Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 42 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    And another side by side - Queen 1985 and the 2019 movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V23YKr5emE
    I used to have pre-Dick Dale surf music. Does anybody remember "Church key" Small Venice beach promoter who knew what he was doing.

And another side by side - Queen 1985 and the 2019 movie.

I used to have pre-Dick Dale surf music bootlegged on CD. Does anybody remember "Church key" Small Venice beach promoter who knew what he was doing.

I give up - miles of buttons.

I'll skip directly to the AI [[Artificial Ignorance) segment:

Robocalls: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

When machines become truly intelligent, it will be a fun challenge to design one that can convince a human it's really only a machine.

Said Alan Turing in 1949,pretty much the father of AI.

NC State is an Ncaa tourney #1 seed over both U-M and MSU?

YGBSM.

No fan base acts more butt-hurt when you suggest something by their idols might be less than brilliant than Beatles fans. Except maybe Rush fans.

My Win 10 continues to haunt me with unwanted upgrades, and I guess my Win 7 laptop is destined for the trash heap because there is a firewall set by MicroSatan to prevent a win 10 upgrade.
    Believe me, I've tried every self help on YouTube and it's a no go.

Their lazy ass has you by the Nads any way. Why improve?

Fu*k the masters of the universe.

^^^ Ain't it ugly? You gotta love it!

I purchased a used Apple laptop with a brand spankin' new buggy system on it. Knowing that I had to pay to down grade to to lower OSX.

From an affordable third party vendor mind you. They understood completely why I wanted the downgrade ala the things I use 'puter for and to avoid the slow downs etc.

The Apple geniuses would still be busy LECTURING me what a 'legacy' Mac I have -- tryna' to sell me a new one.

My Win 10 continues to haunt me with unwanted upgrades, and I guess my Win 7 laptop is destined for the trash heap because there is a firewall set by MicroSatan to prevent a win 10 upgrade.
    Believe me, I've tried every self help on YouTube and it's a no go.

Their lazy ass has you by the Nads any way. Why improve?

Fu*k the masters of the universe.
    Windows 10 doesn't do a standard incremental update like "old" windows. there are some security updates but about every 3 months they put out what would have been called a service pack before but is now a rollout and it pretty much replaces the old version with an updated one. You can set your PC/laptop to only upgrade during certain hours, like night, so you're not using it when it's updating. Also, turn off the firewall if you can't download something and then turn it back on after you're done. Are you off dial up yet?

Windows 10 doesn't do a standard incremental update like "old" windows. there are some security updates but about every 3 months they put out what would have been called a service pack before but is now a rollout and it pretty much replaces the old version with an updated one. You can set your PC/laptop to only upgrade during certain hours, like night, so you're not using it when it's updating. Also, turn off the firewall if you can't download something and then turn it back on after you're done.
    Are you off dial up yet?
    You mean there is something OTHER than dial up? Well, slap my britches.

/www.soundjay.com/dial-up-modem-sound-effect.html

Your
    Windows 10 doesn't do a standard incremental update like "old" windows. there are some security updates but about every 3 months they put out what would have been called a service pack before but is now a rollout and it pretty much replaces the old version with an updated one. You can set your PC/laptop to only upgrade during certain hours, like night, so you're not using it when it's updating. Also, turn off the firewall if you can't download something and then turn it back on after you're done.
    Windows 10 doesn't do a standard incremental update like "old" windows. there are some security updates but about every 3 months they put out what would have been called a service pack before but is now a rollout and it pretty much replaces the old version with an updated one. You can set your PC/laptop to only upgrade during certain hours, like night, so you're not using it when it's updating. Also, turn off the firewall if you can't download something and then turn it back on after. Your done.
    Are you off dial up yet?
    You mean there are other methods? Well, slap my britches.
    https://www.soundjay.com/dial-up-mod...nd-effect.html

I'm all the way up to modern calling tone.

Last edited by Bigb23; March-29-19 at 06:00 PM.

If you're still on dial up, you are never going to get the updates down. You need to leave the laptop on the internet long enough to download serveral gigabytes of data.

https://www.soundjay.com/dial-up-mod...nd-effect.html

I'm all the way up to modern calling tone.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    If you're still on dial up, you are never going to get the updates down. You need to leave the laptop on the internet long enough to download serveral gigabytes of data.
    I was only funnin' you jcole - I'm on DSL, waiting on the Holy Grail - fiber optic.

I was only funnin' you jcole - I'm on DSL, waiting on the Holy Grail - fiber optic.
    Ok, then leave your laptop on over night and see if the updates come all the way down by morning. It's easier to accept the update than fight it.

Okay - It's probably been posted here 100 times over the years, or 9000 times in 12 hours on Reddit, where it's lost.

But at the regular checkout line at Kroger, I packed 90% of my groceries into my cart, with four small items left on the checkout, while I paid.
    Then I got the look, you got that?

No, I waited a minute for her to bag the four small items.

On early Sunday morning runs, with no regular checkouts open, I've had to wait on self checkout personnel wandering off or snapping gum and reading People magazine at their station to reset the checkout and complete my purchase.

I know that's corporate, BWTF ? You make shopping more miserable every time.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-04-19 at 12:49 AM.

I’m sitting watching TV “news” and I’m being told the “fact” yet again that women are only paid 80 cents for every dollar a man is paid for the same work. It made me wonder how employers can afford to employ men.

Just a thought if something similar happens to you.......

For convenience we have kept an an old Dell tower set up using Windows XP. My wife likes to use WORD.

A week ago the Monitor tanked. So I went to the local Salvation Army and they had a choice of six, all priced at $5.99. I purchased the biggest. It cost me $4 because it was Senior Citizen’s Day.

When I got it home I found the cable was not compatible with my set up, so I took it back [[because I’m “cheap”) and they let me exchange it for a Dell [[I should have bought the Dell first time). When I checked out they gave me $1 back because it was on Clearance.

It works great and it was “my price” [[$3); it’s a better picture than the old one and I got lots of brownie points [[didn’t have to do the vacuuming for the rest of the week.

It cost me more in gas.

Anybody got any ideas where the measles outbreak in America is coming from?

^^^ Possibly from travelers, illegals or others coming in with the disease? And the un-vaccinated.

But to suggest the former is to be branded [[with tar and feathers), as xenophobic, hate-filled, nativist, bigoted, nationalist AND racist.

So there's a certain level of inability to really access the situation.

But history, and a cursory understanding of epidemiology belies the politics, showing evidence that disease/ virus spread as a result of population migration is hardly new or politic specific in all cases.

Further, few will argue the impact of disease upon native peoples, and people groups, inarguably so, when the first Europeans came here and elsewhere.

We'll have to really put aside alot of the politics [[Trump said... therefore...) etc.

I'm sure Native Americans have some say on the subject... a fast google search reveals references [[and not just the 'wingy' Breitbart/ Fox S-news stuff):

Native American disease and epidemics

The 10 Deadliest Epidemics in History - Healthcare Business Tech

Last edited by Zacha341; April-06-19 at 06:39 AM.

^^^ Here's what the CDC and others suggest:

Measles Cases and Outbreaks
    https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

Measles, once eradicated from the US, reported in 12 states. Outbreak spreads among Orthodox Jewish community in Brooklyn and Queens
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/measles-cases-reported-in-12-states-outbreak-spreads-in-brooklyn.html

Last edited by Zacha341; April-05-19 at 05:06 PM.

I love success stories where you can keep technology running. Why not!?

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    ...It works great and it was “my price” [[$3); it’s a better picture than the old one and I got lots of brownie points [[didn’t have to do the vacuuming for the rest of the week.

It cost me more in gas.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-05-19 at 05:16 PM.

I have a 50” plasma tv that I pulled out of somebody’s trash,swapped out a $25 board found on eBay,3 years later it still sees daily use.

My 1950s $2.50 Salvation Army toaster has been cranking out toast daily for 5 years now.

1950s bakelight and chrome counter top fryer,brand new in the box $10,mixmaster with all of the accessories still all plugging along.

I have a 1939 GM refrigerator,the refrigeration part still is factory sealed and it still works.

People paying $4000 for a smart refrigerator that breaks in 6 months and nobody can fix them,throw it away and buy another.

I still do my books on a DOS based computer,it does not even know who windows is.

My critcial stuff is stored on a now vintage apple E-Machine.
    Technology was supposed to make our life easier and get things done faster,they lied,I wonder do we really need all of this technology.

I think the person really making bank is the one collecting royalties on the “This product contains no serviceable parts”
    sticker.
    Last edited by Richard; April-05-19 at 06:17 PM.

^^^ Wow, DOS? Never learned that -- started out on Apple Macs, of which I've a dinosaur model still running [[Plastic Gray G4 tower) but otherwise I must stay fairly current with computers per work requirements.

I'll say that an older fridge pulls a lot of electricity. You don't have to purchase a 4K model, but I replaced an old refrigerator a few years back [[basic energy saver model) and my electric bill lowered appreciably!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-06-19 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'll say that an older fridge pulls a lot of electricity. You don't have to purchase a 4K model, but I replaced an old refrigerator a few years back [[basic energy saver model) and my electric bill lowered appreciably!

Good Morning Zacha341, I'm in the same boat and currently looking to replace my circa 70s fridge with a more energy efficient one. Can I ask what make and model you chose? I don't need anything fancy that'll notify a phone app when ice is ready. Thanx.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 42 ... LastLast