Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Healthcare has overtaken automotive as most populous workforce in Michigan.

This is a good thing in my eyes.

I love cars, but dependence on the ups and downs of a single industry is one of the reasons Detroit and Michigan are what they are today.

So now we're reliant on TWO industries, one of which is going to burst very soon [[health care).

A big reason why the health care industry in Michigan is doing exceptionally well is because of the "Cadillac" benefits provided by the auto industry.

I hope those workers are saving their pennies. The Big 3 have been doing everything they can to cut their costs on current employees. Co-pays and deductables are rising. New employees' benefits pale in comparision to what the current retirees enjoy. Then there's the issue of future cuts from the Feds to the Medicare / Medicaid programs......

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    A big reason why the health care industry in Michigan is doing exceptionally well is because of the "Cadillac" benefits provided by the auto industry.....
    That's not the only big reason. Personal Injury Protection [[PIP) under Michigan's no-fault auto insurance law provides for un-capped lifetime payments for medical, hospitalization and rehabilitation expenses. Michigan insurance companies are currently assessed $143 per insured vehicle to cover motor vehicle-related injuries that exceed the current threshold of $480,000. [source]

As a result of these unlimited funds, Michigan has become a center of expertise for the treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury [[TBI)- so much so that the US Army routinely sends its injured soldiers to Michigan hospitals and rehab centers for treatment of their TBI.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    A big reason why the health care industry in Michigan is doing exceptionally well is because of the "Cadillac" benefits provided by the auto industry.

I hope those workers are saving their pennies. The Big 3 have been doing everything they can to cut their costs on current employees. Co-pays and deductables are rising. New employees' benefits pale in comparision to what the current retirees enjoy. Then there's the issue of future cuts from the Feds to the Medicare / Medicaid programs......
    My dad is a ford retiree and if he has a "Cadillac" plan, I shutter to think what a Pinto plan looks like. Since when did Cadillac plans have high deductibles, high co-pays, non existent prescriptions, and optional vision and dental coverage? He even has to pay a portion of this plan to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So now we're reliant on TWO industries, one of which is going to burst very soon [[health care).
    Can't help but note how much excess admin/accounting costs add to premiums. I would assume a good deal of the people employed here in MI have jobs without a future in a reformed health care industry. One that benefits the majority and runs on a streamlined, efficient system.

one of the "drawbacks" to health-care industry proliferation, compared to the "golden age" of US manufacturing industries, is that by default, the opportunities for entry-level, unskilled/semi-skilled jobs are not that vast.. only so many orderlies, janitors, cafeteria workers, etc. can be hired into a hospital.. The "better paying" jobs, even for paraprofessionals, are going to need training/schooling in some capacity.. whether vocational, community-college; or a university degree for the professional positions..

Everyone can just work in the healthcare industry. We don't need to produce anything anymore. Oh, and lawyers, God knows we need more fucking lawyers. We'll just go to the hospital and sue each other instead of having a real economy.

I should have been a nurse. Every nurse I've known is dumb as shit and makes good money considering the going wages these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    My dad is a ford retiree and if he has a "Cadillac" plan, I shutter to think what a Pinto plan looks like. Since when did Cadillac plans have high deductibles, high co-pays, non existent prescriptions, and optional vision and dental coverage? He even has to pay a portion of this plan to boot.
    I'm also a Ford retiree, and I really wish people would get over the idea that Big 3 employees/retirees have Cadillac plans. Once upon a time we did, but not now.

Having said that, I've read about other plans [[especially with annual and/or lifetime maximums and with strict formularies - certain meds not covered at all - i've never had that happen, the worst that happens is some are on the $50/month co-pay), and we're probably average or a little better than average - call it the Crown Vic of plans.

Now if your Dad doesn't qualify for the so-called Preferred plan [[i.e., he smokes or has a combination of factors like being really overweight plus having uncontrolled diabetes or high cholesterol), the so-called Standard plan [[I think they should call it the Penalty plan) really does suck. Higher cost sharing and a much higher maximum spend before the full insurance kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert
    I should have been a nurse. Every nurse I've known is dumb as shit and makes good money considering the going wages these days.

I agree. I went to college for four years and entered a dismal job market where I'm offered less money than what I'd be making if I had just stayed at Tubby's grilling subs the whole time. Meanwhile, graduates from 9 month nursing assistant programs that can barely formulate coherent sentences have way better job prospects than I could ever dream of. It's frustrating.

I know, people will ask, "Oh, well if you're so smart, why didn't you just go into a program like that and get one of those jobs?" And maybe I should have. At the time I enrolled in college, though, I thought that the nursing boom was a fad feeding off the remaining wealth of geriatric baby boomers, and that I should get into a field that might help the country generate new wealth again. Actually, I still think the former is still true, but that's little solace right now. It just turns out that computer programming is the only field left to get into that is both growing significantly and generating wealth, but I missed the boat on that one. I was discouraged by seeing all the people in their 50s in the computer programming field that are callously discarded as so much dead weight.

Ah well. You win some and you lose some. For the time being, I'll just go back to grilling, I guess.

Never worry folks, Gov Snyder has heard your concerns regarding the shrinking of Cadillac heath care plans and has enacted the Ride your motorcycle without a helmet law. This will keep plenty of people working!

Cadillac health plans are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Many blue collar folks have had this stripped of them during thier last contract. Austerity measures have also kicked in for us in the public sector, meaning that our health care is much more expensive than it used to be. For example my medicine copay has gone from $5 a month to $50 a month for one drug and doctors appointments that used to be free are now $25-$45. My dentists office used to be full of people, now I am typically the only one in the waiting room.

Hah! And you better not have nicotine in your system if you want to work in some hospitals!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    one of the "drawbacks" to health-care industry proliferation, compared to the "golden age" of US manufacturing industries, is that by default, the opportunities for entry-level, unskilled/semi-skilled jobs are not that vast.. only so many orderlies, janitors, cafeteria workers, etc. can be hired into a hospital.. The "better paying" jobs, even for paraprofessionals, are going to need training/schooling in some capacity.. whether vocational, community-college; or a university degree for the professional positions..

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Never worry folks, Gov Snyder has heard your concerns regarding the shrinking of Cadillac heath care plans and has enacted the Ride your motorcycle without a helmet law. This will keep plenty of people working!

Cadillac health plans are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Many blue collar folks have had this stripped of them during thier last contract. Austerity measures have also kicked in for us in the public sector, meaning that our health care is much more expensive than it used to be. For example my medicine copay has gone from $5 a month to $50 a month for one drug and doctors appointments that used to be free are now $25-$45. My dentists office used to be full of people, now I am typically the only one in the waiting room.
    Your situation is identical to the the situation of so many people I know. If the Supreme Court reverses all or part of Obamacare, I bet most Americans will still want SOME semblence of healthcare changes or relief.

Politically Republicans may not want to do anything healthcare wise, should Obamacare fail.... but they'll be doing so at their own peril, since they could alienate some of the working middle class that is struggling with rising co-pays and other pocketbook healthcare issues.

If Obamacare fails, and the Democrats try to take the initiative to get something to replace at least parts of it.... and they see Republican intransigence... they'll just hold off until after the elections... using this issue as a MAJOR campaign strategy... which may resonate with a lot of folks who suddenly find huge out-of-pocket healthcare expenses.

The Republican slogan "lower taxes" may not resonate so well with folks who are paying more anyway... but in a different way.

Right. While they have better coverage than most, it's a misconception that auto industry retirees have this "Cadillac" of health plans. They have to pay like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    This is a good thing in my eyes.

I love cars, but dependence on the ups and downs of a single industry is one of the reasons Detroit and Michigan are what they are today.
    I think it would only be seen as a good thing if Healthcare has overtaken Automotive due to a vast increase in Healthcare jobs. Instead it's been driven by a slight increase in Healthcare jobs [[relatively speaking) and a huge decrease in Automotive jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Dumb as shit nurse checking in here.....

As far as I am concerned there are dumb-asses in every field. No dumb-asses in your line of work??? Your comment doesn't hold much water on the floors I have worked on. Sure there are some that need some extra classes and an extra eye but that's everywhere and in every occupation.

I think most hospitals have done a good job of curtailing spending and excessive hiring over the last few years. They have used the auto industry as a good way to NOT run a business. No pensions to worry about, have had pay freezes for a few years now, most are non union [[!!!), plus they mostly respond to demands not just a matter of keeping people employed for employment sake. And as far as the wages...the nurses hired in the last 5-6 years are being hired at a much more shallow pay rate/raise curve than the "older" nurses were. I will never make what a 20 year employed nurse makes now.

Furthermore, say what you want about Obamacare the real problem is the insurance companies paper pushing and the people who choose to ignore their own health.
    Last edited by adamjab19; June-21-12 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Dumb as shit nurse checking in here.....
    Adamjab19.... you have to take Pooberts comments about any group he's not a part of with a grain of salt.... he's insulted, folks from Livonia, Macomb County, Troy, you name it, and he's got a doozie of a name for them.... just think of it as a byproduct of his cosmopolitan upbringing...

I should have been a nurse. Every nurse I've known is dumb as shit
    Are you serious? I'm related to a few RNs and they aren't dumb at all.

Who needs to make cars when we can protect people for car accidents while working with healthcare.

Agreed! Perhaps nurses and cops are both in the basket of contempt from time to time. Course when you need one they can both be pretty handy!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Are you serious? I'm related to a few RNs and they aren't dumb at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Adamjab19.... you have to take Pooberts comments about any group he's not a part of with a grain of salt.... he's insulted, folks from Livonia, Macomb County, Troy, you name it, and he's got a doozie of a name for them.... just think of it as a byproduct of his cosmopolitan upbringing...
    I still follow the rules around here and don't personally attack people or anything. Since we live in a free society, I'm entitled to my opinions and to express them, and hey, it's got people talking, anyway. Nobody would get fired up if we all sat around gushing about Livonia [[inexplicably, I know people who do).

Although I am biased because I dated a nurse who was dumb as shit. And she still made more money than me. There are probably some smart ones out there, I just picked the wrong one.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I still follow the rules around here and don't personally attack people or anything. Since we live in a free society, I'm entitled to my opinions and to express them, and hey, it's got people talking, anyway. Nobody would get fired up if we all sat around gushing about Livonia [[inexplicably, I know people who do).

Although I am biased because I dated a nurse who was dumb as shit. And she still made more money than me. There are probably some smart ones out there, I just picked the wrong one.
    You personally insulted me on my very post on this forum.

So don't let your bad experiences with one particular nurse, cloud your thinking about all nurses. That doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    So don't let your bad experiences with one particular nurse, cloud your thinking about all nurses. That doesn't make sense.
    Of course I was totally, completely serious.
    You personally insulted me on my very post on this forum.
    And now you're a better man because of it.

You take yourselves way too seriously. It's Friday and it's the first weekend of summer and it's beautiful. Lighten up.
    Last edited by poobert; June-22-12 at 09:57 AM.