Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default AG Schuette/Legislature could cost Michigan millions in in health insurance funding.

The Snyder administration hasn't been too keen on the idea of abiding by the law.

From what I hear, quite a few states may be opting out.

ONLY 10 SCHEDULED WORKDAYS LEFT BETWEEN NOW AND NOV. 6 !!!!!!!

When did we get a part time legislature??

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The Snyder administration hasn't been too keen on the idea of abiding by the law.
    The Snyder administration / legislature hasn't been too keen on the idea of abiding by ANY law.

Occurrence Guest

Schutte is the idiot who is crusading against our medical marijuana law but now he's calling the health care bill a violation of our liberties?

Please vote this turd out of office. Anyone who voted for this idiot last time should be ashamed of themselves.

Lets have him take on the high cost of car insurance. At least with the Affordable Health Care Act we know we are saving lives. What is the morally right thing to do?

Just a bunch of political grandstanding. Schuette and Gov Scott of Florida are playing to the base. Once the final results are in and Obama is re-elected these guys hat in hand, tails between their legs will be first in line and people will forget how obstinate they were.

If every state receives $9.8M for "planning", 50 x $9.8M = $490M to plan. How hard can it be to set up the second state health exchange after one state has done it? Everyone was so happy about the Supreme Court ruling a couple of days ago and now the fine points of the ruling set in including there being no penalties on states not participating. My guess is that some Republican governors will be bribable and will turn their state over to Obamacare if they get something additional from the federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    If every state receives $9.8M for "planning", 50 x $9.8M = $490M to plan. How hard can it be to set up the second state health exchange after one state has done it? Everyone was so happy about the Supreme Court ruling a couple of days ago and now the fine points of the ruling set in including there being no penalties on states not participating. My guess is that some Republican governors will be bribable and will turn their state over to Obamacare if they get something additional from the federal government.
    $10M/state, $.5B/nationwide is not an atypical budget for this scope.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Originally Posted by oladubIf every state receives $9.8M for "planning", 50 x $9.8M = $490M to plan. How hard can it be to set up the second state health exchange after one state has done it? Everyone was so happy about the Supreme Court ruling a couple of days ago and now the fine points of the ruling set in including there being no penalties on states not participating. My guess is that some Republican governors will be bribable and will turn their state over to Obamacare if they get something additional from the federal government.

$10M/state, $.5B/nationwide is not an atypical budget for this scope.
    as he's such a proponent of states' rights, I'm surprised ola asked this. If every state is going to just have cookie-cutter exchanges, what's the point of having them at the state level?

vetalalumni: $10M/state, $.5B/nationwide is not an atypical budget for this scope.
    You're probably right. I read today that Madison WI paid $250,000 for a planner to make a recommendation about which of three parking lots would work out best as a "farm market". I'm surprised that $9.8M is being used for planning. It seems like one or three states could have gone through a pilot planning project and the rest could have roughly copied for a lot less instead of reinventing the wheel 50 times. Not too many people are being made well for that half billion dollars. To me, a half billion dollars of money is a lot to pay the planners at the trough.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    as he's such a proponent of states' rights, I'm surprised ola asked this. If every state is going to just have cookie-cutter exchanges, what's the point of having them at the state level?
    This is a federal program dumping printed money into it's state subsidiaries which are acting as sub contractors. This isn't quite the same as Massachusetts or Vermont setting up their own health care programs.

edited to add: I just came across these Obamacare info bytes - new information to me. If states don't express their complicity, it seems the federal government will do it the way it wants anyway. "States are required to demonstrate by Jan. 1, 2013, that their exchanges are in progress, and will be operational by the 2014 deadline. If they fall behind, the Department of Health and Human Services would then come in and set up the exchanges."

also, "Low-income residents of a state that opts out of the expansion will likely not be required to pay the fee for not having insurance."
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama...2#.T_NvAo6V98s
    Last edited by oladub; July-03-12 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added quotes and link