Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Charlie LeDuff golfs the length of Detroit

Rather you like LeDuff or don't this trek along Detroit's neighborhood 'greens' was interesting IMO...

Fox 2's Charlie LeDuff takes on an epic challenge of golfing his way from 8 Mile Road to Belle Isle... literally. It's a par 3,168, 18 mile, single hole course. Charlie carries only four clubs in his bag while facing extraordinary hazards that took years to form. More here....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Rather you like LeDuff or don't this trek along Detroit's neighborhood 'greens' was interesting IMO...

Fox 2's Charlie LeDuff takes on an epic challenge of golfing his way from 8 Mile Road to Belle Isle... literally. It's a par 3,168, 18 mile, single hole course. Charlie carries only four clubs in his bag while facing extraordinary hazards that took years to form. More here....
    Take Charlie for what you will...I am increasingly loving his antics bringing the idiocy to light.

Ever notice how his Fox2 co-horts do their darnedness to distance themselves from him?! Verbal and body language shows they cannot believe he takes on the monsters in politics. Proves who THEY fear, and it ain't Charlie.

Cheers...or should I say FORE! Go Charlie, Go.

He WILL be the only person legitimately carrying a golf club through the center of the city! Street folk know a 9-iron or sand wedge are great defensive weapons, no thug wants a divot taken out of their head.

Charlie may play one, but he ain't no fool in the city.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Charlie is more often than not as contemptible a character as the fools he ambushes. A hipster mustache, irreverent attitude, and eccentric personality does not a good journalist make.

Charlie ain't a journalist. He just plays one on TV, bless his heart.

He come across as such a rank amateur so often, though its always hilarious to watch. This piece, however, has shades of genius in it.

I would love to see a story where Charlie actually dives into the deep end. I love his humor and I hope his stories are finding their place with the "everyman", but it would really be a treat [[I think) to see him really EXAMINE the complexities of Detroit and our metro area. I like him for what he is -- a humorist who shines the light on serious issues that some of us might not otherwise see, but by no means are we getting a full picture of those matters. Though entertaining, his stories can over-simplify [[& sometimes unjustly) demean his targets.

Awesome.....

This reminds me of Charlies old show on the Discovery Times network. Charlie would tour the US and interview people who lived in some pretty interesting areas of the country.

The problem with ol Chuckles is that he makes the story more about himself than anything else.

Occurrence Guest

LeDuff is a joke. He's never going to go away if you people keep paying attention to him. I guess the average person doesn't realize or doesn't care that this hack pumps out inaccurate sensationalized garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    LeDuff is a joke. He's never going to go away if you people keep paying attention to him. I guess the average person doesn't realize or doesn't care that this hack pumps out inaccurate sensationalized garbage.
    Charlie LeDuff is only a representation of his audience.

[[same with all of Fox 2)

Have to agree with the last two comments. Unfortunately, most "news" shows are entertainment and ratings come first and foremost. Occasionally, Charlie hits a nerve with his antics. That can be good or bad depending on the person or department he has targeted. FOX is the local TV National Inquirer with WDIV and WXYZ not far behind.
    It's hard to take someone seriously when they act like a clown.

Well he proves one point, Detroit has become incredibly rural if you can golf all the way to Belle Isle.

I say one thing, It is amazing about the amount of open land in the city. I liked the story. But WATCHING IT MAKES ME MAD. You shouldn't be able to Golf your way through a major city without fear of wacking a building or a person.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Charlie LeDuff is only a representation of his audience.

[[same with all of Fox 2)
    And MSNBC.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I say one thing, It is amazing about the amount of open land in the city. I liked the story. But WATCHING IT MAKES ME MAD. You shouldn't be able to Golf your way through a major city without fear of wacking a building or a person.
    I hate to break this to you but Detroit is no longer a major city. It is no longer a top ten city population wise in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hate to break this to you but Detroit is no longer a major city. It is no longer a top ten city population wise in the US.
    Is that the definition of major city? DC, Boston, and San Francisco aren't top ten cities, population wise, either.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Is that the definition of major city? DC, Boston, and San Francisco aren't top ten cities, population wise, either.
    I agree with iheartthed here. If you consider Metro area population and not city population, DC is seventh, Boston 10th, and San Francisco 11th. Detroit is 13th and its metro area [[which does not include Ann Arbor) is larger than Phoenix and San Diego. Detroit as a metro area is still a major city.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    You sir are wise, however these cities never were large cities. At one time, not so long ago, the only cities larger than Detroit were New York, Chicago, and Philly. If you look at things over time, Detroit has dropped from being a primate city to a tertieriary one. Losing 1.25 million people has created an environment where you can golf through the entire City. Do I like it? Heck no! But it does prove the point that we need to seriously repurpose and resize this town.