Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Warren teenager shot in Centerline fireworks show.

I hope this shit eventually gets under control.

The city is getting wilder than I've seen it in my lifetime.

The suburbs are starting to regularly show symptoms that weren't there ten years ago.

Even the cities I was looking to relocate to[[Chicago/Philadelphia) seem to be losing their minds.

Maybe, just maybe, you cannot move away from this...in the better neighborhoods, it is more likely to encounter someone medicated by pharmaceuticals which allow the psyche to do horrible things...since the feedback mechanism which seems to engage the conscience is severely stunted.

I think it is the sign of the times...an entire generation KNOWING they've got no future, so they'll grab what they want when they want it. Groomed and programmed by the television they were raised by.

Damn shame, but that is the trend if one allows themselves to see it clearly.

Sincerely,
    John

Shollin Guest

Center Line hasn't had a murder since 2003. Just because one shooting happened doesn't mean it's an epidemic and the city is going down hill. Center Line has a crime rate below the national average.

I also enjoyed the irony that 10 years ago the symptoms weren't there, but it was 10 years ago when Center Line had their last murder.
    Last edited by Shollin; June-27-12 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Center Line hasn't had a murder since 2003. Just because one shooting happened doesn't mean it's an epidemic and the city is going down hill. Center Line has a crime rate below the national average.

I also enjoyed the irony that 10 years ago the symptoms weren't there, but it was 10 years ago when Center Line had their last murder.
    Thank you for the rational thinking.

Might I add, when you say "symptoms", OP, what are you talking about? I think it's par for the course when the state is in an economic depression.

Call out the National Guard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Thank you for the rational thinking.

Might I add, when you say "symptoms", OP, what are you talking about? I think it's par for the course when the state is in an economic depression.
    Purse snatching in Somerset

Carjacking in Oakland Mall.

Liquor stores with bars on the windows along John R.

Things the "suburbs"[[and I hate that term lumping dozens of disparate communities together when it just means not Detroit) didn't really have a reputation for.

I agree: One shooting does not a crime wave make.

But I think what this has a lot to do with is perceptions. Perceptions of safety and perceptions of home values, schools and crime.

Perceptions, founded or unfounded, do have real effects on the way we live.

Especially when our regional solution of choice is to pack up and move a few miles away if we can afford it.

Shollin Guest

Oh noes, a purse snatching. I can't shop in Troy now.

I was born in Detroit , lived there over 30 years . I've lived and worked in Center Line the last 26 years , and seen the city change specifically the last 3-4 years . And I won't bother sugar coating the reason why , the residents know why .

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I agree: One shooting does not a crime wave make.

But I think what this has a lot to do with is perceptions. Perceptions of safety and perceptions of home values, schools and crime.

Perceptions, founded or unfounded, do have real effects on the way we live.

Especially when our regional solution of choice is to pack up and move a few miles away if we can afford it.
    This.

We need to invest in all our communities instead of just thinking about where to move when everything goes sour.

At the Centerline fireworks there were people standing in the middle of the street flashing gang signs just before the shooting. [[From a very reliable source). Centerline never had a gang problem so where are the gangs coming from now?

The big difference here is that this stuff happens very infrequently in the suburbs and when it does happen it usually gets prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    The big difference here is that this stuff happens very infrequently in the suburbs and when it does happen it usually gets prosecuted.
    True. However, the big difference in this day and age are property values. I could not believe that when I looked at listings in Warren and Centerline they were in large part less than my neighborhood in Detroit. When you have houses going for 12k the dregs of society can pool their money [[they save a little by not buying a lawnmower) and pile 9 people into a house and settle their differences with guns. Don't believe me? I've seen it happen, and I still call Detroit home, proudly. Soon the police department that in the 1990's was whiling away the hours under the clear suburban skies at Dunkin' Donuts will be overwhelmed. It's the new reality, and the sooner one accepts it, the easier it will be falling back to sleep after getting awoken by gunfire and getting along with your drug dealer next-door-neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    This.

We need to invest in all our communities instead of just thinking about where to move when everything goes sour.
    What exactly does this mean, "invest in all our communities"? Do you have a specific approach in mind, one that has shown tangible results in similar circumstances? My experience is that "investing" as such is most often synonymous with throwing money down a hole without long-lasting results.

like Redford. A once beautiful, crime free community, now flooded with refuges from Detroit filling it with crime never seen there before. I am not talking about 'soft crime,' I am taking about murders, drive by shootings, rapes, break-ins,
    First of all, Redford Township was never beautiful, except maybe when it was undeveloped farmland.

Maybe you are talking about Old Redford?

Redford Township has seen an influx of Detroiters and there's a noticeable increase in rentals, but the parts that I am familiar with are just as dull as they were in the 70's and 80's.
    There were small-time hoodlums back then, just as there are now..

Shollin Guest

I still find it amusing that thefts, auto thefts, burglaries, and rapes are all lower now than in 2001 and the city hasn't had a murder since 2003, yet it's chaos and the neighborhood is changing. Even more amusing is the fact Center Line is well below national average in crime and Ferndale, which people think more positively about, has a higher crime rate but a yuppie downtown.
    Last edited by Shollin; June-28-12 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenmiester View Post
    Wrong, don't blame it on economic depression. It is the same old group of people. These people are the exact same if times are good or times are bad. Detroit has been bled of all that it has to give. So now the criminals are starting on the suburbs. Notice, the cities closest to Detroit are hit first...like Redford. A once beautiful, crime free community, now flooded with refuges from Detroit filling it with crime never seen there before. I am not talking about 'soft crime,' I am taking about murders, drive by shootings, rapes, break-ins, the hard core ghetto garbage that has gone on for far too long.
    Look what happened to Southfield. A city that once had beautiful homes, untouched by crime. Then it was invated by Detroiters that have all but destoyed the entire city. Now it begins to crumble! It is a shame, a real shame.
    Are you familiar with the idea that the problem isn't marauding Detroiters, but a society that refuses to invest in cities, educate young people, and instead chooses to move away and withdraw support when faced with problems? I know you're kinda new here, and you sound pretty old-school, but I think you should be prepared to have that discussion if you're going to share here. Don't forget, a fair amount of the people who post here are current Detroiters who might object to the narrative you're pushing.

Just sayin'...

America tolerates a level of poverty that no other similarly affluent country does. We need to keep people up above the threshold where more people than would otherwise become criminals. That means ensuring basic needs and a level of comfort that matches the affluence of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    America tolerates a level of poverty that no other similarly affluent country does. We need to keep people up above the threshold where more people than would otherwise become criminals. That means ensuring basic needs and a level of comfort that matches the affluence of the country.
    I'm interested in what you think of when you say America "tolerates" poverty. It implies class warfare and abandonment, but doesn't acknowledge citizens that CHOOSE poverty.

[QUOTE=Shollin;328133 Even more amusing is the fact Center Line is well below national average in crime and Ferndale, which people think more positively about, has a higher crime rate but a yuppie downtown.[/QUOTE]

While that is somewhat interesting, are you actually amused or surprised that people are more enthusiastic about Ferndale than Centerline?? People are willing to tolerate a reasonable degree of crime in exchange for living in a reasonably interesting place.

The downtown may indeed be "yuppie" but it sure as hell beats the nuts out of the same bland junk you find everywhere else. In Ferndale, for example, in one evening you could go see live theatre, and walk to get drinks and dinner. In Centerline you get to watch the paint dry after your trip to ABC Warehouse [[which is the only place I've ever been in Centerline because why else would anyone go there?)

Very sad and I cant say i'm surprised. Lots of people living in a home on E.Robinwood and Brinker. Child goes missing and a Southfield cadaver dog finds her hidden under a pile of clothes. A comment on a news site pointed out a detail. If you google map the corner there are a bunch of people on the porch, if you zoom in one of em is pointing a gun at the google car.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Just wow... That's all I can say.

Your discovery could go viral pretty quickly...

Here's the next frame where he's actually pointing it directly at the car:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Brink...4S8cIzC2Q&z=17

F-ing punk-thugs.
    Last edited by Scottathew; June-30-12 at 09:19 PM.

Glenmiester said -- Look what happened to Southfield. A city that once had beautiful homes, untouched by crime. Then it was invated by Detroiters that have all but destoyed the entire city. Now it begins to crumble! It is a shame, a real shame. -- end of quote

Actually, I would like to point out that Southfield is doing just fine. Our neighborhoods are strong and we have a lot of civic minded people who are working for the good of their neighborhoods and the whole community. You can still buy a great home in a great neighborhood for unbelievable prices but you might want to do it quick, they are not languishing on the market at all. I follow the weekly community crime reports on Facebook, Southfield Police Department. There isn't a whole lot going on and Southfield's finest tend to catch the bad guys more often than not. You wouldn't be mistaking integration for crime, would you?

are those security cams on the house or downed gutters? Guess you want to know if you're about to get raided. Ive seen another gun pointed at the google car in Detroit. I think it was a few blocks north of Trowbridge on the east side of the woodward somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast