Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bicycle Shops in Detroit

Detroit once had bike shop throughout the whole city in almost every other neighborhood. The first bicycle shop I had purchased a bike from was Eddie's Bike Shop on Gratiot and 7mile. I had purchased my second bike from the Schwinn Shop on Jefferson and Chalmers. Do you guys remember where you had purchased your first bike from or which shop did you go to regularly for purchase or repairs?

I also got my first bike from Eddie's Bike Shop on 7 Mile and Gratiot.

It's been closed for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Detroit once had bike shop throughout the whole city in almost every other neighborhood. The first bicycle shop I had purchased a bike from was Eddie's Bike Shop on Gratiot and 7mile. I had purchased my second bike from the Schwinn Shop on Jefferson and Chalmers. Do you guys remember where you had purchased your first bike from or which shop did you go to regularly for purchase or repairs?
    The son of the owner of the the shop the was on E. Jefferson is still in business. He is co-owner of American Cycle & Fitness the store on Mack in Grosse Pointe is where the Schwinn shop moved to. He kept the building on E. Jefferson as storage until the locals cut a hole in the roof and ripped off everything in the building.

I believe there is a bicycle shop on Warren near Mack Ave.

And for those of you who want a full service shop that sells well known brands still doing business in the city Bike Tech at 18401 E. Warren 313-884-2453 is one of a few still standing that does a good job. The owner is a bit kooky but overall a nice place.

Sears used to sell good quality bicycles years ago. Many kids in my old neighborhood used to get their bikes from the Sears that was on Gratiot and Van Dyke

My neighborhood had Crooks Cycle Shop on 7 mile between Woodward and
    John R.
    The owner had a little dog named Chips that was always with him.

G&R Bike Shop on Grand River east of Lahser is still there.

All the paperboys and I bought parts for our Schwinn Stingrays there back in the early 80s, when those were the original "low-rider-bicycles." Mine was the baddest of them all with a three-speed nut-cracking stickshift with a coaster brake from the late 60's. Extra reflectors, bungie-cords wrapped around the sissy bar, turn signals, speedometer, and the handle bars thrown as far forward as you could.

We could all outrun thugs, wild dogs, and Mr. Howell trying to get us to do the open routes, all loaded down with 75 lbs of the Detroit News.

Does anyone remember "Earl's Bike Shop" on the SW corner of Harper & Courville [[a block over from Golden Budda) near Whittier.

Although I didn't get my bike there, it was the first store I ever encountered LEGO sales... and as some of you know... LEGO and I go back a long way... Earl's sold Samsonite LEGO [[from 1961-72 Samsonite was the licensee for the USA for LEGO)... and I would walk the 15 blocks from Marseilles to Courville just to pick up a LEGO parts pack or two whenever I had earned an extra 50 cents or so. I still remember passing the former Vogue Theatre on my way.

Today the only bike shop I know of in the city is on E. Warren between Canyon and Opel. I still chuckle reminiscing at a sign they used to have on their front door, which used to get stuck sometimes.... "kick door in gently"...

I remember Earl's very well, my grandparents lived at 5518 Courville and I attended St. Matthews was one of the good bicycle shops on the eastside. Another while not technically in Detroit was Jake's on Kelly which was right on the border of Detroit and Harper Woods, they were most likely the best shop on the eastside at one time. There was also a very good shop in the retail area that was around the Civic theatre but I cannot remember the name.

I could be wrong....but I'm pretty sure I got my first new Schwinn from Earls on Christmas Day....1959 I think. I was so proud of that thing, I drove it all over the eastside that day, snow and slush be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    There was also a very good shop in the retail area that was around the Civic theatre but I cannot remember the name.
    I remember that store, but not the name. It had a Schwinn sign out on the front of the building, that much I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I remember that store, but not the name. It had a Schwinn sign out on the front of the building, that much I remember.
    I knew the guy who had the bike store on Gratiot in Roseville, next to Chester Boot shop. He said Schwinn [[ back then, original owners ) was an anti-semetic company.

Jimmys Bicycle Repair Shop on Gratiot near McDougal. Its been closed for some years. I used to buy tubes from Jimmy years ago and the place is still there behind glass an cage w bikes still in the windows. Always wondered what happened to Jimmy, he was gettin up there, and think maybe he finally made it.

Anyone know what happened to Jimmy?

The Hub on Cass and Brainard is where I take my bicycle for repairs. They're good folks; I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Jimmys Bicycle Repair Shop on Gratiot near McDougal. Its been closed for some years. I used to buy tubes from Jimmy years ago and the place is still there behind glass an cage w bikes still in the windows. Always wondered what happened to Jimmy, he was gettin up there, and think maybe he finally made it.

Anyone know what happened to Jimmy?
    Someone had told me last week that he had purchased parts for his bike from Jimmies recently. I was surpised that Jimmies was still open part time. I had suggested the Jimmie's Bike Shop site to a Ferndale bike shop who was looking for a place near downtown to open a second one. The man had overheard me mentioning Jimmie and he said that Jimmies is still open

Our 'go to' was Loiselle's Bike shop on Grand River near-ish Wyoming. We were friends at church.

I may be wrong, but I know the shop you are talking about. He expanded to Plymouth and Birmingham with his sons. Both shops are now defunct.

Gistok, I bought a Schwinn Varsity at Earl's in 1962 when 10 speeds were fairly new. It was on it's third set of tires when one of my sons drove it into a dumpster in Eau Claire many years later. The back room of Earl's, I remember, had Lionel trains for sale.

Ive been riding by Jimmies Bike repair almost everyday for years now and havent seen it open for business in at least 5 years. Maybe were talkin about another Jim.

Two miles North of city limits, Continental Bike Shop on John R in Hazel Park. Excellent service on repairs. It's the only place that I let touch my Cannondale.

Yeah, that sounds right, Brich. Thanks.

The shop name just came to me, it was Jerry's Bike shop and was very much a family business. Good folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    I may be wrong, but I know the shop you are talking about. He expanded to Plymouth and Birmingham with his sons. Both shops are now defunct.

I use The Hub on Cass in the Corridor. Free patches an tools to fix your flat and excellent service, they even have a tent out front so you can fix your own bike in the shade. My girl had a bad crank and took it in expecting to pay $50 to get it fixed but only cost $10. The Hubs the word.

From the 1967 Yellow Pages:

Name:  B1.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  50.3 KB
    Name:  B2.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  48.2 KB
    Name:  B3.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  44.9 KB
    Name:  B4.jpg
Views: 1955