Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Boating to Belle Isle

Is there a place on Belle Isle where I can dock my boat and spend the day there? Is there a cost? Thanks!

There are no public docks. If you are a member of a yacht club, you may be able to obtain a short-term guest well at the DYC.

Dock at St. Aubin. Rent a bike from Detroit Wheelhouse, a short pedal to Belle Isle.

How stupid is it that there is no place for the public to dock their boats! On an island in the middle of the river.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    How stupid is it that there is no place for the public to dock their boats! On an island in the middle of the river.

Stromberg2
    There are really no good transient docks on the entire river. Heck, the just made sugar island off limits too :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    There are no public docks. If you are a member of a yacht club, you may be able to obtain a short-term guest well at the DYC.
    You may want to check with the DYC with this. If I remember correctly if you arrive by water you should be able to use the facilities [[for a price of course). I do not know if this policy is still in effect, a phone call should answer the question.

Thanks everyone. It does seem dumb that there isn't a public dock. Maybe it is another way of Detroit not wanting the suburbs using their "public" areas.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhalifax View Post
    Thanks everyone. It does seem dumb that there isn't a public dock. Maybe it is another way of Detroit not wanting the suburbs using their "public" areas.
    The Island has never had public docks. Since the first bridge was built most everyone has arrived by automobile before that there was a ferry. For some odd reason there have never been a push to build docks for the public. Last be careful of the Scott Middle Grounds if you have never been to the island before.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The Island has never had public docks. Since the first bridge was built most everyone has arrived by automobile before that there was a ferry. For some odd reason there have never been a push to build docks for the public. Last be careful of the Scott Middle Grounds if you have never been to the island before.
    Coleman Young did build a few public marinas near Belle Isle, but never on the island itself. One suggestion would be to try to park the boat at Erma Henderson Park. The other nearby Marina was built as part of St. Aubin Park, which was incorporated into the DNR's Gov Miliken State Park's portion of the riverwalk. Both would require a walk across the bridge.

You may want to check with the DYC with this. If I remember correctly if you arrive by water you should be able to use the facilities [[for a price of course). I do not know if this policy is still in effect, a phone call should answer the question.
    From the DYC website:

http://www.dyc.com/Default.aspx?p=Dy...d=128970&vnf=1

Last be careful of the Scott Middle Grounds if you have never been to the island before.
    Been there done that....its only about 2ft of water and the weeds will foul your prop and or do more damage to your boat. Pay attention to the bouys on both sides of the Middle ground....they are there for your protection

Call Canada for permit to Peche Island 15 years ago i would just land my boat on the beach on our side there are docks on Canadian side.

Maybe it is another way of Detroit not wanting the suburbs using their "public" areas.
    Of course less than half a dozen posts in and we've already sunk to Detroit bashing.

I can't think of a single other instance of Detroit prohibiting suburbanites from using their public areas, other than the public libraries. Even those you can still browse, and if you attend any school in Detroit [[including the universities) you can get an non-resident library card easily. All of Detroits parks are open to non-residents, and the Riverwalk and Belle Isle are clearly full of suburbanites at any given time. Contrast that with Grosse Pointe or St. Clair Shores, who bar non-residents from using their parks.

Kind of an awful example but even DPS is open to non-residents, and UofD Jesuit [[I know, not public) attracts city and suburban residents alike.

DDOT extends into the suburbs on some routes and suburbanites can use that as well. Then look at the suburbs who have opted out of public transportation altogether [[and I wonder why...).

Detroit has issues over "control" of its public facilities but not usage, at least not anything I can think of, at all.

@poobert
    I apologize for the insensitive nature of my post. It wasn't properly thought out. All of your points are valid and I love the city of Detroit and enjoy many of it's public amenities. I do support St. Clair Shores and the Grosse Points having their own private parks. Their taxes are structured to support that and I particularly enjoy the private parks in my city.

@poobert
    I apologize for the insensitive nature of my post. It wasn't properly thought out. All of your points are valid and I love the city of Detroit and enjoy many of it's public amenities. I do support St. Clair Shores and the Grosse Points having their own private parks. Their taxes are structured to support that and I particularly enjoy the private parks in my city.
    Oh, no need to apologize. It would be cool if there were docks on Belle Isle. We use the DYC...all you have to do is join

I would love to join but this first boat purchase of mine has sucked me dry of any extra cash. Is the DYC super expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Coleman Young did build a few public marinas near Belle Isle, but never on the island itself. One suggestion would be to try to park the boat at Erma Henderson Park. The other nearby Marina was built as part of St. Aubin Park, which was incorporated into the DNR's Gov Miliken State Park's portion of the riverwalk. Both would require a walk across the bridge.
    The marina at Memorial Park was there long before Young was in office. The only marina constructed under Coleman that I know of is the marina located at Miliken State Park. The one problem with both is that they require a little more than a "short" walk to the bridge [[defeating the purpose of going to the island by boat). Also one does not park a boat they moor or dock it.

You can also "beach" a boat provided you dont mind rubbing the bottom of your boat on sand, if you have beautiful gold sand beaches like here on the western shores of lake Michigan.
    Trim "up" and use an anchor on the back to keep the waves from pushing the craft sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    You can also "beach" a boat provided you dont mind rubbing the bottom of your boat on sand, if you have beautiful gold sand beaches like here on the western shores of lake Michigan.
    Trim "up" and use an anchor on the back to keep the waves from pushing the craft sideways.
    True but one can also "trim" a sheet to properly position a sail to where the wind is in relation to the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post

Stromberg2
    I agree!!!

I've always been fascinated with Scott Middle Ground, which is between the Belle Isle Beach and the mainland across the way.

I would have thought that they could have dredged Scott's Middle Ground... but then again, maybe it's got a lot of bedrock... or maybe they don't want any wayward large ships coming towards the Belle Isle Bridge.

Here's a map of the Detroit River... zoom in by clicking on Belle Isle....
    http://www.oceangrafix.com/chart/det...-Detroit-River

It's amazing just how shallow and dangerous that part of the river is!