the call was made might offer clues about the caller.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...WgW_story.html

You can expect your every move to be monitored from now on. Chili Farts will yield full HazMat team responses.

I used to enjoy the war games way back when we had Wurtsmith in Oscoda and they would rotate yearly who was attacking who

127th Wing Public Affairs
    7/11/2012 - SELFRIDGE AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Mich. -- U.S. Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet jets from Navy Tactical Demonstration Team, California, will be in the Detroit area performing flyovers for the Detroit APBA Gold Cup Races happening this weekend in Detroit, at the request of the event sponsors. The aircraft are being staged at Selfridge Air National Guard Base.
    Residents who live in southeast Michigan between Selfridge Air National Guard Base and downtown Detroit, particularly those near the Lake St. Clair and Detroit River shore lines, are advised that there will be low level flying of the jets and heavier air traffic noise several times. The jets will complete their mission on Sunday.
    The F-18 Super Hornet is an all-weather fighter and attack aircraft. The single-seat F/A-18 Hornet is the nation's first strike fighter. It was designed for traditional strike applications such as interdiction and close air support without compromising its fighter capabilities. With its excellent fighter and self-defense capabilities, the F/A 18 at the same time increases strike mission survivability.
    The 127th Wing of the Michigan Air National Guard is the host organization at Selfridge, flying the KC-135 Stratotanker, an aerial refueler, and the A-10 Thunderbolt II, also known as the Warthog, which is an air-to-ground attack fighter. In addition to the Wing, Selfridge is home to numerous other military and federal agencies, which fly a variety of helicopters and small, light fixed-wing aircraft.
    More information on Selfridge is available at www.127wg.ang.af.mil

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8431/dscn1022.jpg

Pic taken from my balcony. There were a couple direct flyovers. Didn't grab the camera fast enough for them though...

Two-seater.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/57669468@N00/6000675513/
    Look how big the Vulcan XA908 is and i am sure it was picking up a an atomic payload from Nebraska.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/57669468@N00/6008146068/