Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Cavalry Arrives? Michigan State Police to Patrol Detroit and Pontiac

Well a teensie bit anyway as the quote below and linked video report displays. Additionally I have heard/read that Wayne County is increasing patrols in Detroit. I wonder if the Michigan State Firefighters are far behind? Oh wait...

So for the debate... Is this how it is to work? The state takes over, forces cuts to public safety, then sends in a little of its own? Why does that seem like taking a transfusion of blood from one arm and putting it into the other arm with a little getting spilled in between?

To help fight crime in some of the city's toughest neighborhoods Michigan State Police troopers are stepping in and are already on patrols.

Michigan State Police will put 12 troopers on the ground, along with two sergeants and a lieutenant. They will also be providing investigative support.

The added reinforcements come as part of the governor's "safe cities" initiative, which calls for state assistance in municipalities with high crime rates.

Because if money is given to the city for Detroit police, it has to pass through a lot of sticky fingers. Money given to MSP goes straight to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Because if money is given to the city for Detroit police, it has to pass through a lot of sticky fingers. Money given to MSP goes straight to the problem.
    Sad, but true. This is what it has come to.

Who are the real crooks I ask?

I hope MSP at least coordinates with DPD. Other than writing speeding tickets on the freeway, they don't really have much experience policing urban areas...

Where does it say Pontiac in the Article?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Well a teensie bit anyway as the quote below and linked video report displays. Additionally I have heard/read that Wayne County is increasing patrols in Detroit. I wonder if the Michigan State Firefighters are far behind? Oh wait...

So for the debate... Is this how it is to work? The state takes over, forces cuts to public safety, then sends in a little of its own? Why does that seem like taking a transfusion of blood from one arm and putting it into the other arm with a little getting spilled in between?

I've always been of the impression that MSP goes through more rigorous training than DPD. Can anyone who knows about the required training for each unit comment on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    In my opinion, the main issue that the DPD hasn't had competent management in decades, so if you give them resources there is no reason to think those resources will be used to do anything positive. Maybe sticky fingers are a part of that, but I doubt it is the main part.

Michigan State Police will put 12 troopers on the ground,

What? No cars?

the main issue that the DPD hasn't had competent management in decades,

Guess you haven't heard about the MSP crime lab problems.

Maybe sticky fingers are a part of that, but I doubt it is the main part.

How long have you lived in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Where does it say Pontiac in the Article?
    '...and linked video report displays."

View the video. Saginaw and Flint are also getting MSP patrols.

I have a friend [[now retired) who was a Detroit police officer. Once I was with him when a Trooper pulled him over for not having the new tag on his plate on the last day of the month [[although it was in his possession). DPD was nervous and upset. He stated that the troopers were "the real police" and his high level of respect and deference were quite obvious to me.

Every little bit helps, but IMO, this is just a little bit. They need more than a few MSP & WCSO to help with crime in the city. Bring all the troops back from the Middle East to sweep the city. These are the kinds of numbers you need.

Remember the Detroit freeways before the State Police started patrolling them? You could walk away from your disabled car, come back half an hour later with a can of gas and find your tires and wheels and your battery gone, as well as anything you left inside. People were getting carjacked right on the freeway almost daily. Late 70s, early 80s, I believe that was. When the State Police took over freeway patrol, things turned right around.

I wish they'd sent a battalion of state troopers to Detroit. Though I haven't always wished that, in recent years, no matter what one thinks of that happening, the streets of Detroit have become like Dodge City in 1880 & the police response time has been horrendous more often than not.

It was mentioned somewhere that Hamtramck police would be open to patrolling areas of Detroit adjacent to its borders. For a fee, of course.

I think we should take that idea and run with it.

Pay all jurisdictions abutting Detroit to expand their patrol areas into the city.

Hamtramck would cover McNichols Road to I-94 from I-75 east to Conner Avenue.

Warren would cover 8 Mile Road to McNichols Road from 1-75 to Gratiot Avenue.

Harper Woods would cover 8 Mile Road to Harper Avenue/I-94 east of Gratiot Avenue.

Grosse Pointe would cover I-94 to the Detroit River east of Conner Avenue.

Ferndale would cover 8 Mile Road to the Davison Freeway from the Lodge Freeway to I-75

Southfield would cover 8 Mile Road to McNichols Road from the Lodge Freeway west to Redford Township

Redford Township would cover McNichols Road to Joy Road east to the Southfield Freeway

Dearborn would cover Joy Road to I-75 east to WyomingStreet/Miller Road

That would leave Detroit with primary patrol duties on everything south of I-94 from Conner Avenue west to Miller Road and north of I-94 from I-75 west to Wyoming Street, north to Joy Road, west to Southfield Road, north to McNichols Road, east to the Lodge Freeway, then south to the Davison Freeway and east to I-75.

When you add the layers of MSP and WCSO along with WSU , HFH and DMC police, I think we would get a much better handle on the crime situation.

hopefully some long-term deal can be worked out to increase patrols in urban Detroit.. walking a beat is one thing, but if backup is needed, who does MSP call?

If back-up is needed who does MSP call? I have an answer: recently I came through the Border at the bridge and the customs officer started talking about where I live [[in SW Detroit). He said that he had been a DPD officer previously and worked in Mexicantown. He noted that gangs are getting worse and said that last summer he and other Border officers had been called away from their work to help put down a gang fight on the corner of Junction and West Vernor. he said six agencies responded. I take that to mean Border, ATF, MSP, and a few others. So I guess that's how things are going down from now on.

By the way, i did not hear about that fight but later I looked up some other gang fights in Mexicantown on YouTube. There are some.
    Last edited by SWMAP; July-09-12 at 02:48 PM.

This will be about as effective as peeing on a wildfire. The city needs at least 200 more patrol cops, the same for fire and EMS. We need beat cops where it would be practical

As to the quality of the MSP from my own experiences.

A few times when stopped by the DPD many many years ago for routine traffic stop, & because of where I was parked & still in the car. The level of snarkiness was unbelievable a few times. Once when I was with my then fiance...if someone on the street would've talked to her the way they did, I woulda punched them out. Crude was an understatement.

Twice in my life I had encounters with MSP. Their level of politeness was nearly that of a butler speaking to his employee.

Mikefmich, I agree. Dearborn Heights traffic cop was nice and polite. I still got a ticket though. State Police have been great, no snarkiness ever. Detroit police, well, there must be a Detroit tone of voice. I was able to be sweet enough to back him down to polite, but it was not easy. I did not get a ticket, though. ChiZid is my problem, Lead Foot.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Remember the Detroit freeways before the State Police started patrolling them? You could walk away from your disabled car, come back half an hour later with a can of gas and find your tires and wheels and your battery gone, as well as anything you left inside. People were getting carjacked right on the freeway almost daily. Late 70s, early 80s, I believe that was. When the State Police took over freeway patrol, things turned right around.
    About 1975 is when MSP got involved with policing on the freeways. This was in response to a well publicized rape of a female motorist that broke down on the freeway, a gentleman stopped to assist her. While he was helping they were attacked, and IIRC she was abducted and later escaped or was released.

At that point the Governor stepped in and took control of the freeways over because DPD was unable to adequately patrol them even that far back.

That's the skinny on the changeover, thanks for clarifying my memory, shovelhead.

Strange how many parts of the city look like war zones, and some days it seems like a war zone, yet the response from the state is a few MSP, when as others have indicated they should bring back our National Guard from other countries and protect our own. Would Detroiters really be opposed to that at this point? All the praying doesn't seem to have been very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by punky1 View Post
    Strange how many parts of the city look like war zones, and some days it seems like a war zone, yet the response from the state is a few MSP, when as others have indicated they should bring back our National Guard from other countries and protect our own. Would Detroiters really be opposed to that at this point? All the praying doesn't seem to have been very effective.
    Yes.

At least as far as I'm concerned, the Constitution isn't just some tatttered piece of tissue paper that some old men who have been dead for over 200 years scribbled gibberish on.

I was in the National Guard, just after the riots, hit the streets one night briefly during one of the war moratoriums in.....ahhhh.....1970?

Guardsmen are not trained to be police, and should never be used as such except in cases of civil insurrection such as the riots.

IMHO that would cause headaches of un-imaginable proportions. You might as well gather armed civilians for neighborhood militia/vigilantes, as to use the guard.

Detroit is within the State of Michigan. MSP is Michigan's police force. Glad to see them helping. Why can't we all just get along?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast