Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Carryout on Mack Ave.

Did the billboard lead to this carryout's demise?

Name:  Bulls Head on Mack Ave. Detroit.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  73.4 KB

This place has been closed for years. Does anyone have any info. on the place? The bull's head has held up well in spite of the elements.
    -DVD

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitVideoDaily View Post
    Did the billboard lead to this carryout's demise?

Name:  Bulls Head on Mack Ave. Detroit.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  73.4 KB

This place has been closed for years. Does anyone have any info. on the place? The bull's head has held up well in spite of the elements.
    -DVD

My girlfriend lusts after this everytime we drive by it.

I'm sure it was empty before that billboard went up...but what a great juxtaposition. Nice catch.

It was in the background of a few scenes in the movie 8 Mile...I'll rewatch 'em to see if it looked occupied then.

Cheers

Supposedly the head is from the Wilson Dairy but I am not sure its the one that used to hang on the Dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That is it! Interesting they go from Mack Ave to E. Jefferson in one frame.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; June-30-12 at 02:26 PM.

When I went to Jackson Jr. High in the late 50's we used to stop there on the way home from school for nickle ice cream cones)...At that time a science teacher from Keating Elementary [[Dickerson & Jefferson) owned it. The last time I remember it being open was in the late 70's or early 80's.

I wonder what's going to happen to that cowhead as the city removes that area from the grid.

It's certainly an eastside landmark IMO, and it'll be a shame to lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I wonder what's going to happen to that cowhead as the city removes that area from the grid.

It's certainly an eastside landmark IMO, and it'll be a shame to lose it.
    Maybe they will put it out to pasture?
    Home on the prairie?

Wow I grew up not far from Wilsons Dairy off I-96! Always wondered were that cow head went. Where is this, east side I believe.... Jefferson or Mack? Someone know?

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Supposedly the head is from the Wilson Dairy but I am not sure its the one that used to hang on the Dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Wow I grew up not far from Wilsons Dairy off I-96! Always wondered were that cow head went. Where is this, east side I believe.... Jefferson or Mack? Someone know?
    13041 Mack Avenue - Detroit, Michigan

^^^ Never mind. I got my answer. I knew I'd seen it when I worked in that area...

There was a milk processing place called Wilson's Dairy near Tillman off W. Warren... it had a sign billboard with a similar looking head on it thru the late eighties when it went out of business...

i grew up several streets away from this place. drove by there about 2 years ago and couldn't believe it was still there.

Thanks for the info @MidTownMs and others. From the look of the Google Maps Street view photo from September 2009 the place was still open. I thought it was closed earlier than that, thought for sure I drove by it before then, and it was closed up. Maybe it reopened for a bit?

I didn't know it was an ice cream shop. For some reason I saw the bull's horns and thought beef! I was thinking the place probably had a great roast beef sandwich or at least hotdogs! lol
    -DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    According to my files, the Wilson's Dairy cow kept guard over I-94 and the Jeffries since 1968. It was taken down in 1983 and put in storage because it had a lot of structural damage. At the time there were plans to restore it.

Here's a shot of the cow.
    http://detroitkidshow.com/wilsoncow.jpg

My girlfriend insists that she's not seen it open in the 18 or so years she's lived on this side of town...but admits she might be wrong.

I'd say the east side needs a Calder Dairy store...anyone want in on this?!

Heh...

someone should just go purloin this iconic cow head, for preservation sakes of course....