Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Copper thieves hitting warren

A few weeks ago St. Edmunds Church on 12 Mile Road in Warren had all the copper wiring stolen from the air conditioning units. Last night, 16 copper downspouts were taken off the church by scumbags. If anyone has any information or saw something suspicious during the night, please contact the Warren PD.

Detroit has been stripped clean by scrappers and the scavengers are probably heading our way to continue their dirty work. Keep your eyes and ears open.
    Last edited by cla1945; June-21-12 at 11:59 AM.

If they come out my way I can give them some lead.....

It will only get worse. These guys are pretty skilled at their trade, they can strip a house in 15 minutes at 4am when no one is around to see them. If only they would apply that energy to something productive.

And it begins...

This could have been stopped in Detroit with regulation and law enforcement but I guess we didn't want to pay the tax. This is a region that never gets tired of getting manipulated into moving farther out so the tax will be paid when the old house is Warren is sold at half it's value and the new house on 50 million mile road is bought for twice what it is worth. The home developers and road construction companies are filled with delight.
    Last edited by internet_pseudopod; June-22-12 at 10:52 PM. Reason: superfluous words

Maybe with it spreading out to suburbia the lawmakers in Lansing will finally realize something needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Detroit has been stripped clean by scrappers and the scavengers are probably heading our way to continue their dirty work. Keep your eyes and ears open.
    With an attitude like that I don't really care what they do to or in your community.

Legislation has been introduced to deal with it, but the scrap dealers opposed it. Of course.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012040...ft-gets-heated

Apparently the three bills were passed. This site has links to the "tie-barred" bills that go with it. It was bipartisan, spearheaded by Rashida Tlaib.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[h0n...e=2012-HB-5490

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    Legislation has been introduced to deal with it, but the scrap dealers opposed it. Of course.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012040...ft-gets-heated

Apparently the three bills were passed. This site has links to the "tie-barred" bills that go with it. It was bipartisan, spearheaded by Rashida Tlaib.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[h0nt0h453el5sizvlirxhbfm))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2012-HB-5490
    They opposed it? Who cares! What's next, the chop shop rights movement? Crack dealers for equal rights? Then again this this is the country where the Nazis can lobby congress so it's probably not that far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    With an attitude like that I don't really care what they do to or in your community.
    I posted this on the "Non-Detroit" forum, how it got moved I don't know.

This type of activity is not a common practice in Warren, so I have to assume that scrappers are moving North and are stealing valuable copper because there is nothing left to take of value in Detroit that they can get their grubby hands on. I am not bashing all Detroiters, I am bashing the scrappers and scavengers who are out there destroying homes, buildings, etc.

Anyone who denies the fact that this has happened and is still happening in Detroit needs a reality check.

Metal theft is a nationwide issue. Hell my uncle has had to deal with it and he lives 20 miles outside Alpena.

I dont understand why the OP insinuated it was Detroiters. It very well could be residents of Warren.

A large number of scrappers in Detroit are not from Detroit!

The newest wave of migration to Detroit is to work in scrapping because it is so plentiful any very few limitations.

It will continue to spread if something is not done soon!

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    Metal theft is a nationwide issue. Hell my uncle has had to deal with it and he lives 20 miles outside Alpena.

I dont understand why the OP insinuated it was Detroiters. It very well could be residents of Warren.
    You are absolutely right, it could be residents of Warren doing this.

Again, I didn't say all Detroiters are moving North to do their dirty work, I said the scrappers and scavengers are probably moving North. It only makes sense that when there is nothing left to steal in Detroit, these people will move to other areas and steal until the police catch them.

I am glad these bills were passed. How tacky and enraging that they are even scrapping historic churches. These people should have the book thrown at them.

I posted this on the "Non-Detroit" forum, how it got moved I don't know.
    Moved by the moderators. Stories about the suburbs can go on the Detroit page too.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    You don't like the truth, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post

Everyone knows criminals and evildoers come from Detroit and infiltrate the otherwise blissful Levittowns of the region. Warren residents are all fine upstanding citizens. Like this guy:

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...unk_in_detroit

Anyway if you want to see the not-so-distant future of Warren just drive one mile road south to 7 Mile and Hayes. The scrapping is just the beginning.