Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Digital [[cable) phone service help needed

To all the computer techs out there...

We have our phone service through BrightHouse cable. I recently bought a new HP printer/scanner/fax and it will not work with this phone. HP and BrightHouse tell me I need a converter to take the digital phone line to an analog phone line. I have checked a few stores and either they have no idea what I am talking about, or they don't know where I can get one.

Is there anyone out there who can help?

What do you use for phones for voice calls?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    To all the computer techs out there...

We have our phone service through BrightHouse cable. I recently bought a new HP printer/scanner/fax and it will not work with this phone. HP and BrightHouse tell me I need a converter to take the digital phone line to an analog phone line. I have checked a few stores and either they have no idea what I am talking about, or they don't know where I can get one.

Is there anyone out there who can help?
    Was it by any chance a DSL filter that they told you to use? Here's one at Staples for 10.99. I'm not familiar with Brighthouse, so I am not sure if you're on DSL or not
    http://www.staples.com/Staples-DSL-F...product_837569

If what you actually need is a digital line converter, they seem to be quite expensive. Do you need the fax machine for work or do you use it infrequently? If it's infrequent, you might be better off scanning and then emailing items or getting an online fax service.
    Also, according to some things I've read, newer fax machines should have a built in switch for a digital converter. What model number is your HP?
    Here's a link to a couple digital converters:http://shopper.cnet.com/4566-3004_9-...00282_5571400_
    Here's a link to an Ehow tutorial on setting up digital to analog fax:http://www.ehow.com/how_7563260_conv...x-digital.html

Cable is not DSL and there isn't really any reason to go digging for converters until the OP provides more information.

1. What is Bright House Networks Home Phone?
    Home Phone is the name for Bright House Networks home phone service. Home Phone works with your existing phones and outlets, and in most cases you can keep your same phone number.

2. Does Bright House Networks Home Phone work like my home phone?
    Home Phone works just like any regular home phone service. You can make local and long distance calls and use a fax machine, alarm system, dial-up Internet and anything you use your home phone to do. Home Phone also offers the services you expect like directory assistance and international calling.
    http://www.brighthousecableoffers.com/faq_phone/#q1

I don't see why you can't plug the Fax machine into any jack where you have a currently working phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    http://www.brighthousecableoffers.com/faq_phone/#q1

I don't see why you can't plug the Fax machine into any jack where you have a currently working phone.
    Because it apparently doesn't work for her, even after having called Brighthouse AND HP, who told her she needs a converter.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Here are some answers to your questions:

I cannot plug the fax machine directly into a jack. The phone line goes into the cable modem first, then out to the phone and back to the printer/fax. Everything shows up ok on the fax test, except that the signal is too weak. It is an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600.

It is NOT DSL...it is digital cable.

I had no trouble with my old printer/fax machine. But evidently this new model doesn't work the same and requires an analog signal. According to HP and BrightHouse, I need the converter. And yes, I do some work from home, and sometimes require the fax machine, but not on a daily basis. It is not worth installing an AT & T line...I don't do that much.

jcole: I will check out your suggestions. Again...thank you so much for your help!

You're welcome, Blue. Here's a link to online fax service comparison chart in case you want to check it out.
    http://faxing-service-review.toptenreviews.com/

Can you plug the phone directly into the 2 line on the printer/fax and run the phone line from the modem to the printer in the 1 line?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Can you plug the phone directly into the 2 line on the printer/fax and run the phone line from the modem to the printer in the 1 line?
    I got it!!!! Plugged data line into the wall, used a RJ-11 splitter [[per the HP instructions)...one line out to the modem...one line out to the phone...one line from phone [[which luckily has a data port) to the fax machine. Signal is fine according to the HP test. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions.

To jcole...it was your last suggestion [[not exactly correct, but made me rethink the hook-up) that got it. Thank you again!

Plugged data line into the wall, used a RJ-11 splitter [[per the HP instructions)...one line out to the modem...
    I'm not sure that makes sense. I'd almost have to see pictures. If you're plugging in to a wall jack and also to the cable modem, I'm confused. Seems like it should be one or the other.

It should really be something like this:

Incoming cable >> Cable Modem >> Splitter >> Fax [[From one port of the splitter), Phone [[From second port of Splitter).
    Last edited by Meddle; July-02-12 at 05:19 PM.

Meddle: The problem with that is you lose strength on the signal as soon as it goes into the modem, so you have to split before it goes there. I don't understand it either, but that part was on a diagram in the HP owner's manual, so I did that first. But the problem was in the fax to phone hookup. When I put the sire from the splitter into the phone first, then to the fax, it worked fine.

But again...thanks for your help!

That's great, Blue; the fact that it works is what counts.