Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Missing Home

Default Missing Home

The wife and I recently moved from Detroit to Philadelphia. Let me tell you, Philadelphia might be one of the dirtiest major cities I have been to.

We picked a neighborhood 3 miles from Philly's Center City, called Fishtown. I liked it because it reminded me a lot of Detroit...urban renewal, gentrification [[ not always good), and a lot of new upstart mom and pop businesses. I guess you could liken it to Midtown.

I really don't know where I'm going with this, I guess it's just a rant. I hope things are well back home and I look forward to the day my company sends me back to Detroit, probably in the next 2-3 years. Maybe then we can afford one of those beauties in Indian Village!

Thanks for the update and good luck with the new digs. You are now an official member of the 'Detroit Diaspora'. Along with many other former Detroiters you bring valuable and unique perspectives to our discussions. Hopefully you will continue to do so and someday make it back home again.

Then you may be able to use the words of the poet TS Eliot,
    "And the end of all our exploring.
    Will be to arrive where we started.
    And know the place for the first time."

but you can buy scrapple and taylor pork rolls! yum!

English recently moved to Philly, maybe you can page her and set up your own mini-motown ex-pat social club. There is a Philly forum such as this one, I believe it is called Phillyspeaks.

Cool term Lowell! Yes, P3357 keep in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Thanks for the update and good luck with the new digs. You are now an official member of the 'Detroit Diaspora'...
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-22-12 at 09:01 AM.

LOL at you for moving to a place called fishtown and then being distraught when it is dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    The wife and I recently moved from Detroit to Philadelphia. Let me tell you, Philadelphia might be one of the dirtiest major cities I have been to.

We picked a neighborhood 3 miles from Philly's Center City, called Fishtown. I liked it because it reminded me a lot of Detroit...urban renewal, gentrification [[ not always good), and a lot of new upstart mom and pop businesses. I guess you could liken it to Midtown.

I really don't know where I'm going with this, I guess it's just a rant. I hope things are well back home and I look forward to the day my company sends me back to Detroit, probably in the next 2-3 years. Maybe then we can afford one of those beauties in Indian Village!