Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Downtown Detroit Murder

WDIV is reporting a drive-by shooting outside a "club" in the 400 block East Congress St.early this morning, resulted in the death of the security guard- who was a Detroit 300 member and the father of a family.

The only things on that block are Sweetwater, St. Andrew's, Mr. Steven's Restaurant & Bar, and the new strip club they put in there. That club has been there only a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    WDIV is reporting a drive-by shooting outside a "club" in the 400 block East Congress St.early this morning, resulted in the death of the security guard- who was a Detroit 300 member and the father of a family.

Have they arrested and charged this asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Have they arrested and charged this asshole?

Are there ever arrests in drive buys? Snitchs get stiches!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

In whos world i wonder Wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    That isn't really funny.

It's called Pandemonium. I don't go out often anymore but over memorial weekend when I was leaving Asylium there were quite a bit of people milling around outside quite late [[3:30 or so). I walked the other way.

When will the madness end! I'm an ardent supporter of the 2nd ammendemt but things like this make me wish it was politically feasible to ban weapons in this country. At least the semi automatic kind that most drive bys are done with.

Can you believe it? A family man, a member of our beloved Detroit 300, brave men and women protecting the deep hoods. And this is what he gets. Sad. Very very sad.

Unfortunately, now that I've asked the question....I can believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    When will the madness end! I'm an ardent supporter of the 2nd ammendemt but things like this make me wish it was politically feasible to ban weapons in this country. At least the semi automatic kind that most drive bys are done with.
    If you ban weapons, you only take them out of the hands of law-abiding people. Thugs and gangsters, since they do not obey the law, will still use them to kill people. The only difference would be that innocent people will have nothing to defend themselves with.

I most certainly understand your frustration though. I hate all this violence. I'll never own a gun in my house because I think it would be more likely to kill someone in my house than an intruder.

Think what we may of the Detroit 300, this crime was senseless. Another father, brother, uncle, friend, and fellow human dead.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    It's called Pandemonium. I don't go out often anymore but over memorial weekend when I was leaving Asylium there were quite a bit of people milling around outside quite late [[3:30 or so). I walked the other way.
    It's tragic and frustrating. And I don't know how to solve this problem. It's hard to blame the clubs because they go above and beyond when trying to secure the interior. But that doesn't do anything to fight against the violent people they've kept outside the club.

At the same time, it's hard to leave clubs totally blameless because the pattern is so predictable, that it's ridiculous to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    If you ban weapons, you only take them out of the hands of law-abiding people. Thugs and gangsters, since they do not obey the law, will still use them to kill people. The only difference would be that innocent people will have nothing to defend themselves with.
    This is really a nonsensical argument. The "bad guys" can only get access to guns if they're cheap and readily available, which is the current situation in the U.S.

The "bad guys" in Europe and most places abroad don't use guns, because they're well regulated, extremely difficult to attain, and cost many thousands [[sometimes tens of thousands) on the black market.

Here's food for thought. If your club is attracting a clientele that requires security forces to have bulletproof vests, then maybe you shouldn't be allowed to get a liquor license.

And, no, this isn't about race. Centaur, Cliff Bells, and Park Bar are hardly lily-white establishments, and none of them frisk for guns on the way in. The business owners, the building owners that rent to them, and the civic leaders need to recognize that the type of programming a venue offers will naturally attract different crowds.

Club shooting? Hm. Was it after 2 a.m.? Was it at a club that needs high-level gun security? Was it at a venue that attracts a hip-hop crowd under 25 years old? There's a f--ing surprise.

There's a reason why you don't hear about shootings on an early Wednesday morning outside of Floods. I dunno...maybe the City should reserve the right to limit operations of any liquor establishment to 11:30pm?

I understand that the Clubs are doing their best. But we can't keep them completely blameless.

According to the news report that I heard this morning, the suspect got pissed because Mr. Jackson, the victim, threw him [[suspect) out of the club for alleging punching a woman in the face. Mr. Jackson was a bouncer and was to start a new gig as a security guard at the Federal Building on July 2 [[two weeks). Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The "bad guys" in Europe and most places abroad don't use guns, because they're well regulated, extremely difficult to attain, and cost many thousands [[sometimes tens of thousands) on the black market.

You're right, they don't use guns. They use bombs and instead of killing one or 2, they kill 10 or 20.

Quote Originally Posted by mfehan View Post
    You're right, they don't use guns. They use bombs and instead of killing one or 2, they kill 10 or 20.
    This is obviously ridiculous.

There is no epidemic of bomb-related homicides in Europe, or really anyplace on earth outside of some war-torn sections of the Middle East.

Shollin Guest

My guess is the shooter didn't own the gun legally so banning him from owning a gun wouldn't have done any good.

Quote Originally Posted by mfehan View Post
    There are approx 17,000 murders per year in America of which 15,000 are gun related. The murder rate in Europe is no where approaching that. In recent year Germany with 82M population had about 800.
    Recently in America there has been 33,000 Traffic fatalities per year of which about 10,000 have been DUI deaths. We legislate against DUI to "save" lives but not against gun ownership that causes more deaths than DUI. I say outlaw ALL guns.