Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I don't think that would be the biggest issue related to purchasing a home in Detroit.
    Actually by far the NUMBER ONE reason many will not buy in the cty! In fact when I discuss homes in the city its usually the ONLY reason ever brought up as a deal braker!! Also everyone I know who has lived in the city moved IMMEDIATELY once the oldest child turned 4 to areas with good schools.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-06-12 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Actually by far the NUMBER ONE reason many will not buy in the cty! In fact when I discuss homes in the city its usually the ONLY reason ever brought up as a deal braker!! Also everyone I know who has lived in the city moved IMMEDIATELY once the oldest child turned 4 to areas with good schools.
    It is definitely a concern for me. Private/parochial school isn't cheap and could easily negate any savings from the relatively inexpensive housing in EEV. I'm guessing the cost of my home and auto insurance policies will double although I haven't actually consulted my agent about that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    It is definitely a concern for me. Private/parochial school isn't cheap and could easily negate any savings from the relatively inexpensive housing in EEV. I'm guessing the cost of my home and auto insurance policies will double although I haven't actually consulted my agent about that yet.
    I know your budget is better served by the homes in EEV, the insurance rate difference and school system will probably more than make up for purchasing a smaller home. Also the streets between Mack Avenue and Charlevoix running from Fisher Rd. to Outer Drive are very similar to EEV and somewhat more affordable than the homes just one block closer to E. Jefferson.

I don't agree with the people who think it is some kind of horrible crime to raise kids in the city, but if you have kids [[and think you are going to have to use private/parochial schools to educate them) it is unlikely you are going to find that it is cheaper to live in town, especially with interest rates as low as they are now.

Of course I know many people who live in the suburbs and still send their kids to private/parochial schools, so you have to consider what you would be doing if you lived elsewhere.

[QUOTE=mwilbert;329348]I don't agree with the people who think it is some kind of horrible crime to raise kids in the city

I think most people do not think so either but schools will always be the biggest stumbling block to Detroit moving forward.

[QUOTE=p69rrh51;329353]
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't agree with the people who think it is some kind of horrible crime to raise kids in the city

I think most people do not think so either but schools will always be the biggest stumbling block to Detroit moving forward.
    What a difference a block makes... if I were to move to GP I would likely send my child to public schools. But to be clear the less expensive housing is not my only reason for considering EEV. By all accounts the people who live there are awesome and help foster a genuine neighborhood environment. My own [[limited) experiences in the neighborhood tend to reinforce that. So there are certainly some intangibles that come into play. Grosse Pointe is beautiful as well, and I've spent a LOT more time there than I have in EEV. You know what's crazy though? The same guy has lived next door to my aunt and uncle for 25 years and I've never seen the man much less spoken to him. I'm not sure that my cousins even know his name!

. But to be clear the less expensive housing is not my only reason for considering EEV. By all accounts the people who live there are awesome and help foster a genuine neighborhood environment.
    In my opinion, that is a much better basis on which to decide where to live. But you are wise to be thinking about the practical issues as well.

Back in the mid 80's when time for Kindergarten rolled around, we opted to send our son to a private church-affiliated school in the area of 7 mile and Gratiot. His teachers were wonderful, but when he started coming home using the same language and grammar the little kids [[who were then still the minority in the school) did...."he be goin' wit us" for example, and talking about how some of these kids openly discussed the illegal drug dealing their older brothers did, we decided it was time to get him out of there for 1st grade. Again...the teachers were great, but the negative influence was too overwhelming..and this was in a PRIVATE school! Think LONG AND HARD about putting your child in the DPS system, or even in a suburban school...they are getting just as bad in many areas. And I don't even need to get started on the safety issues. Teachers can't teach any more. They are too busy trying to keep themselves and other students alive.

YOU have a choice of where you live.....a child does not! So don't put them in what would probably be a very negative situation for them...they have no way out if you "love the neighborhood" and "have great neighbors". Please THINK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Back in the mid 80's when time for Kindergarten rolled around, we opted to send our son to a private church-affiliated school in the area of 7 mile and Gratiot. His teachers were wonderful, but when he started coming home using the same language and grammar the little kids [[who were then still the minority in the school) did...."he be goin' wit us" for example, and talking about how some of these kids openly discussed the illegal drug dealing their older brothers did, we decided it was time to get him out of there for 1st grade. Again...the teachers were great, but the negative influence was too overwhelming..and this was in a PRIVATE school! Think LONG AND HARD about putting your child in the DPS system, or even in a suburban school...they are getting just as bad in many areas. And I don't even need to get started on the safety issues. Teachers can't teach any more. They are too busy trying to keep themselves and other students alive.
    I don't need to think "long and hard" about putting my child in the DPS system because, as I stated in a couple of previous posts, I never considered it an option. From the tone of your other post I gather that you think I'm crazy or perhaps even stupid for even considering this neighborhood. Trust me when I tell you that nothing could be further from the truth. By all accounts St Clare of Montefalco operates a great school and, were I to move to EEV, this is almost certainly the school I would enroll my child in when the time comes. I'm not some starry-eyed hipster moron who thinks it would be "cool" to live downtown and I most certainly am not going to put my child in a situation which would be unreasonably dangerous or would compromise their educational opportunities. So tell me, please, how the situation I've described would be "very negative" for my child. I'm well acquainted with the problems facing the city and its schools and any decision that I make regarding where to locate will take that into account.

Well, until you've moved to Detroit, this is all just "mindless conjectural."
    And what makes you think this St. Clare School will be there in 5 years? Catholic schools bordering innner cities do not have a good chance [[See Holy Rosary, Holy Redeemer and St. John Vianney in Flint)
    Check back in four years, if you indeed move to Detroit.

Yes, of course. I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Again IMO this is not the time for BUYING a house in Detroit...

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    [Schools]Actually by far the NUMBER ONE reason many will not buy in the cty! In fact when I discuss homes in the city its usually the ONLY reason ever brought up as a deal braker!! Also everyone I know who has lived in the city moved IMMEDIATELY once the oldest child turned 4 to areas with good schools.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-07-12 at 02:31 PM.

Absolutely. I mean, why would you want to spend the extra money? This isn't Washington D.C. or NYC. where your house is worth a lot of money and you'll get it back in a sale.
    Anyhow, this is all just "hot air talk" until you actually buy a house in Detroit.
    There are a lot of posts like this on the Forum, all starting with: "I'm thinking of buying a house in Detroit."
    Yeah, right , buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by swiburn View Post
    Well, until you've moved to Detroit, this is all just "mindless conjectural."
    And what makes you think this St. Clare School will be there in 5 years? Catholic schools bordering innner cities do not have a good chance [[See Holy Rosary, Holy Redeemer and St. John Vianney in Flint)
    Check back in four years, if you indeed move to Detroit.
    I know St. Clare's enrollment is steady. Yes, it could close, but the world could also end tomorrow. One has to be cautious but you can't factor in every variable in the known universe. St. Clare also doesn't border the "inner city." It is in Grosse Pointe bordering the far east side. "Inner city" has actual meaning, and it is not "the City of Detroit."
    St. Joan of Arc is very close by too.
    One thing that hasn't been brought up is the challenges of raising a child in the suburbs.
    One of my best friends has a young kid in an inner ring suburb, and, well, he may be the last kid in that inner ring suburb. The suburbs are aging rapidly - this isn't 1975. There aren't loads of kids around anymore. Her entire area is grumpy old ladies and some pervy old guys. The kid has no friends to play with except when they visit my house, ironically. It's actually pretty sad. Frankly, that is NO way to raise a child, with nothing but four walls and video games.

Absolutely. I mean, why would you want to spend the extra money? This isn't Washington D.C. or NYC. where your house is worth a lot of money and you'll get it back in a sale.
    Anyhow, this is all just "hot air talk" until you actually buy a house in Detroit.
    There are a lot of posts like this on the Forum, all starting with: "I'm thinking of buying a house in Detroit."
    Yeah, right , buy one.
    Yeah you're right I'm completely full of shit and have never had any intention of moving to the neighborhood. Thanks everybody for playing along and indulging me while I screw around on the internet and waste everybody's time including my own.

Shollin Guest

Yeah, right , buy one.
    So he should ask about neighborhoods after he buys in said neighborhood?

Default east english village and schools

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    So he should ask about neighborhoods after he buys in said neighborhood?
    Well, back around l5 years ago, people didn't consult forums before they bought houses!! It's the equivalent, really, of going up to strangers on the street and asking their opinion.
    Go check out the actual neighborhood and ask questions of real people instead .

Shollin Guest

Well, back around l5 years ago, people didn't consult forums before they bought houses!! It's the equivalent, really, of going up to strangers on the street and asking their opinion.
    When I moved into Harper Woods in 1993 before forums existed, I did ask strangers in the neighborhood about the area. People who did live in the area did answer his questions, or are they not "real" people?

Yeah you're right I'm completely full of shit and have never had any intention of moving to the neighborhood. Thanks everybody for playing along and indulging me while I screw around on the internet and waste everybody's time including my own.

Wasting something you can neither buy, stop, or get back is foolish.

I can assure you I am a real person in the actual neighborhood - at this very moment, in fact. Shall I take a picture with today's newspaper at the street sign?

Also OP has told us several times he'd like to attend the neighborhood meeting.

You're absolutely correct though - now people have the internet which allows easy communciation. It isn't a substitute for real relationships, but is unprecedented in the history of the world for finding information. OP is wisely utilizing this tool. I guess you'd rather him just not and go in blind like back in the day, for whatever freakish reason. Or maybe he should just go around knocking on doors?

You're a real piece of work. I know the heat is miserable, but why don't you just lay off this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    When I moved into Harper Woods in 1993 before forums existed, I did ask strangers in the neighborhood about the area. People who did live in the area did answer his questions, or are they not "real" people?
    Thank you. Again, to be clear, this is only one of the tools I'm using to gain some more knowledge of the neighborhood. I have visited the neighborhood many times over the years and I typically drive through to check out houses for sale etc. when I go to GP to visit family. I haven't attended a neighborhood meeting but I'm planning on it. I thought this would be a good way to reach people who live in the area since I haven't stayed there for an extended period of time in about 10 years when I was house-sitting for relatives in Morningside. A lot has changed in the last ten years and I thought this would be a good place to find out what the scoop is. Again thanks to those of you who have shared your thoughts and experiences. I hope you will continue to do so.

I'll be heading to the neighborhood meeting tonight after work. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

I'll be heading to the neighborhood meeting tonight after work. Maybe I'll see some of you there.
    How did the meeting go?

I don't live in EEV, but I'm very familiar with it. I love the homes there.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideLady View Post
    How did the meeting go?

I don't live in EEV, but I'm very familiar with it. I love the homes there.
    I'm glad that I went. It's great to see people who are so committed to their community. The homes are, obviously, gorgeous as they are in many Detroit neighborhoods. The difference in EEV is that the people recognize their homes as being special and take great care of them. Some of the lawns and gardens are spectacular.

So it looks like we're going to do it... Does anybody know anything about the Detroit Land Bank? Has anybody had any experience with them?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast