Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan Avenue Coalition Progress Since June 1st.

Last time, some of you asked for photos of the progress we have made. Here are some photos. If you want to help in anyway contact us at Name:  Michigan Avenue Before June 29.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  60.8 KBName:  Forest After soil.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  51.5 KBName:  ForestAve flowerbedA.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  70.8 KBName:  Michigan avenue after.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  46.1 KBName:  Forest Ave. After 2.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  69.0 KBMi.avenue.coalition@gmail.com

sorry for the bad formatting, our email is Mi.avenue.coalition@gmail.com I live in Rochester and drive down 3 times a week to water the flowers and maintain them, if someone lives near Forest Avenue in Midtown or by Michigan Avenue in Corktown and would like to help water, that would be a Huge help! Please email if you do, so I'd know who to thank.

French777, you're awesome!

Some more photos from Today!Name:  Michigan Avenue July 1st.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  60.5 KB

Have you contacted greening of Detroit? They have a similar mission and are located right where you were planting.

http://greeningofdetroit.com/contact-us/

Nice to see some folks putting their feet to the ground!

Yes I have! They have been very helpful and quick to respond to any questions or comments I have about what I can do for them and vice versa.

I wish someone would now adopt the stretch of Michigan
    from 14th to Central. Wonder why there's no rush to tear
    down the burned out buildings that fall over onto the sidewalk.

I often think the projects that make the biggest impact are the small ones...not the Broderick Tower rehab, not new Wayne State buildings, not a possible new hockey arena, but those that paint over graffiti, plant flowers, water trees. I visited Detroit for the first time last week since I officially moved east 9 months ago. I drove down Michigan Ave. between downtown and Dearborn. French, I noticed your work, although it didn't click with me that it was YOUR work until later on. The tree bases look great! If I didn't live in Connecticut, I'd be there to help you out. You and your team keep up the fine work!

Michigan Avenue is divided up into several unique segments. There's the downtown to Lodge segment, which bridges fairly well into the Lodge to 20th St./I-75 segment. The next segment is the I-75 to Livernois stretch, which is in pretty rough shape. Then there's Livernois to Wyoming, which was recently completely rehabbed road and streetscape wise, but still needs a lot of help. While it would be great to see more care taken with the "new" stretch near Central, I think Michigan Avenue Coalition's current work is in a good spot. The area near Corktown and between there and downtown has the most promise for redevelopment with several positives already completed or underway.

What about the weeds that are growing on Michigan between the McNamara Building parking lot and Michigan and Third. There is a small tree that need cutting down in that stretch of Michigan. Someone had tried hiding behind that tree with it's low hanging branches.