Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Moving to East English Village

My girlfriend and I are considering a move to East English Village and are interested in some first hand perspective. I've been enamored with the neighborhood since I was a kid. My aunt and uncle lived on Berkshire in Morningside until the late '80s and I have many fond memories of playing with my cousins in what was then a very safe neighborhood. I drove through recently and discovered that urban blight has taken over Morningside although EEV seems to have held on. I'm wondering what EEV's prospects for long-term survival are. Home prices there are very attractive given the quality of the architecture but I wonder if they've hit bottom yet. We do have a child on the way so schools are a major concern as well. I'm hoping that those of you who live in or around EEV could offer some guidance as to which blocks are the best [[north of Warren seems to have nicer houses but south of Warren has lower crime?) and what some of my school options would be. We can't afford private school at this point although that could change in a few years. We want to live in the city but don't want to do ourselves or our children a disservice by moving to a declining neighborhood. We're already aware of the increased costs associated with taxes, insurance, etc. Really we'd be interested in hearing what anybody has to say and would like to hear any arguments for and against the move.

Shollin Guest

Unfortunately East English is declining. It's not what it was in the 80's. There have been a couple car jackings on Warren near there and a kid was shot during one of them. Home prices have really tanked in Harper Woods. Crime is escalating but you can get a house in the Grosse Pointe district cheap. Harper Woods has terrific city services but burglaries and thefts are becoming common place.

Thanks for the info. I know it's not what it was back in the day and there's no question it's declined. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the decline is ongoing or if EEV is poised for a comeback or has at least stabilized to some degree.

Right. EEV is declining and flanked nearly all sides by very bad areas. Safety is an issue in terms of home, person and personal property as break and enterings are up all over the city.

The east side of Detroit is experiencing the higher level of abandonment, dumping, and more exodus, with increasing crime in the eastern suburbs especially HW. And whatever further consolidation of policing and services is only going to make it worse. There's only one precinct spread thin all the way up thru east seven mile over to eight mile and Gratiot? No, in IMO this is not the time... pre EFM and or all the other pending changes, adaptations.

What is the name of the precinct that covers nearly all of the east side

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Unfortunately East English is declining. It's not what it was in the 80's. There have been a couple car jackings on Warren near there and a kid was shot during one of them. Home prices have really tanked in Harper Woods. Crime is escalating but you can get a house in the Grosse Pointe district cheap. Harper Woods has terrific city services but burglaries and thefts are becoming common place.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-24-12 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Right. EEV is flanked nearly all sides by very bad areas. The east side of Detroit is experiencing the higher level of abandonment, dumping, and more exodus, with increasing crime in the eastern suburbs especially HW. And whatever further consolidation of policing and services is only going to make it worse. There's only one pricinct from spread thin all the way up thru east seven mile over to eight mile Gratiot? No, in IMO this is not the time... pre EFM and or all the other pending changes, adaptations.

There's one on Nevada, then there's the old 9th precinct on Gratiot and Gunston.

The 7th [[Gratiot & Mack) and fifth precincts were shuttered under Kilpatrick.

But as a person who lives on the eastside now, I would hold off on buying any property anywhere in the city if you expect a reasonable quality of life or to make a profit from it any time soon.

There are quite frankly a ton of Detroit home owners who now wish they had left the city before the bottom hit in the city and in the economy, and are now stuck with huge motgages and worthless properties and looking for any type of out that isn't financially damaging to them.

edit: To the OP, I don't mean to sound so negative in my post, but as a resident of Detroit now who will be getting out [[of Michigan) soon, I must be honest and tell you it is absolutely not a good time to be in the city, outside of the few marginally yuppified areas around downtown.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-24-12 at 08:37 PM.

Whether positive or negative I'm looking for people's unvarnished opinions and I definitely appreciate your thoughts. It's looking like the nays have it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Right. EEV is declining and flanked nearly all sides by very bad areas. Safety is an issue in terms of home, person and personal property as break and enterings are up all over the city.

The east side of Detroit is experiencing the higher level of abandonment, dumping, and more exodus, with increasing crime in the eastern suburbs especially HW. And whatever further consolidation of policing and services is only going to make it worse. There's only one precinct spread thin all the way up thru east seven mile over to eight mile and Gratiot? No, in IMO this is not the time... pre EFM and or all the other pending changes, adaptations.

I don't think it's called a precinct anymore, just the Eastern District, and it's on Gratiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    With the improving economy home prices are inching up in Grosse Pointe. 2 of my friends who are realtors in GP are complaining that there are hardly any homes for sale. Looks like most are now happy to sit on their homes while prices rise. On my street 2-3 years ago there were probably 15-25 homes for sale between Jefferson and Mack at any given time, now there might be 2 or 3. Plus most of the foreclosures have dried up.

I lived in Morningside until 1995 and finally moved out after being robbed at gunpoint in my driveway. All of my neighbors had been victims of crime: B&E, auto theft, armed robbery, murders in the area. Gunshots in the evening were normal. Recently I drove through the area and both the residential and commercial strip on Warren had gone downhill very noticeably. I was however a bit impressed at how much business still seems to thrive on Harper.

Personally, I don't recommend the area but I moved into Morningside in 1984 against everyone's recommendation and had at least six very good years there. there were many decent buisnesses at the time, churches, bars/pubs, attractive housing. EEV was always a good deal nicer than Morningside. We were the transition area.

Maybe I'm naive in my hope that the rot will stop at Outer Drive. The fact that EEV is one of the neighborhoods targeted by the city for enhanced services, increased code enforcement, etc. seems to bode well for it. It's probably too soon to tell at this point. I've been planning to attend one of their neighborhood meetings to try to get my finger on the pulse of what's happening.

I have no regrets about moving into Morningside. Eventually it became too dangerous for me. I was single without significant other or children to add to the math.

Follow your heart after consideration of the pros and cons. I always thought EEV was like Rosedale Park - beautiful and captivating. And in what other large city in the US would such large quality homes be so affordable? But crime and abandonment are major concerns.

My experience in 1984 was I that I could not talk myself out of giving Morningside a try.

In case you weren't aware, EEV has an informative newsletter that they post on line. You can find it [[along with other helpful information) here... http://www.eastenglishvillage.org/

Good luck with your decision

PaulieG
    Last edited by PaulieG63; June-25-12 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieG63 View Post
    In case you weren't aware, EEV has an informative newsletter that they post on line. You can find it [[along with other helpful information) here... http://www.eastenglishvillage.org/

Good luck with your decision

PaulieG
    Thanks Paulie. I've been reading the newsletter and checking out the HOA website for a while now. The fact that the residents there seem to care and have a strong sense of community is part of what drew me to EEV.

YES, move to East English Village, nice homes, better than living th Richville Grosse Pointe Homes. Cheap property tax rates, too.

I lived in Morningside for 18 years. I moved downtown 3 years ago, not because of crime but because I didn't want to take care of a huge house. I lived on Audubon and Kryptonite and I are good friends. Audubon is still one of the nicest streets in the area. EEV is not as nice as it was 10 years ago but neither is anywhere else. The price you pay for the quality of home is still a hugh attraction. I would only recommend living between Warren and Mack. The closer to Mack the better. I recently met a guy in his late 20's who moved to EEV a few years ago and he loves it. He feels they have a strong association. Like all neighborhood associations they are only as good as the residents who volunteer. He told me they even started doing a pub crawl to the bars in EEV. Take your time. Look around and see what's available.

I live in East English Village and am really, really tired of people on this board saying it is "declining." I don't know how they are in a position from afar to make such as sweeping statement, but here is the reality coming from someone who wakes up each morning in EEV, good and the bad:
    No, it isn't "what it used to be" even 20 years ago it was basically an extension of Grosse Pointe in terms of housing values and the like. It isn't the same, but NOTHING is.
    The housing crisis hit EEV really hard. We pulled though finally, though. Vacancy is now at its lowest level since 2008 or so [[about 8.5% now). The difference here is we have a crew of local residents to clean up the properties and mow the lawns. I drove through Harrison Township and saw unmowed vacant properties! We don't have a single unmowed yard as of writing this. Take a drive through if you don't believe me.
    Housing prices have finally bounced back. I admit, I didn't know if they ever would. If you're going to buy, buy soon.
    I've never been robbed in my driveway, but my dog got out at 10pm on a Saturday night and the President of the Association, my next door neighbor, and someone a few blocks away spent hours about 10 hours combined looking for her [[we found her!). I didn't ask them to, they just wanted to.
    My neighbors have become my best friends. We barbecue together and drink together and have dinner parties. People lament the loss of such community as from a bygone era. In EEV you are basically living in that bygone era, except we're integrated [[white, black, gay, straight, every profession and income level you can imagine). I sit on my porch and watch the kids play until the sun goes down.
    Crime is mostly limited to property crime [[not surprisingly, vacant houses). Harper and Warren are really junky and there was a carjacking on Warren within the past year. We have both a private security company and volunteer patrollers. You have a problem? You have the phone number of all the board members in your newsletter. Any time, day or night, a bunch of people will come over at the drop of a hat to help you.
    The housing stock is out-of-this-world, as you've stated.
    In terms of areas, the best area is easily south of Warren. The houses currently listed average around 50K but there are deals to be had still. You're basically okay anywhere in EEV, but I would avoid the blocks immediately off of Harper. They aren't as genteel as the rest of the neighborhood, for the most part, but compared to the rest of Detroit look fine.
    If you've lived in any other urban area, you'll do fine in EEV. I compare issues here with average areas of any other major city, as opposed to the rest of Detroit or the suburbs.
    Now what do I like best? The neighbors, the housing stock, the TREES. The silence at night. Living that Detroit life so many people who fled swear up and down is dead and gone.
    What now? Come to a neighborhood meeting. You will be astounded. We have 100 - 200 attendees every month. They're at St. Clare of Montefalco, at Mack and Whittier, at 7:30pm on the second Wednesday of each month.
    Also we'll be having a home tour in September...keep your eyes on the website and the e-newsletter on there. Best of luck and hope to see you around the neighborhood!

One of our newer residents [[moved to EEV from the suburbs) has her own take on it so you don't just have to take my yammering for it:
    http://liveunitedsem.org/blog/entry/...munity-matters

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I live in East English Village and am really, really tired of people on this board saying it is "declining." I don't know how they are in a position from afar to make such as sweeping statement, but here is the reality coming from someone who wakes up each morning in EEV, good and the bad:
    No, it isn't "what it used to be" even 20 years ago it was basically an extension of Grosse Pointe in terms of housing values and the like. It isn't the same, but NOTHING is.
    The housing crisis hit EEV really hard. We pulled though finally, though. Vacancy is now at its lowest level since 2008 or so [[about 8.5% now). The difference here is we have a crew of local residents to clean up the properties and mow the lawns. I drove through Harrison Township and saw unmowed vacant properties! We don't have a single unmowed yard as of writing this. Take a drive through if you don't believe me.
    Housing prices have finally bounced back. I admit, I didn't know if they ever would. If you're going to buy, buy soon.
    I've never been robbed in my driveway, but my dog got out at 10pm on a Saturday night and the President of the Association, my next door neighbor, and someone a few blocks away spent hours about 10 hours combined looking for her [[we found her!). I didn't ask them to, they just wanted to.
    My neighbors have become my best friends. We barbecue together and drink together and have dinner parties. People lament the loss of such community as from a bygone era. In EEV you are basically living in that bygone era, except we're integrated [[white, black, gay, straight, every profession and income level you can imagine). I sit on my porch and watch the kids play until the sun goes down.
    Crime is mostly limited to property crime [[not surprisingly, vacant houses). Harper and Warren are really junky and there was a carjacking on Warren within the past year. We have both a private security company and volunteer patrollers. You have a problem? You have the phone number of all the board members in your newsletter. Any time, day or night, a bunch of people will come over at the drop of a hat to help you.
    In terms of areas, the best area is easily south of Warren. The houses currently listed average around 50K but there are deals to be had still. You're basically okay anywhere in EEV, but I would avoid the blocks immediately off of Harper. They aren't as genteel as the rest of the neighborhood, for the most part, but compared to the rest of Detroit look fine.
    If you've lived in any other urban area, you'll do fine in EEV. I compare issues here with average areas of any other major city, as opposed to the rest of Detroit or the suburbs.
    Now what do I like best? The neighbors, the housing stock, the TREES. The silence at night. Living that Detroit life so many people who fled swear up and down is dead and gone.
    What now? Come to a neighborhood meeting. You will be astounded. We have 100 - 200 attendees every month. They're at St. Clare of Montefalco, at Mack and Whittier, at 7:30pm on the second Wednesday of each month.
    Also we'll be having a home tour in September...keep your eyes on the website and the e-newsletter on there. Best of luck and hope to see you around the neighborhood!
    That sounds awesome, poobert.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YES, move to East English Village, nice homes, better than living th Richville Grosse Pointe Homes. Cheap property tax rates, too.
    Having lived in both areas this statement is totally false!

scottn55, I to was [[am) excited by the prospect of calling East English Village home! I have shifted my focus somewhat over the last year...towards downtown...but still have "pangs" for my first true Detroit neighborhood love...EEV!

Anyways, I started a thread back in March 2011 asking the same question...and recieved some excellent feedback! I don't think the the thread is too dated to not be useful in your current endeavor...hope you find this helpful...

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...nglish+Village

PaulieG

I've lived in EEV for nearly a decade now. I still like living there, but the neighborhood has taken a few hits over that time--foreclosed homes, an increase in crime, etc. However, we still have a strong and active homeowners association, which helps things greatly. I hope that with the new East English Village Academy on the site of the old Finney building that it will attract new homeowners to the area. One other thing: it may have once been true crime was lower below Warren Ave, but I think that is no longer true. For better and for worse, people who a decade ago could not have come close to affording a house in EEV are now moving in. I can speak from experience on my block that we've had some great people move in and some lousy ones [[in particular, drug dealers who moved in from the suburbs).

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Thanks for your post. Exactly the kind of first hand perspective I was looking for. There's a very good chance I'll be attending a meeting in the next couple of months and I'll definitely be coming down for the home tour.

In doing my online real estate searches I've noticed that most of the homes for sale are on Harvard and Grayton. There appears to be virtually nothing for sale on Outer Drive, Kensington, and Yorkshire and very little on Bishop. Am I to surmise from this that the westernmost streets in EEV are the most desirable?

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    In doing my online real estate searches I've noticed that most of the homes for sale are on Harvard and Grayton. There appears to be virtually nothing for sale on Outer Drive, Kensington, and Yorkshire and very little on Bishop. Am I to surmise from this that the westernmost streets in EEV are the most desirable?
    Yes, the larger and more desirable homes tend to be in the southwest corner of EEV. I would still drive around the whole are as there are many lovely homes on all the streets and a few suprises. I know of one home with not quite a carriage house [[no bathroom facilities, but two nice rooms over the garage) but still very unique for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Yes, the larger and more desirable homes tend to be in the southwest corner of EEV. I would still drive around the whole are as there are many lovely homes on all the streets and a few suprises. I know of one home with not quite a carriage house [[no bathroom facilities, but two nice rooms over the garage) but still very unique for the area.
    Did any of the notable architects design homes in EEV that you know of?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast