Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Recreation Centers

My username should now be "movedback" because I did, to Midtown! And now I want to go swimming. The WSU pool is closed for the summer. Figures.

So, I am looking into the the City of Detroit Recreation Centers, namely Williams on Rosa Parks and Coleman A Young, east of Downtown. Does anybody have experience with these? Or any of the others?

I did look into the Downtown YMCA, and it's expensive and you have to pay for parking, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

Brennan Pools open?

I'm looking for an indoor pool for adult-only lap swimming. Sorry, should have put that in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by movingback View Post
    I'm looking for an indoor pool for adult-only lap swimming. Sorry, should have put that in my first post.
    Very limite choices but most likely the only pool is in Warren.

My username should now be "movedback" because I did, to Midtown! And now I want to go swimming. The WSU pool is closed for the summer. Figures.

So, I am looking into the the City of Detroit Recreation Centers, namely Williams on Rosa Parks and Coleman A Young, east of Downtown. Does anybody have experience with these? Or any of the others?

I did look into the Downtown YMCA, and it's expensive and you have to pay for parking, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!
    Wahoo! Welcome home. As for pools, I haven't been to a Detroit rec center in awhile. The one thing I'd generally say, though, is that the less expensive it is, the more crowded it is. Not a little bit crowded. Like insanely crowded.

I mean, it makes sense. It's 95 degrees outside. Many people don't have air conditioning. If it's an inexpensive pool, it'll be you and everyone and everyone's brother.

So YMCA is still probably the best bet. Or go make friends with someone at the City Apartments on Washington for their private pool

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Very limite choices but most likely the only pool is in Warren.
    Well, no, both of the centers I mentioned have what I'm looking for. I just would like to know what I'd be getting myself into if I went. I'd much rather support city services than go to the suburbs and waste gas, if at all possible.

You moved to Detroit now you are looking for city services. Hmmmmm.
    Welcome to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You moved to Detroit now you are looking for city services. Hmmmmm.
    Welcome to Detroit.
    As I said above, clearly, they exist. I just don't know what they're like and am trying to find out. Jesus.

As I said above, clearly, they exist. I just don't know what they're like and am trying to find out. Jesus.
    I can't vouch for the city centers, but I can say that the Boll Family YMCA is fantastic. Yes, you do have to park, but outside of game days, street parking is never a problem. Their sticker price of $70 is high, but they offer a number of discount options. Between their DMC discount and family rate, I pay less than $30.

I would also recommend the DYC. I believe if you are under 35 or so they offer a young professional discount. They have an indoor and outdoor pool. The former is pretty adult oriented, with designated lap lanes.

Have you tried the Belle Isle Beach? Nice fresh Great Lakes water with great views of Detroit.

I second the DYC with has an Olympic size indoor pool. If you're under 33 it will cost you no more than $100 per month. I was pretty unhappy with the Boll for what I paid - about $50/month for a pool that sometimes closed randomly at 7pm and all the classes cost extra. DYC you get indoor pool, outdoor pool, waterfront view, workout facilities [[albeit modest ones, they're not crowded), bar, restaurant, and booze booze booze along with the social aspect. You need a sponsor though.

Most of all welcome back. Midtown is really jumping these days. I'm sure you'll find a suitable place to swim that isn't in Warren.

I don't have experience with the two you mentioined.

I swim at Adams-Butzel off Wyoming on Lyndon.

The summers are better than fall and winter because there aren't a bunch of kids practicing on the swim team.

The facilities aren't in tip-top shape, but this is Detroit why would you expect them to be?

They keep scaling back the hours.

Also i don't remember how much the yearly card is but I'm pretty sure it's less than twenty bucks.

It was open until 9 in the summer/fall.

Then 8:30 this winter.

Now it closes at 7. And no Saturdays.

The last hour is adult swim, but there's a smattering of family/adults only throughout the week.

At least until the next round of butcherings to the budget.

Also pretty sure membership card is less than twenty bucks.
    Last edited by brizee; June-29-12 at 06:46 PM. Reason: More info.

Adult Lap times at CA Young
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...ityCenter.aspx

back out to see the other rec centers.

I was swimming once or twice a week at CAY last year, and it was great! Water temp was always good, staff is nice, locker rooms are decent and it wasn't busy until summertime. Some nights only 2 or 3 of us would be there for adult swim. And sometimes the lifeguards would put the radio on for us [[motown or 70s station). I think they have water aerobics too.

But I would call ahead before you go. The pool is tested daily and if the ph is off or bacteria is to high they close the pool. Didn't happen often, but checking first beats driving there for nothing.

I plan on putting my laps in there again in the fall.

Oh yeah, and the Considene Center on Woodward and Holbrook has a public pool as well.

Second on Adams Butzel which is literally up the Lodge to Wyoming south to Lyndon then right. 20 bucks and a ten minute drive. The parking lot is fairly secure. The hours have been scaled back, as mentioned. If you volunteer for anything up there, the fee can be waived.

They're pretty adamant about your getting naked at CAY. & CAPS LOCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    They're pretty adamant about your getting naked at CAY. & CAPS LOCKS!
    What do u mean, in the locker room?

I never had to get naked to swim there.

Oh, not me... I am scared of 'real' water in terms of getting in it! I want a pool, olympic lanes - four sides and a life guard nearby. But I did not learn to swim until an adult, so I guess I am just a bit water skittish. Nothing like 'watching' the lakes, rivers and oceans from the land. Very relaxing...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Have you tried the Belle Isle Beach? Nice fresh Great Lakes water with great views of Detroit.

I used to go to the Walker Williams center which has/had a great Olympic sized pool but it became a dump in later years, really dirty and run down with alot of car break-ins in that lot and area. I hear it's pretty bad now for sure, with increasing limited hours as all city centers have.

Butzel is good I hear from many. The BOL or whatever they call it downtown has problems with parking as would anything downtown. I used to swim at CAY and it was very nice for a public center.... I may start there again... I am going up to Considine up on Woodward to see what that is like. I will give a report.

Last edited by Zacha341; June-30-12 at 10:01 AM.

Oh! I hear that. I don't like swimming with kids, having been extremely scared to swim in the first place. The only place I can think of that is exclusively adult swim is Fitness Works off West Grand Blvd, New Center. Small pool, but you can lap. No kids, no family swim. Very clean facility, clean shower and locker areas, but very expensive.

They do offer discounts for certain employees, like if you work for Henry Ford Hospital...

Yeah, go tour the facilities is best. For the lower rate places they can be crowded which is a no-no for me as swimmer, but you can beat that by doing the early 7 or 8 AM adult swim sessions that some places have.

Well, no, both of the centers I mentioned have what I'm looking for. I just would like to know what I'd be getting myself into if I went. I'd much rather support city services than go to the suburbs and waste gas, if at all possible.

It's ok, that guy's a d*ck sometimes.

Also, don't befriend someone at the City apts because that pool is way too small for laps.

http://www.keoonline.com/patton.php

You are not to far from Patton Park in SW Detroit.....

You can also try the Northwest Activities Center, located at Meyers and Curtis on the northwest side of Detroit. I believe they open at 6:00 a.m., but again, I would call ahead and check.

I went up to the Considine center up on Woodward near Clairmont... it was ok, a bit shabby but over all well maintained. For certain it is a good resource for youth as they have a large indoor basketball court. The pool while seemingly clean was the somewhat small and slopped to the deepest end in the center. I prefer a pool that slops on one end with the shallow on the other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast