Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Photo set of Bro's in Detroit 1982

I saw those photos before.

I love them!!!

Even as recently as 1982 Detroit was still a completely different city.

Its weird looking back on 1982 as memorable, seems like yesterday.
    No more Strohs.
    Last pic with the car, the dude called it a Lincoln Continentalosaurus, haha

These pics were taken in early 1982. It wasn't taken late in 1982 for there was a warm winter during the 1982-1983. The temperatures were in the 60s and 70s all winter long until a freak snowstore around April 1st 1983. I remembered the blue building on Griswold. It think that it was just a couple of years ago when it was sandblasted back to it's original brick color.. I remember Quickie Donuts that is in one of the pics. Downtown Detroit in 1982 had more shopping and less activities. Today downtown has more activities but less shopping. Also, Detroit had a better transportation system in 1982 than it does today.

Well, those dudes are now in their fifties. Wonder if they ever got a haircut???

The guys are pretty dorky, but I am happy to see the one and only Candis Berkley immortalized.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The guys are pretty dorky, but I am happy to see the one and only Candis Berkley immortalized.

There's a Weird Al Yankovic feel to these guys.

I gotta cheesy Beastie boys feel. Maybe Beastie Boys meet Vanilla Ice and from Hamtramak

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I saw those photos before.

I love them!!!

Even as recently as 1982 Detroit was still a completely different city.
    I really like Detroit photos from the 1970s and 1980s. Detroit was very much in its decline, grungy, and problem-ridden, but still a big, powerful, important city. I find it more interesting than the 1950's-type nostalgia.

Already those times have passed into history. I was born in the 1980s, so it actually is the old days for me.

Loved the Stroh's pics and it was cool to see Downtown Hudson's still open and standing. I can't believe it's been gone for 13 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I really like Detroit photos from the 1970s and 1980s. Detroit was very much in its decline, grungy, and problem-ridden, but still a big, powerful, important city. I find it more interesting than the 1950's-type nostalgia.

Already those times have passed into history. I was born in the 1980s, so it actually is the old days for me.
    Yeah. It was definitely a pivotal time in Detroit's history, and it's also my favorite nostalgic era of the city for the reasons you mentioned. Even with Detroit's flaws, you could still fairly compare it to any other major American city at the time. It's just a shame there aren't more photos of the city from that era.