Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default How's the 48124 area of Dearborn?

It looks like they've got a nice downtown and some very well kept older homes. Is this a stable area? Do people think it's on the upswing?

I live in 48124 [[Michigan and Outer Drive area). I love it! Great city services, nice neighbors, not too many vacant homes [[just a few but they are being kept up and neighbors keep an eye on them). My home value just went up a tad, according to the assessment I received. I love the proximity to the West Dearborn Downtown area and the ease with which I can scoot to Downtown Detroit [[about 15 minutes via Michigan Ave). It's a safe area and close to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    It looks like they've got a nice downtown and some very well kept older homes. Is this a stable area? Do people think it's on the upswing?

Last year I moved to Troy from Dearborn. I lived in 48124 [[Nona & Nowlin). I loved it and I miss my old house and neighborhood.

[[I got married last year. I rented and he owned, so I moved.)

I'm right across Outer Drive from your old house [[in the poor section...LOL). I love the historic homes district! When I bought my house the home prices in the historic homes was just too far out of reach for me. I've noticed just one or two vacants over there and not too many for sale. Seems that the vacants don't have a For Sale sign out front [[perhaps to cut down on break ins).

Now, I did hear that across Michigan Ave [[between Ford and Michigan) there have been a lot of break ins. I haven't heard of any over this way, just the usual "leave your car windows open and the thieves will get your stuff in the middle of the night" crime. I feel safe leaving my windows open all day and night but I do have 2 very loud alarms [[aka my 2 large dogs) that tend to keep people off of my property.
    Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Last year I moved to Troy from Dearborn. I lived in 48124 [[Nona & Nowlin). I loved it and I miss my old house and neighborhood.

[[I got married last year. I rented and he owned, so I moved.)

48124 is actually a fairly diverse zip code when it comes to lot and dwelling size, but also seems rather uniform when it comes to neighborhood quality. I grew up in the 48124 [[Cherry Hill and Outer Drive area) and my parents still live there. Haven't heard of the break-ins that DetroitTeacher mentioned but maybe that was in another area. A few homes are empty mostly due to foreclosure I think but the neighbors do look after them and they don't seem to stay empty for long. It was a great neighborhood to grow up in....nice sidewalks, nearby parks, lots of places to ride a bike to. The west Dearborn shopping district is decent with a variety of places to shop and eat. A few SMART bus routes pass through the area giving people a mass transit option. Definitely stable and well-kept.

I live here too near Oakwood Hospital. I've been here 10 yrs now. I'm starting to see some turnover in my neighborhood with many of the old time original residents starting to die or get too sick to stay by themselves in their houses. However, their houses are being purchased by younger professionals and/or folks with new families which lends to the continued stability of the area. Folks maintain their homes, & there's little to no nonsense going on in my neighborhood. There are 3 schools, one of each, within walking distance of my house, plus a park with an open pool. The Henry Ford is close by, plus the shopping district too. Where I'm at is close to the Sofld & I-94 freeways too which is a plus for me.

the 48124 area in Dearborn is long nice well kept up bedroom size comunity filled 'keeping up with the Joneses' neighbors, trees, sound of birds and dogs barking. Kids playing outside, adults fixing up their lawns, keeping the grass manicured and green. Now that's the suburbs for you!

I don't see any downside at all in 48124. It's got everything from hospitals, colleges, tourist attractions [[Greenfield Village), markets, bars, restaurants, retail, a train station, country club and lots of huge trees. Downtown Detroit, Ann Arbor and Royal Oak are easy commutes. Plus Dearborn public safety and other services, even in this day of shrinking municipal budgets, are sensational.