Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The 15 Hottest American Cities of the Future - Guess who's is #7

Damn the word's gotten out. OK who spilled the beans!? Now everyone will want to come and all our cool off beat places will be swamped.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-15...he-future.html

Oh, so you're applauding gentrification, huh?

1-6 are already what the author said they will become. actually, most of the list is like 20/20 hindsight

It lists Brooklyn as a city, and also refers to it as one. Brooklyn is a borough\county [[Kings County).

According to a recent YPulse survey, more and more millennials are opting to live in small cities, like Detroit.
    Um, Detroit is considered a "small" city?

Brooklyn used to call itself the 4th largest city in the US. The boroughs were all independent cities until around 1900, and they all still feel like distinct cities. [[heck, Sheepshead Bay and Bay Ridge almost feel like distinct cities too). Brooklyn has it's own government, police force [[Kings County Sheriff - Ed Domanech). Its residents are justifiably proud of its history, and a fair number of them would vote to secede from the city if given a chance.

I've heard, but can't confirm, that even Bed-Stuy is becoming gentrified [[I remember my GF's family would not let me go to the bus stop after Thanksgiving dinner one year and insisted that I stay IN the apartment until the car service showed up, then they all walked me to the car. I thought they were being silly until another white guy got killed at that bus stop the next night)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Um, Detroit is considered a "small" city?
    I just got back from Toronto, and it did make me feel rather insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I've heard, but can't confirm, that even Bed-Stuy is becoming gentrified
    Bed Stuy has been gentrifying like crazy lately. The last time I passed through I couldn't believe it. Million dollar brownstones and precious little independent boutiques and eateries popping up everywhere. You hear Japanese, German, etc.

The list is a little silly since, as others have mentioned, it doesn't really read as a forward-looking piece. I mean, Portland will become popular with hipsters? Brooklyn will attract creatives? Seriously? Was this written in 1990?

Brooklyn used to call itself the 4th largest city in the US. The boroughs were all independent cities until around 1900, and they all still feel like distinct cities. [[heck, Sheepshead Bay and Bay Ridge almost feel like distinct cities too). Brooklyn has it's own government, police force [[Kings County Sheriff - Ed Domanech). Its residents are justifiably proud of its history, and a fair number of them would vote to secede from the city if given a chance.

I've heard, but can't confirm, that even Bed-Stuy is becoming gentrified [[I remember my GF's family would not let me go to the bus stop after Thanksgiving dinner one year and insisted that I stay IN the apartment until the car service showed up, then they all walked me to the car. I thought they were being silly until another white guy got killed at that bus stop the next night)
    Yes, Bed-Stuy is gentrifying lightning fast. The area had been in some stage of gentrification for some time but the recession slowed that down. Now it's back to full speed. It's probably the fastest gentrifying neighborhood in all of NYC right now.

What?? No Ann Arbor?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What?? No Ann Arbor?
    To be honest, Ann Arbor is "gentrifying" too. The demographics aren't changing but there has been a ton of infill going on over the past 6-7 years since the green belt was implemented.

What?? No Ann Arbor?
    Ann Arbor will continue to be a city that lives on unearned wealth in a state that otherwise strangles cities.

Quote Originally Posted by thecarl View Post
    Oh, so you're applauding gentrification, huh?
    Besides the usual "party" line on gentrification, what are the real reasons not to applaud it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Ann Arbor will continue to be a city that lives on unearned wealth in a state that otherwise strangles cities.

what the f* do you mean by that?

what the f* do you mean by that?
    University of Michigan.

It's very hard for Ann Arbor NOT to be a vibrant small town with a top 100 University in its borders
    Last edited by 313WX; July-02-12 at 12:22 PM.

What?? No Ann Arbor?
    Ypsi is the new Ann Arbor.

What with the way the weather's been lately, I thought Lowell was posting about global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    University of Michigan.

It's very hard for Ann Arbor NOT to be a vibrant small town with a top 100 University in its borders
    how is that "unearned"? UM is actually, world-wide, ranked #14, the highest of any public university
    http://www.topuniversities.com/insti...rsity-michigan

the QS system is probably the most transparent and consistent in their ranking methodology

how is that "unearned"? UM is actually, world-wide, ranked #14, the highest of any public university
    http://www.topuniversities.com/insti...rsity-michigan

the QS system is probably the most transparent and consistent in their ranking methodology
    Oh, no! Did somebody make fun of Ann Arbor? What's the world coming to!

Honestly, you look at the government support for the university, the billions of dollars in endowments, the support from the families who send their kids there armed with credit cards, all the money coming from public and private sources, and Ann Arbor is a success, naturally. A shining city in a valley.

That's why it's home to people like Rick Snyder, the same guy who wants to crush all the cities that would dare need revenue-sharing from the state, and who have the temerity to want their own democratically elected leaders.

But don't pay attention to the way Ann Arbor is flooded with money and a captive population of rich kids. I'm sure they're just smarter than all the other struggling cities where they used to actually make stuff.

Oh, no! Did somebody make fun of Ann Arbor? What's the world coming to!

Honestly, you look at the government support for the university, the billions of dollars in endowments, the support from the families who send their kids there armed with credit cards, all the money coming from public and private sources, and Ann Arbor is a success, naturally. A shining city in a valley.

That's why it's home to people like Rick Snyder, the same guy who wants to crush all the cities that would dare need revenue-sharing from the state, and who have the temerity to want their own democratically elected leaders.

But don't pay attention to the way Ann Arbor is flooded with money and a captive population of rich kids. I'm sure they're just smarter than all the other struggling cities where they used to actually make stuff.
    Or in essence, Ann Arbor is an otherwise rural town that's been heavily subsidized by the government through the public education system.

It's nice and all for its small town charm [[like all of the other places in Michigan besides Detroit), but let's not elevate it higher than what it is, a quaint college town that was otherwise in the middle of nowhere. It'll never make up for where Detroit fails in Michigan. A very sizable number of the College Students that live there leave immediately for Chicago after they graduate
    Last edited by 313WX; July-02-12 at 01:50 PM.

What a shame American states for the most part exiled their Capitols and A&M schools to the boondocks. Now glorified cowtowns think they're somehow more virtuous [[when the rest of the state pays their way), and the cities are robbed of architecture and institutions...

end rant

Oh for Petes sakes, I was just being a smart alek... Don't read too much into my comment and come to its defense. Whaddya a bunch of wolverines?

BTW, Detroit has a lot more college students taking classes in it than AA does. AA only has one college, we have at least four. Between WSU, UDM, CCS, WC3 city campuses we rule! In terms of percentage of population? not so much.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-02-12 at 02:32 PM.

What a shame American states for the most part exiled their Capitols and A&M schools to the boondocks. Now glorified cowtowns think they're somehow more virtuous [[when the rest of the state pays their way), and the cities are robbed of architecture and institutions...

end rant
    Are you seriously ranting that AGRICULTURAL SCHOOLS, some of which were founded over 150 years ago, are somehow a boondoggle because they were located in a RURAL AREA? Where would you like the cow college to be? 7 mile and Conant?

Also, UM [[already a school before Michigan even existed as a state) was Ann Arbor's consolation prize after not being chosen as the State Capitol.

Not everything that happened in Michigan government in the last century and a half is a conspiracy to screw Detroit.

The real shame here is that Wayne State, the state's 3rd largest state university and no slouch in the subsidy department, for so long failed so miserably at being a magnet for Detroit the way just about every other school located major cities are.
    Last edited by bailey; July-02-12 at 02:53 PM.

Oh for Petes sakes, I was just being a smart alek... Don't read too much into my comment and come to its defense. Whaddya a bunch of wolverines?

BTW, Detroit has a lot more college students taking classes in it than AA does. AA only has one college, we have at least four. Between WSU, UDM, CCS, WC3 city campuses we rule! In terms of percentage of population? not so much.

And one of them is in the top 200!

end rant
    Isn't Michigan State the state's A&M school?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast