Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Suburban millage for Detroit Institute of Arts

There is a millage vote on Oakland, Macomb and Wayne Counties ballot on the Aug 7 Primary Election. Mine is headed "Oakland County Art Institute Authority Millage". It is to support "...institute services for the students, residents and visitors of Oakland County" [[who can refuse to vote for the students?). It's to "provide revenue to an art institute provider for this purpose". The millage will be for 10 years and realize $10M per year in Oakland [[don't know about Macomb and Wayne). If the vote fails in one county it fails in all.
    It is a subsidy for The DIA but that fact doesn't figure anywhere in the request.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    There is a millage vote on Oakland, Macomb and Wayne Counties ballot on the Aug 7 Primary Election. Mine is headed "Oakland County Art Institute Authority Millage". It is to support "...institute services for the students, residents and visitors of Oakland County" [[who can refuse to vote for the students?). It's to "provide revenue to an art institute provider for this purpose". The millage will be for 10 years and realize $10M per year in Oakland [[don't know about Macomb and Wayne). If the vote fails in one county it fails in all.
    It is a subsidy for The DIA but that fact doesn't figure anywhere in the request.
    I think the wording is misleading as well but so is your title. It isn't a millage for Detroit. It is for the DIA. They're entirely separate. The only world-class art museum in the state happens to be in Detroit [[because major cities are typically where arts and culture are). I don't see how the residents of Oakland County would expect it to stay a nice place to live if we were to lose our only major art institute.

Think regional, act regional and support this measure. The DIA is a fabulous world famous and world class institution and requires stable funding. It is a great asset in pitching businesses to establish in all of metro Detroit. I am a member of the DIA. Consider joining, the benefits are substantial both personally and for our region.

In other metros, the suburbs aren't taxed for the "jewels" of their central cities, though it's true that Detroit's financial situation is particularly dire. And in most instances, the state would have some financial role.

It does raise the question, however, of why someone in Milford should have their taxes raised to support a non-essential function in a competing jurisdiction.

Perhaps a more equitable compromise is to assess the tax based on relative location and probability of usage.

So Detroiters would be assessed at 3X, inner suburbs at 2X, and outer suburbs at X.

This is how regional uses are often funded in other metros. So, for example, with the MTA [[regional transit for NYC), you pay a higher tax if you're in a transit-rich location as opposed to some exurb where the populace is less likely to utilize the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In other metros, the suburbs aren't taxed for the "jewels" of their central cities, though it's true that Detroit's financial situation is particularly dire. And in most instances, the state would have some financial role.
    Other metros don't have policies in place that bleed their central cities dry.

I want to play laser tag but it's starting to get too expensive. Can we please pass a tri-county millage so I can go for free? This way it's cheaper for me and people who don't need or want to use it can pay for me to go while recieving no benefit!

It does raise the question, however, of why someone in Milford should have their taxes raised to support a non-essential function in a competing jurisdiction.
    Because it's an asset for the entire region and helps Metro-Detroit compete on a national level.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Because it's an asset for the entire region and helps Metro-Detroit compete on a national level.
    I agree it's a regional asset, but then it should probably be under regional control. Detroit should have no authority over the building or the collection.

I doubt it helps Metro Detroit compete on a national level, though. No one is going to say "Gee, I have a tech start-up, but no way I'm moving to Silicon Valley, since they don't have any first-class museums or culture. I'm going to move to Cleveland, since the Cleveland Museum of Art is world-class."

I agree it's a regional asset, but then it should probably be under regional control. Detroit should have no authority over the building or the collection.
    The DIA transferred museum management last decade to a nonprofit operating authority, governed by a board of directors from the tri-county area. Detroit will have no authority over the building or the collection.

I am pro-regional funding. But I am also pro-regional control.

There are precious few things we can point to AS A REGION and say: This is awesome. This makes this place where we live awesome. I can think of three things: the DIA, the Henry Ford, and the water.

The choice is yours. Do we want to be a backwater where all we care about is an extra $15.00 per year [[that is provided your house is worth $150,000, which I can assure you it isn't) to play lazer tag with, or do we want still strive to be a world-class region as we always have since permanent settlement here?
    And we all voted for the zoo so don’t give me this subsidizing Detroit shit.

As far as I am concerned this is a bargain. County residents will be allowed to use the museum for free. As a City resident I was charged each time that I went to use the museum and that was on top of it getting a healthy amount of my tax dollars. If you want you and your family to remain uncultured and ignorant then vote no. If you want free access to one of the world's greatest cultural attractions for a minimal cost then vote yes.

As poobert points out above, the Zoo was supported only by the City for decades and that was not even in the City's boundaries. Why is it okay for the suburbs to get a free pass on just about everything when the central city is suffering with the oldest infastructure, most needy populations, and highest costs to provide services?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-10-12 at 08:49 AM.

Agreed. And for those of you giving weight to the Lazer Tag reference, if Detroit was home to a 100-year old world-renowned Lazer Tag institute that brought respect and prominence to the area because of its deep, storied historical value, then I would also be ok with the $20/year millage and regional oversight.

Or, on the other hand, Metro Detroit could be known for having 125 individual suburbs, each with their own Dairy Queen. I guess it's just a matter of competing visions.

IMO asking for an additional tax for the DIA should have been the funding option of last resort given the condition of our local economy. Obviously, there's a small subset of the population that makes great use of the DIA and they will benefit from the increase in funding, but I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of Metro Detroiter's will never enter the DIA during their lifetime. Asking these taxpayers to fund a facility with a collection that is probably valued into the billions of dollars is inappropriate when many of these residents are struggling to find employment and keep their homes out of foreclosure. I'm of the opinion that there are other reasonable funding options that were not seriously considered, and I will be voting against this next month.

Because Milford and Detroit are not "competing" jurisdictions. They are vastly different places which attract different kinds of residents. And if we think as a region, it is important to have a healthy Milford AND a healthy central city.

Still, I'm sure more votes in favor of the millage will come from Royal Oak and Bloomfield than Milford.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of Metro Detroiter's will never enter the DIA during their lifetime.
    How is that at all "safe to assume"? Do you have anything to support that besides your narrow world view? As I've said in the past, my father is as blue-collar as they come and we went there because he thought it would do us some good. Turns out, it did.

Public schools take kids there on field trips so even if the parents don't see fit to go there many kids still get exposed to it, provided it stays open.

Now, even if they normally wouldn't enter the DIA if the millage passes it will be free admission and free field trips. The struggling families can go anytime and it will be totally free.
    Also, the millage is based on property values and the $15 figure is if your house is worth $150,000. So if you really are struggling [[or if you’re a renter, which many struggling families are, you don’t pay the millage) chances are your house isn’t worth that kind of money [[I know mine isn’t) so you’re likely going to be paying well under ten dollars per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I will be voting against this next month.
    Boy, that's something you can feel good about. Thanks for voting against our art museum, champ.

Your question gets at the very heart of the problem. An art museum will never be an "essential function" in any city because basic city services are more important. That said, Detroit can barely afford to fund the most essential services and the services it does provide are not provided particularly effectively.

In the long term, Detroit simply does not have the resources to support institutions like the DIA. Therefore, if the region would like to maintain these institutions for future generations, the region will have to pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think the wording is misleading as well but so is your title. It isn't a millage for Detroit. It is for the DIA. They're entirely separate. The only world-class art museum in the state happens to be in Detroit [[because major cities are typically where arts and culture are). I don't see how the residents of Oakland County would expect it to stay a nice place to live if we were to lose our only major art institute.
    Who owns the DIA and who pays its Operating coasts?

From 9 posts above:
    Today, 09:20 AM
    corktownyuppie

Join DateApr 2011Posts1,030

Originally Posted by Bham1982

The DIA transferred museum management last decade to a nonprofit operating authority, governed by a board of directors from the tri-county area. Detroit will have no authority over the building or the collection.

I am pro-regional funding. But I am also pro-regional control.

Shollin Guest

Apparently you didn't read the thread.

It's kind of sad when people will be willing to reject a $5-15 a year tax to keep an art museum open. I would also vote for the same millage for the Henry Ford or Detroit Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    the Zoo was supported only by the City for decades and that was not even in the City's boundaries. Why is it okay for the suburbs to get a free pass on just about everything when the central city is suffering with the oldest infastructure, most needy populations, and highest costs to provide services?
    Well that sure was conveniently ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    It's kind of sad when people will be willing to reject a $5-15 a year tax to keep an art museum open. I would also vote for the same millage for the Henry Ford or Detroit Zoo.

Is the DIA actually in danger of closing? Before I support a regional tax I would like to see evidence that they are is such dire straits, and see what other attempts have made to save money or increase funding by other means.

Have they looked at other cost savings? Have employees of the DIA been asked for salary concessions? Have they been asked to pay more for their health insurance or been forced to take unpaid leave days? I know many local government employees including teachers, police officers and fire fighters that have had to make these sacrifices and before I vote to add a tax to fund the DIA I'd like to see that my tax dollars should go there instead of to support struggling essential services. I'm aware that it's only $15 on average, but how many police officers would that pay for in my community?

How about those in communities such as Allen Park or Pontiac where the local government is near bankrupt and have been forced to reduce police and fire services? Does it make sense to people in those communities to fund the DIA when they can't even be assured that their communities will remain solvent?

Boy, that's something you can feel good about. Thanks for voting against our art museum, champ.
    I'm not voting against "our art museum". I'm voting against an added regional tax when it has not been proven to me that it is necessary or prudent.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-10-12 at 11:38 AM.

We can always simply allow the DIA to close.

After all, like the Detroit Science Center, who needs it?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    We can always simply allow the DIA to close.

After all, like the Detroit Science Center, who needs it?
    On what basis does skepticism towards yet another tax imply support for the DIA closing?

Maybe homeowners are already stretched thin and underwater, and choose not to subsidize one of the many regional attractions.

Has the DIA examined all the alternatives? They charge far less than other regional attractions, so maybe they should up the admissions fees. The Henry Ford charges three times as much, and they don't seem to be begging for tax dollars.

Well that sure was conveniently ignored.
    The City of Detroit paid for the Detroit Zoo because it was their zoo. The city bought the land out in Royal Oak and built the zoo there.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast