Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Symptoms of a Detroit Syndrome?

This afternoon, Jian Ghomeshi on the extraordinary interview show Q from the CBC...broadcast on WDET in our market [[thanks guys)...had a segment on a curious syndrome noticed with visitors to Paris who had a tough time reconciling their expectations with the reality they were presented with upon arriving for their visit.

The American author of a story on this phenomena detailed how people arrive in Paris with only the popular culture view of the city, ending up having a wild range of symptoms including hallucinations when the harsh rudeness of the majority of Parisians destroyed their romantic illusions.

We have the opposite situation here...most people's expectations are really, really, really low...due to the popular culture using us as their punchline and punching bag for so long.

What would be possible symptoms of a Detroit Syndrome?!

I used to induce it often, hanging with Jams down at the old Beaubien Street Saloon...then later at Foran's Grand Trunk and The Park Bar. Meet folks from out-of-town, then melt their minds with niceness. I know I am not alone, because we hear it constantly...Detroit may have its troubles, but the people largely are survivors with a soft side for visitors.

Oddly, I occasionally get texts from a few of 'em that I've traded numbers with, at least confirming they've made it to their destinations using my directions. Just to say hello, and they've been jonesing for another visit!

Anyone else? How does Detroit meet up with visitor's expectations?!

Cheers,
    John

Speaking of Jams, have you seen him lately?

As for Detroit Syndrome, visitors expecting to be shot on touchdown in Detroit are shocked to find that Detroiters are friendly and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Speaking of Jams, have you seen him lately?

As for Detroit Syndrome, visitors expecting to be shot on touchdown in Detroit are shocked to find that Detroiters are friendly and helpful.
    Talked with him a bit over a month ago...the restaurant/bar he is working at in Allen Park had a catastrophic roof failure which has now been fixed.

I suggest the reinstatement of the rolling weekly meetups start with a visit there...we'll surprise the heck out of him!

Cheers!

Sounds like another t-shirt slogan...

"Detroit- Where they kill you with kindness"

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Sounds like another t-shirt slogan...

"Detroit- Where they kill you with kindness"

...should they run out of bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    ...should they run out of bullets.
    Nice.

I just learned that WDET is one of only TWO NPR stations airing Ghomeshi's "Q". I'd like to quadruple those kudos to the management there...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Nice.

I just learned that WDET is one of only TWO NPR stations airing Ghomeshi's "Q". I'd like to quadruple those kudos to the management there...
    They have a You Tube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Qtv

Very cool. Funny how little I need the visuals, though. He makes such great radio.

Very cool. Funny how little I need the visuals, though. He makes such great radio.
    Agreed, "Q" is an outstanding show. It is also sometimes filmed and broadcast on CBC-TV. WDET should promote it more as a way to highlight our region's uniquely strong connection with Ontario and Canada.

"Q" is fantastic. I'm a regular listener [[via CBC) and huge fan. Its my 'go to' on web listening at cbc.ca/player/Radio/Q/

The website is simply: cbc.ca/q

This afternoon, Jian Ghomeshi on the extraordinary interview show Q from the CBC...broadcast on WDET in our market [[thanks guys)...had a segment on a curious syndrome noticed with visitors to Paris who had a tough time reconciling their expectations with the reality they were presented with upon arriving for their visit.

The American author of a story on this phenomena detailed how people arrive in Paris with only the popular culture view of the city, ending up having a wild range of symptoms including hallucinations when the harsh rudeness of the majority of Parisians destroyed their romantic illusions.
    John, I've been to Paris several times, can speak a little bit of French [[not a lot). In all my visits to Paris I have always been warmly treated, and never been rude to. However... if you make an effort and try just a little bit to converse with them in their language, then they will be nice to you. But if you demand English... well guess what... you get what you ask for...

I'm with ya, you're preaching to the choir, Gistok.

I didn't invent the syndrome, I'm merely sharing the reporting of it...and juxtapositioning it with our situation here.

It devolved into a discussion of the radio show...and now the intracacies of avoiding the French's inherent rudeness...which is legendary...that seems to trigger this syndrome.

My first French teacher in high school warned us against it, and said the exact same thing you did. Doesn't stop the Syndrome, just one's personal encounter with the triggers.

She also told us they eat chocolate for breakfast, but it was different than most candy chocolate we have available here. I now eat mostly real chocolate bars of at least 70% cocoa...guess she had more of an effect on me than I thought!

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; June-28-12 at 12:37 AM.

Plus, they treat YOU warmly because you are taller than most of 'em.

Plus, they treat YOU warmly because you are taller than most of 'em.
    lol.... OK... at 6' 4" I intimidate them into kindness....