Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: The Winthrop

Default The Winthrop

Was an absolutely beautiful, all brick, over 20 unit apartment building near the 15500 block of Fenkell. There were art deco features of the exterior that I really appreciated. I went by there a day or so ago and noticed the building had been trashed - almost every window was broken out, front and rear doors were not well secured. I'm sure the place has been or soon will be stripped of anything of value. This building had been a going concern all these years, up to a month or two ago. I'm almost positive that building will not come back to life, even though it's in a semi-decent area on the outskirts of Rosedale Park.

It's a shame, almost enough to make a person cry, they just don't build places like that anymore.

Just another example of what a hell hole Detroit has become. It's right around the corner from the fire station and down the street from where Red Devil and KFC were.
    When that area goes, you know you've hit rock bottom.
    One good point is that the Rosedale Community Center is still operating in the park. They hope to do some renovation work soon. They are a light in the darkness.

Anybody ever try the 99cent burger joint?

Stromberg2

Fire station nearby to pump out your stomach.

Yikes, I guess I got my answer!

Stromberg2

I suppose, in and of itself it's no big deal. However when you multiply that one building by 50% of the apartment buildings that used to be in the city 30 years ago, the big picture is pretty damm depressing to me.

My educated guess is that something happened to the management or owner of that place. It was a survivor all these years then it went downhill in a huge hurry.

Change of management, two or three times, change of clientele, folks standing about loitering, utilities not paid, one too many evictions, drugs, violence, vacancies, absentee landlord, abandonment, scrapers = end.

I remember when that was a nice building.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Anybody ever try the 99cent burger joint?

Stromberg2
    In the 90's it was a good Coney Island.

Before that a good hamburger joint.