Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Community meeting and hearing for Complete Streets Ordinance in Detroit

As we anticipate the release of Detroit's Complete Streets Ordinance from the city's Law Department, who has been analyzing the language and ideas of the document since 2011, the Mayor's office is holding a community meeting to get feedback from residents about their ideas for a Complete Streets law in Detroit.
    While the City Planning Commission, Planning and Development Department, DDOT, and the Department of Health and Wellness Promotion have issued statements and letters in support of the ordinance, we should not expect all public and government entities to support the idea.
    Come en mass June 27 at 7 pm to the Erma Henderson Auditorium on the 13th floor of the Municipal Center to voice your opinions and ideas in support of Complete Streets in Detroit.

http://www.wearemodeshift.org/commun...inance-detroit

You did a fine job of copying and pasting the information that also appears on the link. I read it there a second time after following your link. Perhaps I didn't have one more link-click left in me, but could you elaborate [[in your own words, if necessary) on what the Complete Streets Ordinance is all about?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    You did a fine job of copying and pasting the information that also appears on the link. I read it there a second time after following your link. Perhaps I didn't have one more link-click left in me, but could you elaborate [[in your own words, if necessary) on what the Complete Streets Ordinance is all about?
    The complete street oridinance would require that all modes of transportation be taken in to consideration when any work takes place on a road, many other cities/counties in the state have adopted complete ordindances or resolutions.

http://michigancompletestreets.wordp...policy-center/
    Last edited by MSUguy; June-26-12 at 08:15 PM.

I believe the state has put a complete streets law into effect. Maybe it was only a policy resolution... not sure. I'd love to have that in effect, just to put some limitations on traffic in residential and commercial areas, if for no other reason.
    Last edited by Parkguy; June-26-12 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    I believe the state has put a complete streets law into effect. Maybe it was only a policy resolution... not sure. I'd love to have that in effect, just to put some limitations on traffic in residential and commercial areas, if for no other reason.
    The State has, and it is a law, section 247.660p of the State Trunk Line Highway System Act [[PA 51 of 1951, as amended). However, it only directly and immediately affects roads under the jurisdiction of MDOT. Written into the law is a provision whereby it will start, over time, to affect other road projects for which state or federal money is used.

It is very beneficial [[if you agree that complete streets is a good idea) for counties and municipalities to adopt a complete streets policy, so I applaud the City for this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    The complete street oridinance would require that all modes of transportation be taken in to consideration when any work takes place on a road, many other cities/counties in the state have adopted complete ordindances or resolutions.

http://michigancompletestreets.wordp...policy-center/
    Thank you. That was helpful.