Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Graffiti on Grand River

I live in Woodbridge. Over the past couple of months, I have noticed that someone is placing large displays of graffiti on buildings along Grand River.

Does anyone know anything about this?

If these are the building at Warren near St. Leos its supposed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If these are the building at Warren near St. Leos its supposed to be there.
    Yes there are some near St. Leo's, but there are many more going towards downtown and I've even noticed it at the Marathon on Avery.

Is is part of a project?

Google "Detroit Beautification Project"

Today's detnews.com. Maybe part of this?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

This is it! Thanks!

I see the one on Gratiot nearly every day. Don't know how this is "beautification" at all. In fact, it's rather hideous... Is it still illegal to spray graffiti if not part of an official "beautification" project?

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I see the one on Gratiot nearly every day. Don't know how this is "beautification" at all. In fact, it's rather hideous... Is it still illegal to spray graffiti if not part of an official "beautification" project?
    I totally agree. Almost everyone that I've seen is ugly, with the exception of the Native American.

I'm still not clear if it's really a city approved project.
    Last edited by Wild; June-23-12 at 12:29 AM.

I think its beautiful. One of the artists working on it is the same one who did the giant tiger/red wing/detroitanimalbeing on the russel industrial center.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    I totally agree. Almost everyone that I've seen is ugly, with the exception of the Native American.

I'm still not clear if it's really a city approved project.

I would love for you to explain how this is ugly. Please elaborate. Read the article, the building owners approved the work before it went up. Respect the art and the artists, most of them came here on their own dime. Would you rather see blight and tags? I think not. Do your research on the Wynwood/Miami Design District before you go and trash other people's work.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I would love for you to explain how this is ugly. Please elaborate. Read the article, the building owners approved the work before it went up. Respect the art and the artists, most of them came here on their own dime. Would you rather see blight and tags? I think not. Do your research on the Wynwood/Miami Design District before you go and trash other people's work.
    I read the article. For those building owners that approved the work, that's their prerogative. However, many of the buildings that I see on Grand River are empty.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find beauty in things that you might not. I do not find beauty in death symbols, cartoonish characters and garish colors.

I really don't care whose name is attached to these works, in my opinion, it's graffiti not art.
    Last edited by Wild; June-23-12 at 11:36 AM.

The city needs to have some laws related to the appearance [[and upkeep) of property. If I were to paint a building I own solid black and put up a giant boar & sign calling the street the "Hog Block" it should be a fineable offense as it would be a detriment to other properties on that block. Same with yellow cinder block buildings selling liquor, tagged graffiti, murals and polka-dotted teddy bears.

While a select few may look & like what they see, the majority finds it tacky at best & it can hinder growth and upkeep of nearby properties.
    Last edited by jtf1972; June-23-12 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    I read the article. For those building owners that approved the work, that's their prerogative. However, many of the buildings that I see on Grand River are empty.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find beauty in things that you might not. I do not find beauty in death symbols, cartoonish characters and garish colors.

I really don't care whose name is attached to these works, in my opinion, it's graffiti not art.

Well Mr. Helper why don't you go out and enforce some justice on these "graffiti writers." I am sure the city has bigger fish to fry than slapping a citation on some ARTISTS who are trying to help beautify the city. And yes I did use the words "artists" and "beautify" in the same sentence. Because I would rather see this amazing art form instead of profanity or RIP Jazz Dog, lol. Before you go and call this graffiti and show a lack of respect for these artists, why don't you go and watch them paint live and get to know them, they are wonderful people who really do care about this city, especially the out-of-towners.

I HATE graffiti but I totally love these works of art. Go figure.

I'm almost ALWAYS in the camp of art for art's sake, and against defining what art is supposed to look like.

This project gives me pause, though, in particular the Hamtramck ones. Buildings that appear to have already been clean and free from graffiti now have garish cartoon characters and loud colors. From an aesthetic point of view, it just seems to clash with the surroundings. The art doesn't really fit the landscape; it just seems to be drawing attention to itself. I would think with urban art you want something that would complement the surroundings, not clash with them. Evidently many Hamtramckans agree, and they ultimately are the ones that have to live there.
    It really has a "tagger/street art" feel to it, too. Normally that "community" doesn't have a problem throwing up unsanctioned work wherever they want anyway, and it is also a very insular community [[I know because I used to be in those circles, but not one myself). The whole mourning of street art mural doesn't offer a lot of relevance to anyone but the street artists themselves, again seemingly ignoring the community around them.
    I don't think the choice should be between "RIP Jazz Dog" or strung-out looking cartoon characters. I love art, so much, but I have to say I wouldn't want one of those at the end of my street. I would like artists to take into consideration the character, personality, and landscape of the community, and make art that expresses or compliments it, if that community is literally going to be the canvass for it. I think this project in large part fails to do that. It seems very self-centered. This could have been so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm almost ALWAYS in the camp of art for art's sake, and against defining what art is supposed to look like.

This project gives me pause, though, in particular the Hamtramck ones. Buildings that appear to have already been clean and free from graffiti now have garish cartoon characters and loud colors. From an aesthetic point of view, it just seems to clash with the surroundings. The art doesn't really fit the landscape; it just seems to be drawing attention to itself. I would think with urban art you want something that would complement the surroundings, not clash with them. Evidently many Hamtramckans agree, and they ultimately are the ones that have to live there.
    It really has a "tagger/street art" feel to it, too. Normally that "community" doesn't have a problem throwing up unsanctioned work wherever they want anyway, and it is also a very insular community [[I know because I used to be in those circles, but not one myself). The whole mourning of street art mural doesn't offer a lot of relevance to anyone but the street artists themselves, again seemingly ignoring the community around them.
    I don't think the choice should be between "RIP Jazz Dog" or strung-out looking cartoon characters. I love art, so much, but I have to say I wouldn't want one of those at the end of my street. I would like artists to take into consideration the character, personality, and landscape of the community, and make art that expresses or compliments it, if that community is literally going to be the canvass for it. I think this project in large part fails to do that. It seems very self-centered. This could have been so much better.
    Don't worry there is a handful of artists that will be touching down throughout the summer and it is not just "graffiti" artists. And by the way the word graffiti as such a negative connotation attached to it, I don't consider these artists graffiti artists.

Don't worry there is a handful of artists that will be touching down throughout the summer and it is not just "graffiti" artists. And by the way the word graffiti as such a negative connotation attached to it, I don't consider these artists graffiti artists.
    The one I like is the US/Yemeni flag one. Subtle and speaks to its environment. More than a spray can with an open shirt and a cigarette.

Well Mr. Helper why don't you go out and enforce some justice on these "graffiti writers." I am sure the city has bigger fish to fry than slapping a citation on some ARTISTS who are trying to help beautify the city. And yes I did use the words "artists" and "beautify" in the same sentence. Because I would rather see this amazing art form instead of profanity or RIP Jazz Dog, lol. Before you go and call this graffiti and show a lack of respect for these artists, why don't you go and watch them paint live and get to know them, they are wonderful people who really do care about this city, especially the out-of-towners.
    I think that your reply may have been directed to jtf1972 with whom I agree.

I'm sure that the artist are very nice people, however, I still find no beauty in their work. I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are. You deem these works as art, I view them as graffiti. We are not going to agree on this subject, so let's agree that we disagree.

Love it or hate it the bottom line is it pumps up all the taggers and gives them more reason and less resistance to trash anything they feel like. If you legitimize it where do you draw the line?

Looks awful I would hate to live anywhere near it or have to see it on a daily basis.

To me, when graffiti is accepted and legitimized, doesn't it lose some of its appeal? When I was a kid I thought that seeing shots of subway cars in videos covered in big bubbly letters was fresh! As an adult I see it as a pain in the arse eyesore that will cost money to clean up. Still, as a kid what made it fresh was that it was different and the establishment hated it. What mad it so fly was that it would be merely temporary... Now you see it, now you don't. Now it's seemingly becoming a legitimate eyesore.

I have previously noted that I have become a fan of minimalist art. Let's get some white paint & have nice, neat, blank walls!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    The one I like is the US/Yemeni flag one. Subtle and speaks to its environment. More than a spray can with an open shirt and a cigarette.

Ahh yes, that is the work of Askew. Such a talented and humble individual. He is a huge proponent of the city of Detroit. I wish I could find the interview he did in December of 2009 on the Craig Fahle Show. www.askew1.com

More art please!

I loved that DIA project where they placed portraits around town.

I like a lot of this work.

I think that all manner of these types of projects and initiatives should coexist in an ever-changing visual symphony that will only make this a more interesting place to live.

Default Detroit Beautification Project

I know this discussion got started in another thread, but this project deserves extra attention considering its scope.

I started taking photos of all the pieces in the various location, and it's hard to keep up. The quality level of the work is pretty exciting. Probably controversial though.

Heres the first three sets of photos, there are about a half dozen more going up.

http://detroitfunk.com/?p=9038

http://detroitfunk.com/?p=9040

http://detroitfunk.com/?p=9042

Here is the Google map to the first 20 or so pieces, but there are a lot more already.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast