Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: The Ren Cen

Quote Originally Posted by glenmiester View Post
    It was the late seventies or early eighties and my father-in-law took my wife, me, my sister-in-law and husband, and step mother-in-law out to dinner at the 'Port of Call' in Port Huron...I think that is where it was located. It was to celebrate his daughter's birthdays during the spring of the year. On the way back we stopped in downtown Detroit to check out the Ren Cen. He parked his van quite a distance away and we walked to the Ren Cen. In those days you could go up the elevator in one of the towers to a fancy bar and restaraunt. After a couple of drinks Howard, my father-in-law, decided that it was time to go. I remember like it was yesterday how he and his wife actually argued who was to have me! Was I to walk Howard to the van, or was I to stay with the group until he returned with the van? Can you imagine how my brother-in-law felt? He had to feel like he was just one of the women. You have to remember how Detroit had gotten. Coleman was in office for a few years, crime was up big time, and the 'punks' more or less had taken over the streets. As we walked down the street, it was like he was a scared child walking close behind me. We only came across one small group of thugs and I am sure that Howard had to check his shorts when we got home. That memory has stuck with me all of these years.
    Just curious, if nothing happened to you or your family, how do you know they were thugs?

Cool story bro....

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Cool story bro....
    LOLOLOL

That's the thing everyone goes on about how bad Detroit is today, but IMO it was much much worse in 70's and 80's. I'll tell you this much, I wouldn't be living in Woodbridge right next to the Jeffries Housing Projects.....in the middle of the crack epidemic no less.

In the late sixties I loved to drive from the Flour Plant [[Ren Cen now) along Atwater at 3 a.m. through the industrial area. With dim lighting and weird shadows it was like being on another planet. I may have been a little buzzed.

Quote Originally Posted by glenmiester View Post
    A person with my background knowns more than you'll ever dream about the kiddies. Trust me.
    Um... What? o_0

[[Quote) "You have to remember how Detroit had gotten. Coleman was in office for a few years, crime was up big time, and the 'punks' more or less had taken over the streets".

You slay me Bro.... sounds like a bunch of suburban sissy's..."then the big bad homey da wolf in a pimp hat huffed and puffed on a blunt and said...hey lady gimmie yo purse"!

Lame lame lame just what is the point of this post anyway???

I agree. week post. soft folk.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    LOLOLOL

That's the thing everyone goes on about how bad Detroit is today, but IMO it was much much worse in 70's and 80's. I'll tell you this much, I wouldn't be living in Woodbridge right next to the Jeffries Housing Projects.....in the middle of the crack epidemic no less.
    Some places are better than they have been in years, others are much, much worse.

Is it just me, or does this story make no sense? What is the point?

I did some research and we actually have some video footage of glenmiester's visit to Detroit.....

I guess unless you've been beaten up, robbed or shot, you're just a pussy in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I guess unless you've been beaten up, robbed or shot, you're just a pussy in Detroit.
    I had my cell phone stolen literally off my ear outside of the bar a few months ago. I'm a bad MoFo....

Well, according to his story, he was not beaten up, robbed or shot... However, he did see some real life "thugs" on the walk back to his car!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Well, according to his story, he was not beaten up, robbed or shot... However, he did see some real life "thugs" on the walk back to his car!
    Not to mention his daddy laid a chocolate egg in his shorts! Must have been Easter!

Dude, I had all three happen to me in the D [[not all at the same time) and I definitely feel like a real Detroiter. I kept the bullet hole in the side of my car from the attempted car jacking [[I kept the car Homey gave me a bullet..even Steven) for years as a reminder of the fragility of life and my friends loved it when I explained the details of the .38 caliber hole.

Come on folks give the guy a break . This was back when Detroit was losing it's middle class by the thousands ! This was also the same time when you would hear " the last person in Detroit please turn off the lights"
    Detroit was a mess during Colman years.
    Some folks seem to idealize Colman. Sure he was the first black mayor, and when he first came into office he was ok , but he was like a baby's dipper, stay around way too long.
    Detroit has come a long way, good and bad since, but I believe Detroits best days are ahead !

^^^ And how, oh wise one, do you bring "these people" under control? And who, pray tell, are "these people?" This smells as bad as your Bob Lo post, which also is a little thin on details.