Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Canada attacking? Matty up to something? Tunnel appears to be shut down.

I see about 5 homeland security and a few DPD units blocking the tunnel right now. NO traffic at all in or out of the terminal. Anyone hear anything?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...el-closed.html

The Detroit-Windsor tunnel is closed. People are being told to use the Ambassador Bridge.
    Carolyn Brown, executive vice president of the tunnel corporatation, would only say Windsor Police were notified tunnel of "a potential threat" at approximately 1 p.m.
    A tunnel employee told CBC news there was a bomb threat at the Duty Free Shop near the tunnel’s entrance.
    Brown said the threat is inside the tunnel and not in the Duty Free Shop.
    Police have not specifically said what they have responded to. They are only calling it "a perceived threat."
    The tunnel has been evacuated and is closed in both directions.
    Police are on scene. No roads other than the tunnel are closed.

So, MM just needs to call in a bomb threat every few days to jazz up business on the bridge.

Thank you. I guess we can blame Canada. :-)

And this is exactly why a second span, not privately owned is needed !
    This sob already owns the only crossing for trucks and is a part owner of the tunnel ! This jerk is making money hand over fist !
    And he has the nerve to want a second span right next to his bridge ?
    WTF ?
    How greedy can one person be ?
    I'm all for free enterprise and a open market, but this is just too much !
    This smacks of Standard Oil !

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    This sob already owns the only crossing for trucks and is a part owner of the tunnel ! This jerk is making money hand over fist !
    WTF ?
    Well you could read the entire history on the tunnel and who actually does own it here.

The Tunnel is jointly owned by the Cities of Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan.

http://www.dwtunnel.com/AboutUs.Aspx

Somebody calls in a threat and automatically it is Matty's fault,now that is funny.

Personally, I think it is an entrepreneurial type windshield washer to drum up business while people are waiting in line or even a plot by the city council to stop all of the outsiders from coming into the city.

If something happened to the bridge and tunnel at the same time Army Corp of Engineers would have a temp bridge up in less then 24 hours.

If something happened to the bridge and tunnel at the same time Army Corp of Engineers would have a temp bridge up in less then 24 hours.

'than'

And it would longer than that to find the keys to the trucks to get them moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well you could read the entire history on the tunnel and who actually does own it here.

The Tunnel is jointly owned by the Cities of Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan.

http://www.dwtunnel.com/AboutUs.Aspx

Somebody calls in a threat and automatically it is Matty's fault,now that is funny.

Personally, I think it is an entrepreneurial type windshield washer to drum up business while people are waiting in line or even a plot by the city council to stop all of the outsiders from coming into the city.

It's Synder. He's smart and tough... what better way to point out our vulnerability than shut down the only publicly owned crossing in Detroit? Take that $3,000,000 worth of negative ads... all this cost is a few hours of work for the Feds' border agents.

The ACE would not use a temporary bridge to handle the traffic stopped by closure of the crossings. We're not talking about military supplies and troops in Europe... you can't move semis across a temporary bridge at any reasonable speed and volume, especially with the current and ship traffic. More likely they woul divert to Port Huron, or potenitally run a ferry while whatver happened to the tunnel and bridge was fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    WTF ?
    Simmer down... take a few breaths... this is not about Matty....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Simmer down... take a few breaths... this is not about Matty....
    Every event is always about whatever hot button issue is making me most mad at any given moment.

For example, The Katie Holmes custody settlement is really about the decline of the marital unit in this country and why I think Kate Upton should be dating me instead of Justin Verlander.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; July-12-12 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Every event is always about whatever hot button issue is making me most mad at any given.

For example, The Katie Holmes custody settlement is really about the decline of the marital unit in this country and why I think Kate Upton should be dating me instead of Justin Verlander.
    Now that makes perfect sense....

How exactly would one of those temp bridges work with the amount of marine traffic the Detroit river handles on a daily basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

'than'

And it would longer than that to find the keys to the trucks to get them moving.

Sure, they could get a bridge up, but what about the shipping lane that they consequently shut down by floating all those pontoons across the river?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    How exactly would one of those temp bridges work with the amount of marine traffic the Detroit river handles on a daily basis?
    ...beat me to it

The Coast Guard helicopter hovered over downtown for hours.

There was a MILITARY JET flyover just after lunch.

Wonder what either could've done if there WAS a bomb?!

There were so many cops hovering around...I went and had a few doughnuts in their honor.

Actually, we smoked a few joints over at Hart Plaza. Nobody was looking over that way.

Now I want doughnuts...

Cheers!

LOL

No.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The Coast Guard helicopter hovered over downtown for hours.

There was a MILITARY JET flyover just after lunch.

Wonder what either could've done if there WAS a bomb?!

There were so many cops hovering around...I went and had a few doughnuts in their honor.

Actually, we smoked a few joints over at Hart Plaza. Nobody was looking over that way.

Now I want doughnuts...

Cheers!
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! ....hmmmm, now I want doughnuts!

Stromberg2

Donuts? Did somebody say donuts???

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Donuts? Did somebody say donuts???
    LOL....some things never die, Ray?

Personally I wouldn't want to be a dog handler on that duty.

The most frightening aspect of the tunnel and the bridge is that no one checks the vehicles entering them. Any Timothy McVeigh copy cat could drive into that tunnel and not a person would blink.

But god forbid he show up at US customs without a passport after doing it.

They need a big sign above the tunnel and bridge that reads, "Will someone please close the barn door after the horse gets out".

Pathetic isn't it? All that homeland border security and they protect little more than their jobs. Instead they annoy and humilate good people while killing commerce.

If something happened to the bridge and tunnel at the same time Army Corp of Engineers would have a temp bridge up in less then 24 hours.[/QUOTE]

You cannot be serious! You know these are the people responsible for the tragically inadequate levees in New Orleans, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    You cannot be serious! You know these are the people responsible for the tragically inadequate levees in New Orleans, right?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'd do something but I can almost guarantee it won't be up in 24 hours. Maybe 24 days and it'd probably be something that would be let one car across at a time and look like something out of Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom.

God forbid if both crossings here failed. Commerce with Canada would grind to a trickle. And screw Maroun- who cares about his rantings. Let's just build another crossing and somehow magically find a way to ease the border crossings.

Hell, they're constantly trying to improve traffic flow at the airports with new screening devices. Why not come up with a more efficient way of doing it with cars here?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    LOL....some things never die, Ray?

Personally I wouldn't want to be a dog handler on that duty.

Yeah, especially if they DON'T find anything!

I realized yesterday that the only really disappointed beings in the whole endeavor would be the bomb dogs, since they only get treats if they succeed.

Imagine having to deal with a prima dona top-dog K9 after taking him on a one-mile walk in a cement tube for four hours with no potty breaks.

Does anyone know if they found anything?! There were a whole bunch of secondary sirens after two-thirty, I think they called in the bomb squad. I didn't see the truck or trailer, but they might've gone straight into the tunnel.

Couldn't imagine any other reason for the second alarm.

Then again, if they found something, they'd've taken it to Belle Isle to annoy the Pointers. I ended up hanging out on Patchouli Beach with Django, avoiding rush hour traffic, and we heard no booms. Officer OD was bored enough to come hassle the hipsters, but found only one girl wading...which seems to be a loop-hole to the no swimming rule.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast