Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    WTF is with these shitheads with pitbulls...
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...or_her_to_pass

The owner's DO NOT license these dog and most of them are bred to fight. Poor girl didn't have a chance.
    Last edited by Maof; August-21-19 at 06:20 AM.

^^^ Couple that with neglect and poor fencing/ security of dogs = tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    Because they are a waste of money.

Americans are living in the safest place at the safest time in human history.

It's not just the US either: around the globe, household wealth, longevity and education are on the rise, while violent crime and extreme poverty are down.

In the US violent crime has been trending down since 1991.

We live in the safest time in human history, yet at the exact same time we're armed to the teeth, live in gated communities, and surround our compounds with cheap cameras that do little more than catch the neighbor's dog crapping on our lawn.

Why?

Fearmongering.

There's money to be made if people can be kept in a perpetual state of fear.

For mass media, insurance companies, big pharma, lawyers, politicians, ADT, Ring Doorbell, SimpliSafe, and so many more, your fear is worth billions.

Politicians use our fear and anxiety to their advantage as well. Illegal immigrants are coming in caravans to storm our border. We have to build a wall, deport them all. They want to take our guns.....etc.

24 hour news broadcasts events practically as they happen, right into the safety of American's homes.

Fortunately for them, your fear is also very easy to manipulate.

Sociologists call it “amygdala hijacking.”

The fear and rhetoric triggers the emotional response before the logical thinking brain can even catch up.

Evolution lent a hand as well. Our brains are wired to respond to fear.

Thousands of years ago, our evolutionary forefathers who ignored danger signs often found themselves plucked from gene pool. Those who overreacted to every noise, no matter how insignificant, lived to reproduce.

So what can we do about it?

Recognize that most fear is irrational, and easily used against us for the financial benefit of someone else.

Know that you are being manipulated and stop letting them do it.

Don't buy that security camera.
    No need for theft insurance then either? Personal security cameras and lights as cheap insurance. For some people, they are alternative to packing a gun.

My son has cameras all over. He recorded one guy casing his house. The potential thief suddenly ran off. We speculate that he did so because the little blue blinking light came on one of the cameras. That would be a deterrent effect. More recently, the camera in his mail box recorded someone going through his mail and then other cameras recorded the guy testing windows around his house. The police came while the guy was still there. He was arrested and won't be doing more of the same soon.

I used to live in a rural area where I didn't lock my doors. Everyone has to gauge their own risk. Now I'm in a low crime city where I've had my car broken into twice. Suit yourself, but I'd rather more people protected themselves with cameras than guns.

Common sense safety is not fear. I lock my doors at night, use my seat belt, and go in the house when I see lightening because it's sensible. None of those actions reduce FEAR. They reduce PROBABILITY.

Security cameras that record the deer and coyote wandering through my yard, although entertaining, are not sensible. They don't reduce fear and might actually increase it. They don't deter crime and they don't help catch criminals.

Basically we're being played by those who benefit by keeping us afraid.

A lot of our fears are irrational and have no basis in reality. For example, you say you grew up sleeping with your windows open at night. What has led you to believe doing that now would be risky behavior? Burglars don't like to break into occupied homes, known as a hot prowl, because it's extremely risky. The probability someone will cut your screen and crawl in is slim to none. Yet that irrational fear persists.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    No need for theft insurance then either? Personal security cameras and lights as cheap insurance. For some people, they are alternative to packing a gun.

My son has cameras all over. He recorded one guy casing his house. The potential thief suddenly ran off. We speculate that he did so because the little blue blinking light came on one of the cameras. That would be a deterrent effect. More recently, the camera in his mail box recorded someone going through his mail and then other cameras recorded the guy testing windows around his house. The police came while the guy was still there. He was arrested and won't be doing more of the same soon.

I used to live in a rural area where I didn't lock my doors. Everyone has to gauge their own risk. Now I'm in a low crime city where I've had my car broken into twice. Suit yourself, but I'd rather more people protected themselves with cameras than guns.
    I have insurance because the law says I have to have it.

I don't have an issue with cameras. I was using them as an example of how we are manipulated by fear to spend money on things we don't necessarily need. Maybe a safe-room would be a better example.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-du...-shot-to-death

I'd like to see some statistics as to how many people that work with big cats end up being injured or killed by the animals they keep for whatever purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    WTF is with these shitheads with pitbulls...
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...or_her_to_pass
    I used to believe that bad dogs were the product of bad owners. Then I read this story: I would never own a pit bull.

https://www.daxtonsfriends.com/kara-...nois-pit-bull/

It's a heartbreaking story written by the mother of a five yr old girl who died on her birthday. Her grandmother was able to save her younger sister but saw her granddaughter mauled by two dogs that the family had since they were puppies.

This is the most important takeaway copied from the original.

PS. My brother had raised many pit bulls and one particularly captured our hearts…He was the sweetest well mannered gentle dog I had ever seen…I was always told the aggressive ones were because they were trained to fight and it was all in how they were raised….and if u got them from puppies that was the best way to raise any dog…Both of the dogs who attacked were brought home as puppies and picked out by Kara…These dogs never displayed any people aggression. ..always sat dutifully by her side ..watched her have tea parties, sat by her side when she was sick, thought they were lap dogs and liked to snuggle…..no warnings…no snapping..no growling…….just snapped

Last edited by Shelby_; August-21-19 at 11:53 AM.

^^^New info. has changed my mind on many things the last five years.

Yes, per breed and treatment dogs have varying temperaments, strength, tooth-jaw configurations etc. That's why a bite/ attack from one breed is more destructive and life threatening than another.

Pits and other breeds for example have a jaw-locking option they sometimes apply along with shaking their victim which is more dangerous.

I've had all kinds of dogs/ cats/ fish/ turtles [[no ferrets) etc. You need to know what you are getting into BEFORE purchase. The main thing is abuse and neglect. A poodle can bite and become angry.

Too many are irresponsible IMO, denying that they their dog would never bit anyone, ever. Nonsense. Be a careful owner of dogs or don't.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-19 at 07:33 AM.

Common sense safety is not fear. I lock my doors at night, use my seat belt, and go in the house when I see lightening because it's sensible. None of those actions reduce FEAR. They reduce PROBABILITY.

Security cameras that record the deer and coyote wandering through my yard, although entertaining, are not sensible. They don't reduce fear and might actually increase it. They don't deter crime and they don't help catch criminals.

Basically we're being played by those who benefit by keeping us afraid.

A lot of our fears are irrational and have no basis in reality. For example, you say you grew up sleeping with your windows open at night. What has led you to believe doing that now would be risky behavior? Burglars don't like to break into occupied homes, known as a hot prowl, because it's extremely risky. The probability someone will cut your screen and crawl in is slim to none. Yet that irrational fear persists.
    If you have deer and coyote outside, you probably don't have to worry about druggies needing some cash in your neighborhood. In your opinion perhaps, life is sanguine elsewhere. People in other situation, however, might have different realities. In the Detroit neighborhood I grew up in, I noticed a pet store advertising pit bulls. I wouldn't want them around and would suggest other breeds. Cameras are a safer bet and they are cheap. $380 gets you 3 name brand security cameras that record into your cell phone at Costco. My son deterred one break in and put another robber in jail with his cameras. If he was living where coyotes and deer frequented his home, I doubt he would have installed cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    The POS breed should be exterminated, and owners arrested.
    This has been going on way before I was an Animal Control Officer for the Detroit Health Dept. in the mid 70's- mid 80's. There is an element of people who basically want a vicious dog that attacks. Some deluded macho attitude. German Shepherd, Doberman, Pit Bull, etc., and almost always it's the dog that suffers. Learn to control your dog, whatever breed it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^New info. has changed my mind on many things the last five years.

Yes, per breed and treatment dogs have varying temperaments, strength, tooth-jaw configurations etc. That's why a bite/ attack from one breed is more destructive and life threatening than another.

Pits and other breeds for example have a jaw-locking option they sometimes apply along with shaking their victim which is more dangerous.

I have had all kinds of dogs/ cats/ fish/ turtles [[no ferrets) etc. You need to know what you are getting into BEFORE purchase. The main thing is abuse and neglect. A poodle can bit and become angry.

Too many people are irresponsible IMO denying that they their dog would never bit anyone, ever. Nonsense. Be a careful owner of dogs or don't.
    Dog owner: " My dog doesn't bite. "
    Dog catcher: "How do you know, you pull his teeth?

I'm in Troy. Drug addiction and coyotes are everywhere. Deer? I'm not sure.

Generally, I try to avoid making declarative statements if I cannot support them. Accordingly, it isn't opinion that leads me to conclude life isn't as bleak and crime ridden as many believe. The FBI's annual statistical analysis of crime has shown crime on the decline since 1991.

I'm glad your son has benefited from security cameras. Has he contacted his homeowner's insurance to see if having them qualifies him for a discount? It sounds like the presence of the cameras helped them avoid a couple of claims.

Just because a dog turns against its family doesn't mean it wasn't the product of bad owners. Maybe they didn't train it to fight, but they did NOT properly socialize the dog, did not follow widely known recommendations [[Dogs not to own with small children - pits, dobermans, rottweilers, boxers, alsatians, huskies, samoyeds, akitas, shar-peis, etc.). These are all dogs that will assert their dominance unless constantly guided by adults.

I used to believe that bad dogs were the product of bad owners. Then I read this story: I would never own a pit bull.
    https://www.daxtonsfriends.com/kara-...nois-pit-bull/

Generally, I try to avoid making declarative statements if I cannot support them.
    Can I say, I find your posts here most welcome; and I have highlighted a particular statement of yours for which I have great affinity.

Please keep contributing here, that sort of approach to posting is most needed and appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum.
    Last edited by Canadian Visitor; August-22-19 at 12:14 PM.

Thank you very much.

I probably should have said when something is just my opinion I try to say so. Opposite side of the same coin I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-du...-shot-to-death

I'd like to see some statistics as to how many people that work with big cats end up being injured or killed by the animals they keep for whatever purpose.
    I'm convinced my domesticated house cats would kill and eat me if they were big enough.

^ you can bet they are always thinking of devious things,cats are buttholes anyway you look at it.

My pit just passed but the amount of ignorance out there is at time unbelievable,signs on the fence,beware of dog.

People used to say,she is so cute can I pet her,I say no because she will bite you.

So what did they do? Say the whole I love dogs and dogs love me and stick thier fingers through the fence to pet her.

The look of shock was priceless,I just told you not to do it and you did it anyways.

Nowdays it is pounded into everybody’s head that dogs are thier family members and because they have a little fluffy lap dog that loves them every dog should be the same.

If it not your dog,stay away from it and do not touch somebody else’s dog without permission.

Animal control told me,illegal to put the dog on a 25’ tether outside or allow it to run free in a fenced yard.

I asked him what he did with his dogs when he was at work,he said he put them in a cage,like it was normal to do.If your dog is considered family,I guess it would be okay to lock your kids in a cage while you are at work,save on child care anyways.

I grew up with German Sheppard’s,Dobermans and pit bulls,the only people they ever bit were ones that put themselves in the position.

The little Taco Bell dogs actually have the highest number of bites,the only dog I ever got bit by,pits are actually pretty far down the list of aggressive dogs.

Over 3000 people a year die from taking over the counter aspirin,you never see it in the nightly news,a pit bull bites and it is a call to kill the breed and it’s owners and all over the news.

If you have deer and coyote outside, you probably don't have to worry about druggies needing some cash in your neighborhood. In your opinion perhaps, life is sanguine elsewhere. People in other situation, however, might have different realities. In the Detroit neighborhood I grew up in, I noticed a pet store advertising pit bulls. I wouldn't want them around and would suggest other breeds. Cameras are a safer bet and they are cheap. $380 gets you 3 name brand security cameras that record into your cell phone at Costco. My son deterred one break in and put another robber in jail with his cameras. If he was living where coyotes and deer frequented his home, I doubt he would have installed cameras.
    Shelby already said she lives in Troy and I live in Clawson; we have deer, coyote, raccoons, possums, and the occasional turkey buzzard all wandering our yards and neighborhoods in this area as well as Warren, Hazel Park, Ferndale, Madison Heights and north Detroit. We have eaten up their habitat further north with new construction and they have decided to move in to the suburbs. I get daily reports on social media of coyote sightings and seasonals on the buzzards; actually on the raccoons too. Possums, etc are just accepted now. We also coexist with the kids who break into open cars most nights and rifle through the glove boxes for god knows what; they never seem to take anything. And the 'burbs have some of the highest drug use rates around, so...

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Shelby already said she lives in Troy and I live in Clawson; we have deer, coyote, raccoons, possums, and the occasional turkey buzzard all wandering our yards and neighborhoods in this area as well as Warren, Hazel Park, Ferndale, Madison Heights and north Detroit. We have eaten up their habitat further north with new construction and they have decided to move in to the suburbs. I get daily reports on social media of coyote sightings and seasonals on the buzzards; actually on the raccoons too. Possums, etc are just accepted now. We also coexist with the kids who break into open cars most nights and rifle through the glove boxes for god knows what; they never seem to take anything. And the 'burbs have some of the highest drug use rates around, so...
    Thank you for the wildlife report. I really didn't know that coyotes were so far in. I did rouse a pheasant once along the railroad tracks on the corner of St. Jean and Shoemaker so I shouldn't be surprised. You also gave new meaning to 'co-exist' bumper stickers.

Thank you for the wildlife report. I really didn't know that coyotes were so far in. I did rouse a pheasant once along the railroad tracks on the corner of St. Jean and Shoemaker so I shouldn't be surprised. You also gave new meaning to 'co-exist' bumper stickers.
    I lived in Almont for 30+ years and never saw a coyote; just some skunks other small critters. Moved down here and coyote are living under my neighbor's deck. Also had a mother raccoon and 3 babies living in the tree outside my front window; watched mom move them out when we had to have the tree taken down. Just a few days before that, I watched a turkey buzzard try to get into a hole in the tree to get at some poor dead thing. And then there are the pictures of a doe and her fawn living in a park at 14 and Rochester. Go figure

When my husband was in the army and stationed at Ft. Riley Kansas, we saw coyote all the time. They would come into our yard at night and lay against the house. They were on the small and timid. They were afraid of my dog.

Fast forward twenty-five years. My husband and I were walking on Long Lake just east of Rochester when a very long legged shaggy coyote stepped out from the trees and stood in the middle of the sidewalk staring at us. It stood there for a few seconds and then, with a casual loping gate, crossed the road and disappeared.

This coyote looked nothing like the ones we saw in Kansas. I have come to learn that the coyote that inhabits Michigan is the eastern coyote, a coyote, wolf, dog, hybrid. They're bigger and bolder than the western coyote. They're also more aggressive and have attacked people.

When my husband was in the army and stationed at Ft. Riley Kansas, we saw coyote all the time. They would come into our yard at night and lay against the house. They were on the small and timid. They were afraid of my dog.

Fast forward twenty-five years. My husband and I were walking on Long Lake just east of Rochester when a very long legged shaggy coyote stepped out from the trees and stood in the middle of the sidewalk staring at us. It stood there for a few seconds and then, with a casual loping gate, crossed the road and disappeared.

This coyote looked nothing like the ones we saw in Kansas. I have come to learn that the coyote that inhabits Michigan is the eastern coyote, a coyote, wolf, dog, hybrid. They're bigger and bolder than the western coyote. They're also more aggressive and have attacked people.
    Eastern Coyotes very rarely attack a person, far less frequently than domesticated dogs.

They're throughout Toronto's ravines, and in the City proper I haven't heard of a single human bite; and only in one, in the burbs, a 7 year old girl who was alone in her back yard, backing onto a ravine. [[she wasn't seriously hurt, thank goodness)

The main danger they pose is to small household pets, cats, and small dogs and the like.

They definitely consider them fair game for dinner.

Canada-according to this very rarely attacking humans,10 in 8 months.

Considering a state park which would have a lower visitation rate the odds are pretty good of an attack.

Eastern Canadian coyotes are a mix between coyote and wolf, Gehrt said. “It has part wolf in its genetic make up. It exhibits patterns like a wolf, like hunting together in a pack or group. Some people have speculated this has contributed to these animals considering humans as prey because they’re learning to kill large animals.”

According to Park officials there have been between six to 10 incidents at the Cape Breton park involving coyotes and humans since last fall.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...on_humans.html

Thanks Richard.

Point taken Canadian Visitor. Dog attacks are more frequent.

My intention was to relay that people who have only interacted with the western coyote should know that the eastern hybrid version is different, so act accordingly.

One of the attacks at Cape Breton Park resulted in the death of a young woman:

A rising Canadian folk singer was killed by coyotes this week in a national park in Nova Scotia, a park spokesman said Thursday. Taylor Mitchell, 19, was at the beginning of the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday afternoon when she was attacked
    Last edited by Shelby_; August-23-19 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks Richard.

Point taken Canadian Visitor. Dog attacks are more frequent.

My intention was to relay that people who have only interacted with the western coyote should know that the eastern hybrid version is different, so act accordingly.

One of the attacks at Cape Breton Park resulted in the death of a young woman:
    Yes there was an attack, though you'll note that report is almost a decade old.

The issue also seemed to be mostly confined to that one park in Nova Scotia, on our Atlantic coast, in a remote region of a National Park.

It should be said, that not only are coyotes ubiquitous in eastern Canada, we still have the wolf they interbreed with, though not in big cities.

Those wolves also rarely, if ever, attack people.

That's not to say it can't happen or never happens, its just exceedingly rare, and not really worth worrying about for most folks.

On the other hand, if you own a chihuahua I wouldn't leave it unattended in your back yard in any area that isn't hyper-urbanized.

Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 ... LastLast