Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If something happened to the bridge and tunnel at the same time Army Corp of Engineers would have a temp bridge up in less then 24 hours.
    This would never happen due to the volume of marine commerce flowing up & down the river. The volume of waterborne cargo trumps...by far....the amount of cargo crossing the border via truck.

In all likelyhood you would see numerous Tug & Barge truck ferries pop up. One already existis that goes back & forth all day. You would see their operation expand rapidly.

http://www.truckferry.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    You cannot be serious! You know these are the people responsible for the tragically inadequate levees in New Orleans, right?

I'm sure they'd do something but I can almost guarantee it won't be up in 24 hours. Maybe 24 days and it'd probably be something that would be let one car across at a time and look like something out of Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom.

God forbid if both crossings here failed. Commerce with Canada would grind to a trickle. And screw Maroun- who cares about his rantings. Let's just build another crossing and somehow magically find a way to ease the border crossings.

Hell, they're constantly trying to improve traffic flow at the airports with new screening devices. Why not come up with a more efficient way of doing it with cars here?
    There are some pretty awesome temporary bridge systems out there via the military. I'm sure that if it were a viable option, it could be done within 24 hours, and it would be able to handle [[one lane) of prett heavy traffic - they use them for tanks in military applications. As I mentioned much earlier, and repeated, truck ferrys [[not fairies) would be used to cover a good portion of the truck traffic in the event of double closure... there is a ferry that operates now already [[and a car ferry up near Algonac http://www.walpolealgonacferry.com/).

Also, let's save the piling on at the expense of an entire flooded city for a more serious topic. Erecting a temporary bridge really shouldn't be in the same atmosphere of comparison as the viability of decades-old levee systems along 1,000s of miles of vulnerable riverbanks developed with the foolish assumption that man conquers over nature [[when the price and view for someone's house is just right). Obviously New Orleans has been there for a long time, but the flooding problems that weaken and test the levees throughout the system [[Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio Rivers, et. al.) are made exponentially worse by the need to constrain the river upstream to make more room for homes, farmland, and business. Hence the need for the Army Corps to intentionally break levees last year to let some pressure out of the system before it overcame NO and other areas of southern LA from the north.
    Last edited by cramerro; July-13-12 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    There are some pretty awesome temporary bridge systems out there via the military. I'm sure that if it were a viable option, it could be done within 24 hours, and it would be able to handle [[one lane) of prett heavy traffic - they use them for tanks in military applications. As I mentioned much earlier, and repeated, truck ferrys [[not fairies) would be used to cover a good portion of the truck traffic in the event of double closure... there is a ferry that operates now already [[and a car ferry up near Algonac http://www.walpolealgonacferry.com/).

Dude, I don't know if those fairies with their tiny little wings could handle getting semis across the river.

Watch those canadians - it starts out with higher alcoholic content beer and ends up with July blizzards and igloos. Guard your border.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Watch those canadians - it starts out with higher alcoholic content beer and ends up with July blizzards and igloos. Guard your border.
    Not to mention all of the baby harp seal killings in the country's capitol, Toronto! I got a call into P.M. Poutine on that one. He has yet to return my call, but the person answering the phone at parliment was laughing her head off when I told her I was an american....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2