Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Happy Canada Day Windsor. So Close, Now So Far Away

There is an interesting Windsor and border story on deadlinedetroit.com by Bill McGraw. It is kind of a 'good old days' reflection reminding us of times when hopping over to Windsor or Detroit could be done without thought. McGraw relates how he and a friend were recently detained at the border and how much cross-border visiting has declined.

The damage created by tightened borders to Detroit and Windsor tourism and business are unavoidable. This mini-Berlin wall splitting our international city is a huge waste with little benefit in terms of security. We really need to have a European Union style treaty to allow free flow of traffic and redeploy security to our airports and salt water borders where the real vulnerabilities are.

That aside, I like to use Canada Day to be reminded of how lucky we on this side are to have such a peaceful and prosperous country as Canada for our neighbor. It is especially true this year when 200 years of peace separate us from terrifying times when cannon fire was being traded across the Straits of Detroit.

Over the last week I spent 4-5 days between Montreal and Toronto. I absolutely loved both cities. Toronto is an amazing world-class city that rivals New York, and in some ways is better than New York.

Happy Canada Day!

We've been very lucky crossing over lately. In the past 2-3 years we have crossed at the Tunnel several times, from Sombra to St. Clair once, at Port Huron and at Buffalo, with absolutely no problems. We got smiled at and waved through most times, with very limited questions on the occasions we got questions. Only one crabby agent who grumpily let us pass after just a few questions, and no problems with our dog. We had the vaccination records and were asked for them only once out of four crossings. I think I am going to have faith that sanity abounds and will return with time.

Happy Canada Day!

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Over the last week I spent 4-5 days between Montreal and Toronto. I absolutely loved both cities. Toronto is an amazing world-class city that rivals New York, and in some ways is better than New York.

Happy Canada Day!
    Hands down better than New York.

Happy Canada Day! Bon Fete du Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Hands down better than New York.

Happy Canada Day! Bon Fete du Canada!

And Toronto even has a song about its main drag - On Yonge Street by Gordon Lightfoot. What does New York have?

oh, yeah

Yes we a very lucky to have Canada as a neighbor ! This year is the 1st time in many years I didn't travel to be with friends in Chatham for Canada but will make the trip over next month vis Algonac > Walpole Island where I've never had any trouble with Canadian Customs since I've been crossing there beginning in about 1968-69 . Happy Canada Day !

Here's a video filmed earlier today of a group of creative Canadians that became bored while waiting for someone to return from a beer run

love the beer can didgeridoo

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post

Happy Canada Day!
    I have to disagree with you on Toronto rivalling NYC. Yes Toronto is a congested city full of people, like Manhatten it has more people pouring into downtown than its transit, freeways, and pedestian paths can handle. That however does not outshadow that the town is built around a couple of big shopping malls that de-mapped the city, that when Detroit and Windsor were de-industialing, most of the waterfront was devoted to public use, and that much of the modern architecture is built pretty shoddily [[with the exception of a few like BCE place). Detroit and Windsor turned industrial land over to parkland while condos dominate T.O.'s waterfront. I have never seen more panhandlers in any city other than Toronto. It has serious problems that are very different than the problems we have but they are problems that the city is not handling very well.

Happy Canada Day!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I have to disagree with you on Toronto rivalling NYC...
    In terms of congestion and density, NYC is still king.

However, my visit to Toronto was amazing. The streets were very clean. The people are nicer. The downtown stretch is more tourist friendly than any part of Manhattan I went to.

Don't get me wrong, NYC is the capital of North America, but Toronto is an amazingly large metro area. They've dedicated a lot into all kinds of mass transit, including subway, street cars, buses, commuter trains, park-n-rides, and amazingly large freeways, including the 20+ lane 401 freeway.

I was at the top of the CN Tower Friday afternoon. The thing I kept seeing over and over again were construction cranes building tower after tower, for miles and miles.

Toronto not only has it's main downtown, it has cluster after cluster of towers throughout the metro area.

The main reason I compared it to New York is because I would have to insult Detroit if I were to use it instead, but it really does rival New York in my opinion.

But, if it makes you feel better I'll pick Boston instead, LOL.

GUSHI Guest

I prefer Boston over New York, toronto seemed very clean to me the half a dozen time I went. I prefer Detroit over ny but I just about prefer anything over ny

Happy [[belated) Canada Day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HGPh8Hjyg8

The drunk was well over his limit. He asked the bartender were he was from. "I'm from Canada", was the reply.

"Canada!", shouted the drunk. "The only people in Canada are hookers and hockey players!"

A huge bruiser next to him turned and said, "Hey, my wife's from Canada!"

Noting the bruisers 250 pounds, he meekly said, "And what position does she play, sir?"

Whew.

Still amazes me that France and Germany killed millions of each others citizens a generation ago, and you can pass more freely between their countries than you can the U.S. and Canada.

I have never had a bad experience on the Canadian side. Can't say the same for this side, when returning from trips to Canada.

Happy 4th of July from Toronto, American cousins. A number of my Toronto friends have gone to Detroit in the last year for the first time ever and loved it. It takes them a day to adjust to the non-walkability factor but then they start to discover the early skyscraper architecture downtown, the DIA, Indian Village, Boston Edison, Detroit's convenient biking, Cliff Bell's... Toronto is not New York or Detroit for that matter - we're pretty fortunate that there is some money in our city right now and a lot of new construction underway, but you guys have more interesting early architecture, a beautiful city plan downtown, great food and a pretty fantastic set of people living there who are doing good things to their city.

What leaves an impression on everyone I hear from is the architecture - Detroit is a city of opulent amazing buildings, unique in America. My humble recommendation would be to do everything you can to keep what you have left. From what I hear from my friends, I think they are going to be a big piece of your city's recovery.

I've stopped going to Windsor because of crossing guards on way back. I'd like to see how much money they've lost since they cracked down over the years.

Thanks southofbloor. Let's join in a toast to the 200 years of peace that this year will separate us the days when Detroit was captured and occupied and Toronto [aka York in those days] was sacked and burned.

This monument on Belle Isle facing Canada says it all.

Default The Soo

Just got back from a trip up to Sault St. Marie. The park surrounding the American locks looks like Ft. Knox. Big iron fencing, guard shacks, armed security walking around, border patrol trucks running up and down the main drag. Big warning signs saying you are entering federal property and are subject to search and seizure and who-knows-what-else.

We took my son on a boat tour through the locks - the Canadian side is completely open. You can stand next to the guy working the locks and watch him do his thing. You can even walk across the locks when they are closed to access the island in the middle of the river.

Time to end this federal make-work program. If you are going to sneak into the country, would you really do it at the lock, with hundreds of people watching? Or would you do it along the thousands of miles of unpoliced border on the other side of the lake? Sheer idiocy.

My last visit home to Detroit, 2 local friends and I went to Windsor to visit a Canadian friend. No problem getting into Canada, but coming home we were stopped for 20 minutes while the agent grilled us with detailed questions about where we went, the specific address of our visit, how we knew each other, how long we knew each other, where I was staying in MI, my rental car agreement, and lots more ridiculous questions. Then he searched my rental car. Not sure if this was done because we were 3 gay men or because he was just a jerk... or both.

I finally got to visit Detroit this past June after having discovered it on the internet 2 years ago. We had originally planned to stay two nights but extended to 3. Amazing, fascinating city, the architecture whether downtown towers or century old residences touch the heart. The wide main arteries and the treed residential streets with large lots. If you had health care, I would consider moving there. I do hope to go back and visit again though.

The customs agent really gave us a hard time; how long are you staying, what is the purpose of your trip, where do you live, where are you staying, are you visiting other places.....? And I am a white fifty something lady who was travelling with my daughter!! It does feel very weird to have to have a passport to enter the US - a sort of clautrophobic feeling.

Detroit made the pages of the Toronto Star this week. Unfortunately not in a way that will attract the tourists that it deserves.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...ings-destroyed

Tony Olando Halfway to paridise, so near yet so far away. use to ride my bike over as a kid needed a note from mom, she never knew I went. only had trouble coming back on bridge , jr. rambos, maybe cause moran owns it

I'm Canadian and don't typically have trouble crossing into the U.S. but I've heard from quite a few Americans who complain about what a hassle it is to get back to the U.S. This doesn't make any sense - they shouldn't be questioning their own citizens about entering their own country.
    When I cross back into Canada, they only ask two questions [[how long I was gone and if I have any alcohol/tobacco). All Canadian customs seem to care about is collecting on any duty - it's irrelevant where I was or who I was with.