Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

that's stunning. is the maple handling it well?

The Maple is eagerly supporting this Wisteria and both are surviving well.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-20-13 at 12:47 AM.

I want restaurants to sell more pie.

or cake or cheesecake or whatever ... not really, but hear me out.

When you go to a dinning establishment, be it a Leo's Coney or the Rattlesnake, there is a rock solid tradition. Once you are finished with your entree the Waitperson saunters over and asks, "Do you have a little room for dessert?"

While tempted, you rub your now buddhaesque tummy and beg off on their kind offer. Or not. Maybe you head face first into the crepe du jour or flan.

Maybe you go for that carrot cake, but ask for two forks so you and your co-conspirator can feign innocence at your act of dietorial suicide.

Whatever is your action on the dessert offering, I will bet you it would have been different before you ate.

This is my theory and I have been trying to get owners of restaurants to put a new policy into effect: offer a sale on dessert if they order it at the same time as the entree.

The waitperson sez, "Today if you order a piece of pie with your main course you will get a dollar off your meal. If you order the pie at the end of your meal, it is regular price."

I believe the sale of pie or cake will increase and as desserts feature a heavy mark-up, thereby profits will rise and so will tips for the waitstaff.

Of course, pant sizes will also increase, a boon to tailors; heart procedures with rise, benefitting the DMC and lipo clinics will strout like mushrooms after a rain.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ... Thoughts?
    Better get a bucket ... and a wafer thin mint.

Mr. Creosote

Today, 69 years ago, my Dad landed at Utah Beach in Normandy. three Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. He died in 1995 with a Nazi bullet still in his leg.

I want restaurants to sell more pie.

or cake or cheesecake or whatever ... not really, but hear me out.

When you go to a dinning establishment, be it a Leo's Coney or the Rattlesnake, there is a rock solid tradition. Once you are finished with your entree the Waitperson saunters over and asks, "Do you have a little room for dessert?"

While tempted, you rub your now buddhaesque tummy and beg off on their kind offer. Or not. Maybe you head face first into the crepe du jour or flan.

Maybe you go for that carrot cake, but ask for two forks so you and your co-conspirator can feign innocence at your act of dietorial suicide.

Whatever is your action on the dessert offering, I will bet you it would have been different before you ate.

This is my theory and I have been trying to get owners of restaurants to put a new policy into effect: offer a sale on dessert if they order it at the same time as the entree.

The waitperson sez, "Today if you order a piece of pie with your main course you will get a dollar off your meal. If you order the pie at the end of your meal, it is regular price."

I believe the sale of pie or cake will increase and as desserts feature a heavy mark-up, thereby profits will rise and so will tips for the waitstaff.

Of course, pant sizes will also increase, a boon to tailors; heart procedures with rise, benefitting the DMC and lipo clinics will strout like mushrooms after a rain.

Thoughts?
    Pure Marketing Genius.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on the Edward Snowden affair:
    I'd prefer not to deal with this issue at all. It's like shearing a pig — too much squeaking, too little wool.

That is a great line. bet it's an old russian proverb

Anyone else as sick of fireworks as I am? It was like a warzone in my neighborhood last night.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/rep...higan-firework

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Anyone else as sick of fireworks as I am? It was like a warzone in my neighborhood last night.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/rep...higan-firework
    It's like the dream cruise - at first the thing just happened for one or two days, then it started messing up traffic for longer and longer periods. I've been kept up until 2 or 3 AM every day this week by inconsiderate assholes

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    It's like the dream cruise -
    Or the Belle Isle Grand Prix, or the Metal Licka' concert.....

Attachment 20736
    Today, 69 years ago, my Dad landed at Utah Beach in Normandy. three Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. He died in 1995 with a Nazi bullet still in his leg.
    Gnome, my brother also hit Utah Beach. Wonder if they knew each other?

I was outdoors during the heaviest fireworks last night and all of a sudden something like sand came raining down from the sky. I looked around carefully to make sure nothing was burning. Nothing was. It was too dark to see what this stuff was.

This morning I noticed fragments of red clay all over. It must be what they use to seal or pack the shells.

A friend living in Dearborn in a dense area said her neighbors were willy-nilly - not care in the world setting off those 'floating' Chinese fire lanterns, the kind that float up and well sometimes they land on a roof you can have a blaze! Sound like that's best done in a rural area...

Here near Midtown is was just noise. Some sounding like gun fire. It went on until 2 am... the most of it between 10 and midnight.

From the crime watch report of the Utica, Shelby Twp. edition of The Source:
    Residents on Wilmington Drive, south of 24 Mile Road and east of Mound Road, called the police around 10:36 a.m. July 26 after seeing a man on a riding lawnmower cutting other people's lawns.
    Tsk tsk. Malicious landscaping. Will it never stop? Oh! The humanity!

Here's a line you won't hear very often:
    This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!
    — Martin Landau playing Bela Lugosi in the film Ed Wood
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-31-13 at 10:57 PM.

I had to switch from craps to blackjack to deliberately lose $500k — again.

I hate it when that happens.

Things you can always count on:

Any crap an ex-Beatle [[esp Macca) throws out there will be raved over by Beatles fanatics. It doesn't matter if it sounds like a poor rehash of a Beatles out take. thus it is with "New" - perhaps the most insipid thing Sir Paul has released in a while

I was wondering about the lady who was shot in Washington, D.C. today. I went to Google News. There were 1,600 related stories but the ones I opened didn't have the information I was looking for. So I went to the British "Daily Mail". Jackpot. Coverage of this story was far superior to that of any US news outlet I had gone to. More photos, more background, wow.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ite-House.html

There is another recent story with blatantly missing reporting. One of the terrorists was captured in Kenya. An earlier CNN report said two of the attackers were from the Twin Cities and another from Missouri. CNN only reported this once. Another website reported their names and ages. Then the State department said it had intercepted a message saying the report I mentioned wasn't true. A Kenyan official later said that at least one terrorist was from the Twin Cities. Then nothing. The press dropped the story. I'm still curious. Has anyone seen a list of the terrorists and where they were from? If there were Americans involved, did they get away? One would think this is a story worth following.

Our neighbor has an ornamental wind vane.

They had oriented it so that the Western cardinal compass point was pointed North. I thought that that must be significant and that they must be trying to make some profound statement like "The West is the new North" or some such thing.

The next day it was knocked over [[I suspect by a squirrel — certainly not by me). Then they propped it back up. Now, Southeast is pointed North. It remains that way to this day.

So which is more weird? A neighbor who doesn't know or care about such things or a neighbor who does?
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-26-13 at 09:31 PM.

I was pondering the universe... and got caught up on I Can't Believe It's Not Butter... what a conundrum....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MsbvGmLaU4

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I was pondering the universe... and got caught up on I Can't Believe It's Not Butter... what a conundrum....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MsbvGmLaU4
    I can't believe that isn't pure genius.

Very Funny!

I received one of those new $100 bills at the bank today. It's purdy.

"A rag man" is an anagram of "anagram."

Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast