Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Stellar Week for DeadlineDetroit - Snyder Plans To Send Bulldozers and Cops

Wow! A big scoop today on Gov.Snyder plans for Detroit and a top-notch write-up with tremendous detail. How did they get this?

This follows an interesting and incisive profile of Charlie LeDuff earlier this week.

I have to say that DD is becoming a must-read for me.

looks like they got it by Bill McGraw going to the meeting

I see there was a meeting in Morningside. Why not the dailies there?

No this is a scoop by Deadline Detroit; the project won't be announced until August.

And the project looks just great!!!
    Last edited by SWMAP; July-13-12 at 09:13 AM.

I've never understood the concept/ long term viability of Deadline Detroit.

It seems like it just pulls news from other sites [[e.g. Michigan Daily story, News/Freep etc) with a few liberal columnists.

Why wouldn't I just read about it on Crains site, Freep, Detnews, dbusiness, modeld, curbed etc?

Just to your point - todays story is an exclusive and nobody else has it. Its an important story that, it looks like, the dailies missed.

And this week's profile of Charlie LeDuff - that was great stuff - is original to the site.

I don't think they missed it because he's not scheduled to annouce the plans until Aug 2. I think there's a balance to be had between someone reporting an agenda of an event [[e.g. the room has been reserved and this is what he will discuss) vs. waiting until the event and reporting the plan as presented.

Akin to Whole Foods - sure lots of blogs/postings had the inside scoop that it might be coming - but in reality - until they have their "press conference" and make it official - that's the news event. Otherwise, in essence you steal the message from the officiant.

PS - I'm not criticizing the article - it was informative - especially the Army Corp and the app information- I just think it's presumptive to assert others didn't report something that hasn't yet occured.

If they can demolish all of this nightmarish property and if the state legislature passes that anti-scrapping bill, that will be two very good pieces of news for Detroit. When Snyder was elected I was very skeptical of him and his agenda. he has done a lot that I don't like, but as far as Detroit is concerned, I think he has done some good things. Give credit where it is due and all that.

I love the idea of the targeted projects, especially in Morningside. Good news for EEV too, as anything that might slow, stop or hopefully reverse the blight creeping eastward certainly bodes well for EEV. It will be interesting to see to what extent, if any, infill housing will take hold on the newly empty lots.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I've never understood the concept/ long term viability of Deadline Detroit.

It seems like it just pulls news from other sites [[e.g. Michigan Daily story, News/Freep etc) with a few liberal columnists.

Why wouldn't I just read about it on Crains site, Freep, Detnews, dbusiness, modeld, curbed etc?
    I never go to Deadline Detroit, but this sounds very similar to Drudge Report and Huffington Post...and those [[specifically Drudge) get a crap ton of hits per day...millions...

I'm liberal, but will actually go to Drudge [[leans far right) from time to time to see what articles are posted of interest. He's basically stealing - but it's nice to have it all condensed.

Default Gov. Rick Snyder's plan would raze abandoned houses in Detroit

From article:
    'There are 5,200 empty buildings within 400 yards of city schools, according to data analyzed by the Free Press in a survey of the Safe Routes project published in April.

The Free Press accompanied students on harrowing commutes to and from schools like Cody, Osborn and Denby high schools, none of which are in the three pilot neighborhoods of the governor's plan that have been identified so far.

In MorningSide, neighborhood leaders said areas targeted include those around J.E. Clark Preparatory Academy and Ronald Brown Academy.

The new East English Village Preparatory Academy on the site of the former Finney High School also would likely benefit, said O'Dell Tate, president of the MorningSide Community Organization.

Exact houses haven't been earmarked, he said, but the organization plans to lead a tour of the neighborhood for state officials next week.
    '

http://www.freep.com/article/2012071...text|FRONTPAGE

Danger zone: Many Detroit students risk safety to get an education

http://www.freep.com/article/99999999/NEWS01/120502031

Countdown to people complaining that Snyder just wants to bulldoze Detroit. 3...2..1...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    From article:
    The Free Press accompanied students on harrowing commutes to and from schools like Cody, Osborn and Denby high schools,
    Damn, Zacha, when I went to Denby [[1953-1954), I walked twelve blocks down Grayton to get there and back home every day and it was one of the safest places in the city. Now the walk to school there is "harrowing".

Like they say, "you can't go home again".

Northeast on Nottingham to Grayton, then northwest on Grayton [[Nottingham, Beaconsfield, Roxbury, Lakepointe, Rossiter, Wayburn, Lansdowne, Whitehill, Laing, Duchess, Riad, Payton, and Kelly). Denby was on the corner of Grayton and Kelly. As I walked, kids would come out of each of the side streets until we had a small mob moving towards Denby [[there were about 4,400 students in Denby at that time).

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Countdown to people complaining that Snyder just wants to bulldoze Detroit. 3...2..1...
    On the contrary, this is about the only good thing that has come out of the city's emergency financial management.

It's far from enough [[policy-wise) to even slow the decline of the neighborhoods and speed up the revival of downtown, but it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    On the contrary, this is about the only good thing that has come out of the city's emergency financial management.

It's far from enough [[policy-wise) to even slow the decline of the neighborhoods and speed up the revival of downtown, but it's a start.
    Only thing we know of....I have a feeling there's way more on the way. The biggest obstacle in getting things done [[due process and political quagmire) has been suspended.

Times have changed for certain... my teen years where spent west side: 48208, Warren and Grand River area, Murray-Wright HS grad. It was a crazy walk to high school during the late 70's - worse now and the hulk of the 20 Grand still stands, - well barely. It could be torn down about now... it ain't coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Damn, Zacha, when I went to Denby [[1953-1954), I walked twelve blocks down Grayton to get there and back home every day and it was one of the safest places in the city. Now the walk to school there is "harrowing".

Like they say, "you can't go home again".

Horace Guest

a waste of tax dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Times have changed for certain... my teen years where spent west side: 48208, Warren and Grand River area, Murray-Wright HS grad. It was a crazy walk to high school during the late 70's - worse now and the hulk of the 20 Grand still stands, - well barely. It could be torn down about now... it ain't coming back.

The 20 Grand- Driftwood Lounge has been gone for over 20 years?