Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Brass Rail Wood Carving [[Help!)

I am hoping to find some information on who the artist was that carved these men, and when it came to be a part of the Brass Rail Facade. I haven't been able to turn up anything in my research. Does anyone know any history behind this, or have an idea of where I can find the answers I'm looking for? Please help!! Thank you!!

If k&m is the owner you would think that you would have known this prior to purchasing it. Any Boeskys still around?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If k&m is the owner you would think that you would have known this prior to purchasing it. Any Boeskys still around?
    I'm looking for the artist information [[ if he was local, if he did any other carvings in the Detroit area ), and when it came to be apart of the Brass Rail specifically [[was it original, etc).

You can still see the carving from the now-gone original Brass Rail bar facing Grand Circus Park; it's indoors since 1987, at the Adair Bar, 8033 Saint Clair Hwy., Casco; 810-329-3056. I hear the original woodcarver's grandnieces come in regularly, so you should be able to make a call and find the info you're looking for.

Any luck, k&m? I'm curious too!

Leonard D. Jungwirth was the sculptor.

http://books.google.com/books?id=p7G...etroit&f=false

Good work, townone!

Actually the piece is signed "J. Jungwirth", who I believe is Leonard's father. [[I'm not sure if they were working together) It is also signed by Rog Voy Artitechs. I contacted them and they informed me that it's possible that Ted Rogvoy designed the piece and commissioned Jungwirth to carve it. Apparently Ted was quite the go-getter during the depression, and would go from place to place in Detroit trying to get people to buy his designs.

Unfortunately I still have not been able to find dates on when the Brass Rail and the carving came together, and to be honest I can't even find dates as to when the 3 Brass Rails opened and closed. I contacted the Detroit Historical Society, but haven't heard back yet.

From Wikipedia:
    Leonard D. Jungwirth [[October 18, 1903 – 1963[1] or 1964[2]) American sculptor born in Detroit, Michigan. He studied with his father Joachim Jungwirth, a Detroit wood carver. His formal education was furthered at the School of Fine Arts and Wayne State University [[B.A., 1927) both in Detroit. He spent 1929 through 1933 studying at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Munich, Germany.
    He returned to Detroit where he taught at Wayne State from 1936 to 1940. During some of that period he also served as a supervisor in the WPA's Federal Art Project, for whom he created several works, notably a statue of Gabriel Richard located at the entrance to the Belle Isle Bridge.
    In 1940 he moved to East Lansing, Michigan, where he was employed at what is now Michigan State University. He remained there until his death in 1963 or 1964. While there he created his [[arguably) best known work, The Spartan. Jungwirth also made the Stations of the Cross for St. Thomas Aquinas Church in East Lansing.
    So Joachim Jungwirth was a wood carver, huh... Bet that he and not his son did it.

And really, reading up on Joachim, he seemed to be THE woodcarver to go to in Metro Detroit and Windsor. He did the Garland stove [[allegedly) and carvings in Cranbrook, among others.

Jungwirth’s work is in many prominent Detroit buildings, including the Masonic Temple, the Fischer brothers mansions, Detroit Yacht Club and many theaters and churches.
    Last edited by townonenorth; July-02-12 at 10:36 AM.

Yes it seems that way. This is the only bio information I was able to find on J. Jungwirth :

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=10804195+

I also found a few pieces he did through a Cranbrook auction.

I'm hoping to hear back from the Historical Society for the Brass Rail info. We [[Kruse and Muer) are having the carving restored, and my boss wanted the bio on it.

I also thought you guys might find the communication I had with a gentlemen from Rog Voy interesting... See below:

"From past discussions about this piece with the former owners of our firm, the legend is;
    Ted Rogvoy was the architect for the Brass Rail in Detroit. Ted was a amateur cartoonist and designed the figure as a part of the back bar in the restaurant. The figure was fabricated by somebody, presumably Jungwirth, from Ted Rogvoy’s design.
    I don’t know when it was transferred to its current location. I can only speculate that maybe the DuMichelle Gallery downtown brokered the piece…that’s a guess…if you wanted to reach out to them as a possible source.

Ted Rogvoy started his business in 1929 in Detroit [[during the Great Depression). He worked the merchants, restaurant owners, and bar owners in downtown Detroit and convinced them to redo their facilities. I suspect that Ted’s contact with the Brass Rail came along in a
    similar fashion. He would draw sketches for the owners on napkins while drinking in the bars!

Ted’s photo is on the wall of our conference room. He was our inspiration for getting through the last few very tough financial years.
    We would say that “If Ted could start his business during the Great Depression. We could make it through the Great Recession!”

JOACHIM JUNGWIRTH
    Joachim Jungwirth of the firm of J. Jungwirth & Company of Detroit,
    was born in Austria in 1860, a son of Joseph and Catherine Jungwirth.
    He pursued his education in the schools of his native land and afterward
    worked in Vienna and in Germany in different modeling and wood carv-
    ing shops, his practical experience giving him an excellent knowledge of
    the trade and winning him a diploma in Vienna in 1881. The following
    year he crossed the Atlantic in company with his father and mother and
    made his way to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, where his two brothers and two
    sisters had already located. There he worked at wood carving on hacks
    which were manufactured in that city but at the end of a year removed
    to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he did cabinet work in furniture
    factories.
    In 1884 Mr. Jungwirth arrived in Detroit, where he entered the employ
    of Wagner & Reuter, carvers and modelers. He had previously learned
    modeling, as it was a necessary adjunct to wood carving. In 1886 he be-
    came a partner in the firm that is now operating under the name of
    Reuter & Company, his associates at that time being Richard Reuter
    and Richard Krakow. The business was then located at what was 32
    Farmer street and Mr. Jungwirth was identified with the enterprise until
    1900, when he withdrew from the firm and started business independently
    under the name of J. Jungwirth & Company. For a few years he had a
    partner and on the death of his associate became sole owner of the busi-
    ness, which he has since carried on alone. For a considerable period he
    was located at Broadway and Grand River avenue and when the building
    which he occupied there was torn down he removed to Congress street,
    where he remained until 1927, when he purchased his present building
    from the city. It had previously been a fire department station but he
    transformed it for his own purposes and now has quarters well lighted
    and supplied with the necessary equipment for modeling, carving, press-
    ing, etc. He also has a carving machine for roughing out duplication
    work. He employs about twenty-five men, including apprentices, but
    many in his employ are skilled craftsmen. He does fine carving for both
    inside and outside use in oak, mahogany, pine and other woods. He has
    also done fine carving on furniture, mantels and other household decora-
    tions. He likewise does modeling for bronze work of all kinds and the
    greater part of his productions are done after the architects' plans. He
    has received contracts for much work for churches, residences and fine
    buildings, including the Masonic Temple. He has done residential work
    for several of the Fishers, for J. T. Couzens and other prominent citizens
    of the Detroit area. Formerly he did much carving for boats, including
    the Western States, the City of Cleveland, the City of Detroit and boats of
    the Hudson River Day Line. His activities have not been confined to
    Detroit, for he has secured and executed many important contracts for
    work in the east.
    Mr. Jungwirth was married in Grand Rapids, Michigan, to Miss Eliza-
    beth Heimes, who was born in Westphalia, Germany, and was brought
    to America when nine months old. Mr. and Mrs. Jungwirth became the
    parents of twelve children, of whom the eldest, Joseph, who was born
    in Grand Rapids and who died at the age of thirty years, had studied in
    Vienna, where he had won a very high prize, thus proving himself an
    artist of exceptional ability. The others are: Mary and Elsie, both at
    home; Raymond, who is with the Island Creek Coal Company of Detroit;
    John, who is associated with his father in business and who is married and
    has two children, Betty and John; Hilda, now the wife of L. Owen and the
    mother of two children, Joseph and Louise; Lenora; Margaret; Evelyn;
    Leonard, who is studying sculpture in Munich; Frank, engaged in busi-
    ness with his father; and Dorothy, a teacher in the Scripps school.
    Mr. Jungwirth is a member of the Harmonie Society but has devoted
    the greater part of his time and attention to the development of his
    business with the result that his efforts have been highly satisfactory to
    his patrons and have been a source of remuneration to himself. He has
    one of the leading establishments of the kind in Detroit and deserves much
    credit for what he has accomplished.

Incredible! Where did you find that?

Quote Originally Posted by k&m View Post
    Incredible! Where did you find that?
    History of Wayne County and the city of Detroit, Michigan / Clarence M. Burton, M. Agnes Burton, editors ; H.T.O. Blue and Gordon K. Miller, associate editors. v.5

Copy at the Hathi Trust site.

But, now that we know that Jungwirth had a company with 25 men, one really never knows exactly who or how many people actually worked on the piece. I guess that information would have died with the company. If I ever find out when the Brass Rail bars opened, I'll let you know.

Edit: Not seeing any reference to any openings, it was owned by William Boesky, father of the infamous Ivan.

One way to find out for sure, the Manning Brothers photography company took pictures of businesses that opened in Detroit, perhaps there's pictures taken from that era that indicate when they opened.

Since Jungwirth died in 1940, perhaps it was carved by his company before that, or after, if his company survived. MAYBE... Leonard took over the company?
    Last edited by townonenorth; July-03-12 at 08:01 AM.

According to this patent filed Nov. 19, 1941, Joseph Freedman created the design for the storefront July 28, 1941.
    http://www.google.com/patents/USD133208.pdf

Name:  Brass Rail drawing.jpg
Views: 4275
Size:  83.0 KB

http://detroitgayhistory.blogspot.co...n-gay-bar.html
    AnonymousFebruary 11, 2010 11:52 PM
    My grandfather [[Joe Freedman) and uncle [[Bill Boesky-yes the father of Ivan) founded the Brass Rails. All 3 of them. In time my grandfather owned them outright and my uncle operated Darby's. Also prior to the rails my grand father also ran the 1040 Club where the Purple Gang hung out and also blew up the door man who went to get someones car [[bummer for him). As well the Purple gang used to carry my grandma an aunts books to school when they were all little kids. My father sold the last Rail in the early 70's and thus ended an era.
    The intended target of the car bombing at the 1040 Club, Harry Millman, was subsequently killed at Boeskey's Deli.
    http://www.retrokimmer.com/2010/09/d...rple-gang.html

http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookread...Last_Call.html
    Among the suspected smugglers arrested during the Toledo frenzy was a young Detroit delicatessen owner, Sam Boesky. Sam’s son Ivan, who would become the most notorious stock market operator convicted in the insider-trading scandals of the 1980s, called one of the firms he set up to handle his market activity Farnsworth & Hastings Ltd.—a name he took from the location of the deli Sam ran [[and from which the police believed he sold contraband liquor) at the corner of Farnsworth and Hastings streets in Detroit’s East Side Jewish ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    According to this patent filed Nov. 19, 1941, Joseph Freedman created the design for the storefront July 28, 1941.
    http://www.google.com/patents/USD133208.pdf

Name:  Brass Rail drawing.jpg
Views: 4275
Size:  83.0 KB

The intended target of the car bombing at the 1040 Club, Harry Millman, was subsequently killed at Boeskey's Deli.
    http://www.retrokimmer.com/2010/09/d...rple-gang.html
    Excellent find! So that leaves out the speculation [[mostly) as to the designer of the figurines, which leaves out Rogvoy as the creator of THAT portion of the Brass Rail. He and his company could have been the designer of the rest of the bar, but I think that if one thing is patented, usually it's the creator that does the patenting... IMHO.

The patent is very exciting!

The historical society got back to me with the following prelim information on the Brass Rail [[s):

As far as dates…a quick review of Detroit City Directories…
    The name “Brass Rail” first appears in the 1936 City Directory as a bar at 4409 Elmhurst, owned by Forest Lewis. In 1937, the name is on an establishment at 116 Michigan Avenue. Joseph Freedman is president, William Boesky is listed as secretary/treasurer. It remains at that address until WWII – no directories were printed then, so there is a gap in our records.

Things get confusing after the War. In 1954, there are two Brass Rails owned by Boesky – one at 20 W. Adams, the other at 6545 Woodward, just south of Grand Blvd. 1964 shows the Brass Rail Chop House on Adams operated by Boesky, and the Brass Rail Bar on Woodward operated by Al Shomsky. By 1968, only the Woodward bar is listed, under manager Shomsky. In 1974, same location, managed by R.E. Guastuelo. Final listing for the Brass Rail is in the 1982 phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Excellent find! So that leaves out the speculation [[mostly) as to the designer of the figurines, which leaves out Rogvoy as the creator of THAT portion of the Brass Rail. He and his company could have been the designer of the rest of the bar, but I think that if one thing is patented, usually it's the creator that does the patenting... IMHO.

The piece is signed on the left foot with "Rog Voy Architects" and the right foot with "J. Jungwirth & Co" ... So I'm assuming they had something to do with it.

The piece is signed on the left foot with "Rog Voy Architects" and the right foot with "J. Jungwirth & Co" ... So I'm assuming they had something to do with it.
    I guess if you were the ones responsible for figuring a way to securely mount something to a wall, the signature would make sense. But, now that you mention that Joseph Freedman was the president of the Brass Rail at one point, perhaps that Rog Voy designed the building and the carving, then Joe patented it. Of course there's no way of knowing that now, I guess.

That was going to be my answer; Joachim Jungswirth. A lot of carvings that you see in older buildings and homes around the city were done by his company.

The patent is very exciting!

The historical society got back to me with the following prelim information on the Brass Rail [[s):

As far as dates…a quick review of Detroit City Directories…
    The name “Brass Rail” first appears in the 1936 City Directory as a bar at 4409 Elmhurst, owned by Forest Lewis. In 1937, the name is on an establishment at 116 Michigan Avenue. Joseph Freedman is president, William Boesky is listed as secretary/treasurer. It remains at that address until WWII – no directories were printed then, so there is a gap in our records.

Things get confusing after the War. In 1954, there are two Brass Rails owned by Boesky – one at 20 W. Adams, the other at 6545 Woodward, just south of Grand Blvd. 1964 shows the Brass Rail Chop House on Adams operated by Boesky, and the Brass Rail Bar on Woodward operated by Al Shomsky. By 1968, only the Woodward bar is listed, under manager Shomsky. In 1974, same location, managed by R.E. Guastuelo. Final listing for the Brass Rail is in the 1982 phone book.
    One of them was said to have something like the longest bar in town.

Also, the one on Adams was where singer Johnnie Ray was busted for soliciting.

From a little casual Googling, it's my understanding that the design patented must be put into commercial use within one year of the application date. If I'm right and they did things correctly, that means the storefront was up by Nov. 19, 1942 at the latest and Nov. 19, 1940 at the earliest. But I don't think it would have gone up before the date given for the design - July 28, 1941.

I found some examples of Ted Rogvoys cartoons from his 1923 Detroit Junior College Yearbook. There are six strips in all.

http://www.reuther.wayne.edu/files/D...rbook_1923.pdf
    "The staff organized by Ted Rogvoy as late as May 15 has labored diligently to produce this book and feels plenteous compensation for its work in the production of the first junior College Annual."

Sartling Developments

Jaycik -- Huck Priebe's Rival
    Last edited by Brock7; July-07-12 at 02:27 AM.

Excellent work gentlemen. K&M has a wealth of info to provide his patrons.
    I am always impressed when this forum puts it brain towards historical research.

Agreed, Gnome. This is what the forum was built for, not the racial bickering.

Stromberg2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast