Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Spanish-language TV broadcast station in Detroit/Michigan

I recently saw the promo for the upcoming launch of MundoFox, Fox's Spanish language network to compete with Telemundo, Univision, and Azteca America. I know that Detroit doesn't have a large Hispanic population like Chicago, LA, or New York, but there is the good, well established community in Southwest Detroit and scattered populations of Hispanics across the state.

Do you think there could be demand for a Spanish-language affiliate in Detroit or somewhere outstate, like Grand Rapids?

Detroit will not get MundoFox or any other Spanish Network Affiliates due to these reasons:

1. Detroit has a very small Hispanic Community. They can receive Spanish network channels from Comcast, Dish, at&t. To get MundoFox they would have to call their cable provider.

2. MundoFox and other Spanish networks will broadcast through their local affiliates in Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, Denver, San Francisco, Phoenix, Las Vagas, and other most Spanish speaking dominate cities in the U.S.

In the 1980s Detroit used to have a Mexican local station affiliate called Channel 66 [[Canal 66). Univision was their spanish network. It lasted until the early 1990s when I was replaced by a Christian Television Network. Later WUDT Channel 33 [[ Canal 33) is the local spanish TV affiliate that holds Univision, but you need a special digital antenna to recieve that channel.