Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 1914 Packard Bus on Shopry - more details please

While looking at Shorpy today I saw this 1914 Packard Bus.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/13196#comments

The canopy on the building [[above the Paige automobile) in the background looks familiar, but I cannot place it. Does anyone know the location of this photo?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The answer is on Shorpy's site. Its on the corner of Woodward and Henry Street. Henry is one block north of the Fisher Freeway on the west side of Woodward. Henry turns into Winder on the east side of Woodward. Here is an image of the building circa 1915 from the Burton Historical Collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think thats Detroit. The Department store name is not local.

*edit.... Outstanding job p69!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-27-12 at 10:16 AM.

Hello p69rrh51:

Yes, I was a little and asked first before researching. I found the same information you did. Plus the 1914 Book of Detroiters gave the history of Mr. Taylor and the City of Detroit Book 1701 to 1922 Vol. 3 gave a detailed history of Mr. Woolfenden.

And Yes, the store was in Detroit - it went out of business about 1915. the address for Mr. Taylor was 385 - 389 Woodward. That must be consistent with the Herny St. corner?
    Last edited by Packman41; June-27-12 at 10:57 AM.

385-389 Woodward turns into 2477 in the 1921 renumbering of Woodward which puts it right at the southwest corner of Henry and Woodward.

I was the commenter on Shorpy who provided the location information and the 1914 advertisement for this store.

I also have another comment in the queue titled "Corner of 14th and Ash" that provides the location of the house in the "Furnished Rooms: 1914" photo.

Edit: That comment was just published and it describes how I arrived at my conclusion that the house was on the corner with Ash St.
    Last edited by Mikeg; June-27-12 at 10:47 AM.

It strikes me how that bus could be considered a failed experiment.
    The driver is sitting pretty low and in the center, maybe even to the right of center. No mirrors. How could he pull out into traffic?
    That must be why the side of the bus is scraped up.