Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

superduperman Guest

Default Skateboarders in Midtown today????

What was up with all those skateboarders in and around Midtown @ 1:00 pm? Anyone know what was going on?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    What was up with all those skateboarders in and around Midtown @ 1:00 pm? Anyone know what was going on?
    There were a lot downtown today. I don't know about the ones in Midtown [[perhaps the same) but they didn't seem to care about cutting in front of cars, taking up lanes in the middle of the street, etc.

I was tempted to run one of them over when they refused to get out of the way.

Your answer.

Huffington Post.

GIYF.

LoL 1 day they're there and they are already pissing people off. The way some people skateboard IS a crime.

There were tons of skateboarders downtown at noon. It was an organized meet/skate/get-together.
    http://emerica.com/news/2012/04/23/e...culpture-park/

There is also a fundraiser for the Ride It Sculpture Park on a bunch of lots along the Davison Freeway. Four vacant lots and a house are going to be turned into a skate park.

I also heard another house in that area was going to be converted into a couple of squash courts.

That stuff in the house was dangerous. These guys shouldn't encourage kids to skateboard in abandoned houses. Now, I'm all for them building a skate park.

Very few things cheese me off more that skateboarders shredding up things like the union memorial or the riverwalk. This is public infastructure and they ruin it for everyone else.

skateboarders caused considerable property damage where I work years ago before our security staff became aggressive with them, they are never here nowadays. And a nearby municipal skateboard park opened so I'm certain that has helped keep them off the property here.

Thankfully, skateboarders have great future Darwin Award potential. Part of the Darwin Award requirements are that you improve the gene pool by permanently leaving it.

I'm happy I'm not the only one that was a little agitated. I was in Campus Martius and normally love crap like this, but a lot of these kids were really reckless...almost running into people...and saw at least one or two flick off a motorist. It was cool, but should probably be a little more controlled next time.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I'm happy I'm not the only one that was a little agitated. I was in Campus Martius and normally love crap like this, but a lot of these kids were really reckless...almost running into people...and saw at least one or two flick off a motorist. It was cool, but should probably be a little more controlled next time.
    Make it a little more controlled and it loses appeal to most skateboarders.

Lots of "get off my lawn!" going on in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Thankfully, skateboarders have great future Darwin Award potential. Part of the Darwin Award requirements are that you improve the gene pool by permanently leaving it.
    Yes, just like people who text and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Yes, just like people who text and drive.
    Or people who leave the house.