Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default $1000 fine for disrupting Church services.

And here's the source: After the incident in Mount Hope Church in Delta Township, west of Lansing in 2008.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/D...b/-/index.html

Can this fine help or hurt local churches?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    And here's the source: After the incident in Mount Hope Church in Delta Township, west of Lansing in 2008.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/D...b/-/index.html

Can this fine help or hurt local churches?

Who cares, they won't get the fine money...and if they did get a share, I could see some using this law to kick out people they don't like. All it would take is a group of church-folk agreeing that someone raised a ruckus, and they could get 'em written up. You might never have been on the bad side of some church-folk, Danny, but I've seen 'em turn on those they don't like. It ain't pretty.

I think it is a stupid law, and one that doesn't need to be added to our ever-growing books. There is no reason to protect these types of meetings over and above any others, if we truly have separation between church and state. There are already laws about disorderly conduct and protection of private property.

I'm glad that Rep. Deb Shaughnessy [[Republican, surprise) can work on legislation such as this now that all the real problems are fixed.

sounds unconstitutional. dont they pay lawyers to check these things out before they make bills ? free speech and all that.

This fine must be the fore-runner for fines for what is said 'from' the pulpit soon. Hah!