Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tiger Stadium going going almost gone 6-22-2009

Few more days and the stadium will be totally demolished.
    Newest aerial image shot today.

Tiger Stadium Demo June 22, 2009

Fox 2 Chopper hot on my tail fathers.... both aircraft battling position for the best shots.

Attachment 1971

Who do you think won?

FlyBy
    Last edited by FlyByDon; September-21-09 at 08:49 AM.

It just makes you sick.

More empty lots! More empty lots! Hooray!

No, I won't say it. I won't. Bite my tongue.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

Yes you did say it, Ray. You used a cymbal, but you still said it.

Retroit Guest

Take me out to the empty field,
    Take me out to the weeds.
    Steal me some peanuts and crack cocaine,
    I don't care if I'm dead on my back,
    Let me loot, loot, loot from the homies,
    If I don't sin it's a shame.
    For it's one, two, three strikes, you're a lout,
    At the empty field."

Was anyone there when the collapse occurred? From what some people at the park were saying, it sounded uncontrolled. Peter Comstock Riley said he heard a crane got caught in the collapse, though no one was hurt.

Well unlike other buildings in the Detroit area, I will know what was there before whatever is built on that site.R.I.P. to the Queen of Diamonds.
    The way Stadiums go up and come down I think I will be seeing demo pix of the Copa, Coma or whatever you call it, In my life time.

Well, Lowell, I guess it's time to take down the "Save Tiger Stadium" in your scrolling banner on top. You did your part to try to help save the beloved ballpark.

How about "Remember Tiger Stadium"?

I was unaware of the collapse yesterday until I drove past it this morning. My heart quickly sank. However, it didn't stay sunk for too long because there were a lot of people running out in front of me across Trumbull with their photography gear getting some last pix. Good thing I didn't hit anyone.

OTHER GREAT MOMENTS IN DETROIT HISTORY:

1956: The last streetcar: City officials beam with pride as the last of the outdated streetcars heads for a final run down Woodward. Pleased that these obstructions to car traffic are finally out of the way, and dedicated to a new, more flexible system of gasoline-powered motor coaches, city fathers look upon the departing streetcar with happiness. They are, however, mystified at the people who are standing on the street, taking photographs and talking about how they'll miss their beloved PCC cars.

1998: Hudson's demolition: City officials beam with pride as the hulking department store is dynamited, spreading a cloud of toxic dust over the crowd assembled to see it off. Pleased that this obstruction to development is finally out of the way, and dedicated to seeing through any new promise of development for the lot, city fathers look happily upon the demise of the building. They are, however, mystified at the people gathered there, risking their health, to take one last look at the building, talking about the wonderful memories they shared there.

2009: Tiger Stadium demolition: City officials beam with pride as ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    More empty lots! More empty lots! Hooray!
    For the record, I was against the Tigers leaving Tigers stadium, but now that it's happened this is what the city needed to do.

You say it's just another empty lot. Would you prefer another abandoned building?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    For the record, I was against the Tigers leaving Tigers stadium, but now that it's happened this is what the city needed to do.

You say it's just another empty lot. Would you prefer another abandoned building?
    I suggest you read the five-page clusterfuck of a thread a few lines below this one before you start this discussion up again.

"You say it's just another empty lot. Would you prefer another abandoned building?"

I would prefer that people like jerrytimes have more to bring to the conversation than rhetorical questions. You'll soon have your vacant lot. What is your brilliant plan to make it useful?

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Well unlike other buildings in the Detroit area, I will know what was there before whatever is built on that site.R.I.P. to the Queen of Diamonds.
    The way Stadiums go up and come down I think I will be seeing demo pix of the Copa, Coma or whatever you call it, In my life time.
    I'll be keeping my fingers crossed waiting with baited breath, I hate that place with a passion.

I admit I liked Comerica Park in the begining, Yet the older I get I think It and other ballparks place too much on otherthings to do besides watch the game.One of my favorite pictures of Tiger Stadium fell of the wall sunday morning. Have to fix the frame. At least I got my memories and pix of the place. I will get some demo pix too but time goes on and thanks to the ones who tried to save it.

I know you don't get paid to fly over the ballpark, and fuel probably costs more than a buck a gallon, so thank you Don for the great pics. Those of us who are transplanted Detroiters really appreciate the sights, good or bad. In this case, depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I admit I liked Comerica Park in the begining, Yet the older I get I think It and other ballparks place too much on otherthings to do besides watch the game.
    There was alot to see in Comerica Park when it first opened. If you go there for more than one game a season, you've seen it all already. For me, the novelty of the attractions wore off by the 2nd season [[it was hard getting tix that 1st season). They are more so distractions now. When I go to the ballgame, I'm going to watch the game from my seat, not from the bar or coney island or patio behind the stands. I could go on & on with this topic, but let's just say for a variety of reasons, I don't like watching a ballgame there and the distractions are one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    I know you don't get paid to fly over the ballpark, and fuel probably costs more than a buck a gallon, so thank you Don for the great pics. Those of us who are transplanted Detroiters really appreciate the sights, good or bad. In this case, depressing.
    Mallory

Thanks, … it’s always nice to be appreciated.

FlyBy

I'll echo Mallory's thought, Don. Being 2k miles away makes your shots particularly valuable to me since I can't hardly jump in the car and take a look myself.

Well, I could, but with gas pushing three bucks I'll pass.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    For me, the novelty of the attractions wore off by the 2nd season [[it was hard getting tix that 1st season).
    You had hard time getting tickets the first season played at Comerica Park?

I probably went to 5 games that year, and every game I would have been surprised if there was more than 20,000 people.

Comerica Park sucks.

Don, Thanks from a fan just a few cities west on Mich ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    You had hard time getting tickets the first season played at Comerica Park?

I probably went to 5 games that year, and every game I would have been surprised if there was more than 20,000 people.

Comerica Park sucks.
    I had cash flow problems that year, but I'm glad we agree about that stadium.

Anyone got latest pictures of the TS demo? I know Don can't just spend gazillions of money for fuel for the plane to fly every couple of days.

Don, I too appreciate very much your efforts to document the demo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast