Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Just Toured The Broderick and Went to Mexicantown For the First Time!

So, I drove down from Saginaw yesterday to tour the Broderick since I will be moving into an apartment there in September. The building is great, but still a lot of work to do. They will be cutting it close! I was really happy with the apartments, they are beautiful. The only complaint is they have been advertising a wine bar, a brewery and a restaurant as going in on the first floor. They don't seem able to provide any info on when they will go in or if they even have solid tenants yet. I couldn't imagine with 126 units, and the Kales and another apartment building right across the street that they couldn't fill that space. Also, the David Whitney will have a hotel and another 108 apartments right across the street.

Mexicantown was great. Vernor is a fun street! nice street wall and lots of businesses, that's what a big city neighborhood SHOULD be. the neighborhoods seemed nice, not many empty houses at all and seemed like people really took pride in their property. Hopefully other neighborhoods in Detroit can find a way to replicate the success!

All in all one of my best trips to the city.

If you check their website, click on the building diagram for the units on the commercial spaces near ground level, the promoter claims they will be available in 2017. This probably means they are not spending on promoting said spaces until there is more interest on the part of potential tenants.

Default Well that's odd

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    If you check their website, click on the building diagram for the units on the commercial spaces near ground level, the promoter claims they will be available in 2017. This probably means they are not spending on promoting said spaces until there is more interest on the part of potential tenants.
    They had advertised to the press that these places would possibly even be open before the apartments. I'd hate to see just more vacant retail/office space down there. There is enough of that already.

We also took a walk through the Grand Circus Park. One of the beautiful fountains is literally leaking everywhere. The other one isn't even filled with water. It would be sad if they can't repair these!

Another 5 years of vacancy in those retail spaces seems highly unlikely.

If anything you have Detroit beer Co. about 800 feet from your door and a nice wine bar, Motor City Wine, a few blocks south on Woodward!

That 2017 date has to be incorrect. The developer stated the restaurants and bars would be open prior to the residences, and the commercial space couldn't be far behind that. That would be pretty peculiar if it was in fact the case.