Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default J & L Foreign Auto on Cass: Reviews/Experiences?

Forgiving for one second that I live in Detroit and drive a Volkswagen... I'm in dire need of a local place that can service it. I've done autohaus for years but have become dissatisfied with their service the last few times and reverted to a place out on grand river in Farmington called Automotive Techniques. They are great, but they are also in Farmington and it's already a major pain in the ass living in the city without a car for a few days, much less getting it to and from the suburbs for repairs.

I was driving down Cass the other day and noticed J & L Foreign Auto, their location is perfect for me, but how about the pricing and competency level? Apparently they've been there forever, which has to bode well, but I thought I'd ask here [[they've got glowing reviews on yelp but I'm always skeptical of owners sneaking in there and tooting their own horn)...

Thanks

a close friend of mine has been taking his cars there for years. will not trust his cars with anyone else. he always buy old BMW's and Mercedes cars. he swears by them.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    I live in Detroit and drive a Volkswagen...

Thanks
    May God have mercy on your soul..... At least the first step to getting the right help is admitting you have a problem.

Cars are cars. This is increasingly true. Why do you need to only resort to a foriegn car shop when the market today is made up of cars from all over the world?

Never heard anything bad about the guys on Cass.

If Senger Motors is still happenin' over on Tireman just east of Wyoming...they used to be on my short list of perfect local mechanics for VW. Closest one to you that I've known.

Then a bit north...Mark at Northern, on Woodward just north of 11 Mile, knows his way around VWs, too.

A little further out, Sam out at Advanced Auto in Farmington Hills...Grand River and 10 Mile. VWs, Audis...BMWs...and Subaru. He makes them perform well beyond what the factory ever intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    a close friend of mine has been taking his cars there for years. will not trust his cars with anyone else. he always buy old BMW's and Mercedes cars. he swears by them.
    good luck
    If Dutch Dave likes 'em, they are good and reasonable. Might be miracle workers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    good luck
    I used to take an old Volvo there, they're great. They know what they're doing.

[QUOTE=Gannon;32979

If Senger Motors is still happenin' over on Tireman just east of Wyoming...they used to be on my short list of perfect local mechanics for VW. Closest one to you that I've known.

[/QUOTE]

Senger's/Mistors is still there, a few blocks E. of Wyoming on the Dearborn side. I had my car [[Honda) towed there a few months ago, couldn't get the car out of park. Car was towed in the morning around 10, they called to let me know what was wrong, parts needed, etc. They got the part needed and I had my car back by 3. I've had them do work on other foreign cars I've had over the years and have always gotten good service. Because I live close by, they gave me a ride home which wasn't necessary, I could have walked but it was a hot day.

Thanks guys, I think, I'll give them a shot.

Gannon, I the guys at automotive techinques are great but that is way the hell out of my way. Hoping for a place where I can throw my bike in the back seat and ride home...

I'm late to the thread, but I took my wife's Benz in a few months ago - they did a great job, and were very friendly - would repeat with them!

Yes, and no... if you have for example a Toyota you can practically take it anywhere and get parts for it at Autozone, O'Reilly's etc. usually in stock.

When you start talking 'European' foreign it gets dicey. Pop the hood or crawl under an Audi and see the difference, like Spoks green blood or get an electrical or sensor problem with a Mercedes or BMW... That's one of the reasons I don't buy used European cars.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Cars are cars. This is increasingly true. Why do you need to only resort to a foriegn car shop when the market today is made up of cars from all over the world?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-14-12 at 10:26 AM.

Well rather you choose near or far, IMO NEVER go to Goodyear [[there's one on West Grand Blvd off Woodward) with a foreign car! They charge a small fortune anyway for the most basic of things and an 'unspoken' surcharge for all foreign cars. I stopped going there over twenty years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    Forgiving for one second that I live in Detroit and drive a Volkswagen... I'm in dire need of a local place that can service it. I've done autohaus for years but have become dissatisfied with their service the last few times and reverted to a place out on grand river in Farmington called Automotive Techniques. They are great, but they are also in Farmington and it's already a major pain in the ass living in the city without a car for a few days, much less getting it to and from the suburbs for repairs...

If you're an eastsider, try John and Holger on 9Mile near Gratiot.

GUSHI Guest

If you need parts try All European Auto Parts in royal oak or S and g,

GUSHI Guest

All european even had a confessor for my friends, 85 Porsche I think it was a 911.

Oh yes! S & G is great for hard to find foreign car parts and they have locations in Berkley, Livonia and Royal Oak I think...

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    If you need parts try All European Auto Parts in royal oak or S and g,