Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

For anyone thats interested, Fox Sports Detroit will televise a Grand Rapids Griffins game this Friday with Ken & Mickey doing the honors

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    For anyone thats interested, Fox Sports Detroit will televise a Grand Rapids Griffins game this Friday with Ken & Mickey doing the honors
    How about a Plymouth Whalers game? They are always one of the better teams in the OHL and they have a huge following here.
    Beats no hockey at all.

I'm really enjoying the classic games Hockey Night In Canada is showing. Great hockey, much better than Bettman's 'New NHL'. When he changed the NHL logo and got rid of the great division names like Norris and Campbell I knew it was going to get bad. The man continues to destroy the game I love. I'll watch the Griffins game. Used to get some Whaler games on local cable a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'm really enjoying the classic games Hockey Night In Canada is showing. Great hockey, much better than Bettman's 'New NHL'. When he changed the NHL logo and got rid of the great division names like Norris and Campbell I knew it was going to get bad. The man continues to destroy the game I love. I'll watch the Griffins game. Used to get some Whaler games on local cable a few years ago.
    I agree. I shudder to think where us sports fans would be if not for the Tiger's postseason run. The Lions are frustrating, as usual. I lost interest in the NBA a while back. The Wolverines might add some excitement this year, but that's about it.

I can't believe the powers that be in the NHL are going this far. Do they not fear the damage that will inevitably caused by this lockout?

What happens after the World Series has ended? I guess I'll have to find a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    I agree. I shudder to think where us sports fans would be if not for the Tiger's postseason run. The Lions are frustrating, as usual. I lost interest in the NBA a while back. The Wolverines might add some excitement this year, but that's about it.

I can't believe the powers that be in the NHL are going this far. Do they not fear the damage that will inevitably caused by this lockout?

What happens after the World Series has ended? I guess I'll have to find a hobby.
    You'd be listening to lockout non-news 24/7 like I am here in Toronto. The city now has 5 all-sports tv stations, 2 all-sports radio stations and 4 major newspapers. Other than "Why did our manager quit on us and go to the Red Sox?" it's non-stop interviews about the lockout. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've already given up hope and moved on and thats a shame for some of us longtime fans of the game [[went to my first game in 1955 ) The NHL has to look at some of these teams who habitually lose money [[12 teams out of 30 ?) and cut some of the fat so there is less revenue sharing from the teams that do turn a profit . The players are fine with the way it is now , more teams , the more players , the more NHLPA members . One would think a players contract would be reward enough , but they want some of the owners profits as well . This lockout is a carbon copy of the last lockout/cancelled season ... but with one difference ... people are really pissed about this one ... nobody does business like this anymore . Both the NHL and NHLPA are taking us fans for granted this time around and should find an excuse to get back to work while they hash out a deal . Until then whatever hockey is on tv I'll watch Whalers etc. ESPN had a London vs Erie OHL game on last week

It appears the lockout may be over pending a vote by the players . I'm sure the networks that show NHL games will be happy , because they pay the NHL for broadcasting right regardless if their playing or not . Now the NHL has to do damage control with the NHL sponsors/advertisers , and they've probably lost some fans along the way [[not this one )

If anyone is interested and able to get Fox Sports Detroit , The Wings and the Grand Rapids Griffins will mix their rosters and play a scrimmage tonight at the Compuware Arena in Plymouth , face off is at 6 p.m. on FSD

Blues fan here.

Best of luck tomorrow. Should be a good season.

wow we got killed, wasn't ready for this start. Cant get off to a slow start because of the short season

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    Blues fan here.

Best of luck tomorrow. Should be a good season.

I know its only one game, but the Blues sure looked good. This could be the year for them, and it's long overdue. Great franchise with great fans.

How can we have so many injuries after being off for 9 months?

I thought it might be interesting to see a possible mass exodus of season ticket holders if indeed the Wings don't make the playoffs. But now I hear season ticket sales are already up for next year with Canadians buying due to more games with Toronto. Makes sense since they can't get a ticket to a Leafs home game.

Some of the players didn't play elsewhere during the lockout and tried to have structured practices on their own , even with players on opposing teams but its not the same as a training camp , pre-season games . I will not miss the western road trips , 10 pm starts and playoff games that last until 2 am or longer . Any Canadian team that comes to the Joe generate more fans from Canada , now that we'll have the Maple Laffs and the Habs in on a regular basis , it will be a good thing and I look forward to be playing more original 6 teams again .

Some of the players didn't play elsewhere during the lockout and tried to have structured practices on their own , even with players on opposing teams but its not the same as a training camp , pre-season games . I will not miss the western road trips , 10 pm starts and playoff games that last until 2 am or longer . Any Canadian team that comes to the Joe generate more fans from Canada , now that we'll have the Maple Laffs and the Habs in on a regular basis , it will be a good thing and I look forward to be playing more original 6 teams again .
    Along that line it will be good to have an influx of out-of-area canadian patronage into the D on a regular basis. Without a doubt, the Leafs and Habs fanbase travel very well. And they will come, stay and spend more regularly than Hawks fans ever did. Hell, most Hawks fans came and stayed in their mom's basement for free and ate her food. LOL

I could care less about this season. I didn't expect them to play anyways.

Having Detroit in the East next season will be exiting, I might actually start watching again. With the exception of Chicago, there is nobody we play on a regular basis worth the time if day.

LGRW!!!!!!!

Duck..... it's what's for dinner!

Name:  duck season.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  playoffs.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  44.2 KB

Worst call of the year. He had the puck. It's hockey. If you have the puck, you might get hit. Really bad call.
    If they want soccer, they should go to a soccer game.

Last edited by Bobl; May-04-13 at 08:44 PM.

Text book body check, just how I learned it in youth hockey and just how I taught it as a coach. Notice the ref right next to the play called nothing. The ref 65 ft away called it. This is what Bettman, a basketball guy, has brought to the NHL. And shame on Shanahan, who was one of my favorite players, drawing a paycheck as a Bettman yesman. If they suspend him its even more of a farce.

Baseball: A sport where hitting is allowed. Perhaps the new NHL should consider allowing hits, too.
    Downriviera: I agree, and this makes me sad, about Mr. Shanahan, one of my favorite players, ever. Bettman I wrote off, years ago.
    "Text book body check" is an accurate description. Did the ref 60 feet away get a phone call?
    What a shame.
    Last edited by Bobl; May-05-13 at 05:47 PM.

Well Bettman finally got his grand wish granted when the Kings finally won a cup last season to very little [[read: absolutely NO) fanfare. I suppose that one should only keep their head up when in open ice and handling.... when it's convenient. 2 minute charging penalty MAX, and even that would draw debate. Whatever, this isn't really a season anyway. Looking forward to play in the Eastern Conference next year. Not that that'll make this team any better, but I am sure that they [[Red Wings) are looking much farther ahead than 2013.

The meeting was scheduled at 4 pm today , Abdelkater went shoulder to shoulder , no strides , glided in . If he gets suspended people will bitch , if he doesn't people will say thats because Shanny played for us . Looked like a legal hit to me , I've seen 5 times worse hits from Kronwall . Just announced Abdelkater got 2 games . Glad to even make it 22 straight years into the playoffs , lots of injuries this season , 3 of our D have zero playoff games , but when you have a college kid come in [[DeKeyser ) play better than a couple of veterans , and Smith looks like a minor league player , Bert needs to retire [[ I think he has spinal stenosis) Samuelsson ? why the hell did we bring him back . Brunner needs to quit the Swiss leauge shit , Cleary needs to go , look for some offseason moves
    Last edited by Wingnatic; May-05-13 at 06:04 PM.

look for some offseason moves
    From a team that was willing to blow big money and land free agents Parise to Suter to signing benchwarmers like Colaiacovo, Tootoo, Samuelsson, and Gustavson in the off season is a farce.

Our best splashes so far have been Brunner and DeKeyser?

As much as I hate to say it, it's time to blow this puppy up and re-build. It's not a word spoken often in Hockeytown but let's face it- the rest of the NHL got much better and we've stood pat resting on past glories.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast