Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default First Subway Restaurant in Metro Detroit/Windsor?

Do you remember which Subway restaurant was exactly the first to open in the Detroit/Windsor area and when?

I think these two might be it:

http://goo.gl/maps/GfgV
    http://goo.gl/maps/Gcpc

Are you sure one of those two might be it? Or do you think it was a different Subway?

I can tell you that I remember there being a Subway at Evergreen Plaza at 12 and Evergreen in Southfield dating back to the late 1980s [[could have been earlier but I am only 30 so my memory doesn't go much further than that). However, it looks like Subway was going strong in the 1970s so Subway could have been in the area as far back as then.

Well, I think I remember there being a Subway in a tiny five-store strip mall on the Wyandotte side of Fort Street just south of Eureka Road as far back as 1994 [[Subway was starting to take off in the early 90's), but it could've been earlier. It was in that same strip mall all the way up to sometime earlier this decade, when they moved north to an abandoned donut shop on the Southgate side, the former strip mall location is now occupied by a local restaurant named "Greek Pita."

However, the one I frequent, the one on Eureka between Biddle Avenue [[West Jefferson) and Roosevelt High School [[it's closer to the high school) is newer, that opened circa late 2003-early 2004.
    Last edited by mtburb; July-03-12 at 08:32 PM.

Who cares? How about a thread on mom-and-pop sub shops in the area. I think there's an old school one still running at 15 Mile and Gratiot.

Idk about subway but what is the deal with the Quiznos downtown? That sign looks old like its been there forever. I dont know if it's even open. The sign looks at least 20 years old and I've only been aware of Quiznos for maybe 10.

Mom and pop shops are the worst! More on Subway, please...

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Who cares? How about a thread on mom-and-pop sub shops in the area. I think there's an old school one still running at 15 Mile and Gratiot.
    And good too! Big and loaded with mild peppers if one likes.

Gonella's, baby!

It had to be 1989 at the latest...from company history:

1989 - [[Return to top)

The 3,000th SUBWAY® restaurant opens in North Muskegon, Michigan. The SUBWAY® chain now present in all 50 U.S. states. First SUBWAY® restaurant opens inside a grocery store. A SUBWAY® restaurant has a cameo appearance in the Mel Gibson film, “Lethal Weapon 2.”

Subway blows! I'm with EastsideAl, Gonella's is great and Ernie's Market in Oak Park blows everybody outta the water! Oh, I can't forget Mudgie's.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    I can tell you that I remember there being a Subway at Evergreen Plaza at 12 and Evergreen in Southfield dating back to the late 1980s [[could have been earlier but I am only 30 so my memory doesn't go much further than that). However, it looks like Subway was going strong in the 1970s so Subway could have been in the area as far back as then.
    Well, the store you are speaking of is #2539, so it's possible it was one of the first in the Detroit area. However, since the first ever Subway was in Connecticut, so it didn't expand out of that state until 1975. So the chain could have been in the Detroit area since at least 1975.