Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How to fix city Government?

Just wondering if we have any actual city service workers....i hav yet seen any around lately. Tall grass everywhere, trash filled lots, utility poles leaning towards the streets...yet alone street light not working at all in most area. That dutch-elm tree disease going around, quickly killing our landscaping and not to mention crumbling roads and non-maintain sidewalks and lack of police patroling the area.... yet i havent seen anyone trying to take care of this issues. Why am I paying taxes? We need better city leaders and city planners....

Retroit Guest

Welcome to the forum, gthomas! And [[apparently) welcome to Detroit, as it sounds like you've never seen these things before. It's called the "Detroit Way": tax people to death until they leave and spend the money on travel junkets to Dubai for the "leaders".

By "dutch-elm tree disease" did you mean Emerald Ash Borer? Or have you really been living under a rock for the past 5 decades?

[[Don't take my sarcasm to seriously. You'll have plenty of opportunities to get even!)

DetroitDad Guest

I'm reminded of the legal term, coming in with "clean hands".

Assuming we have responsible people who will spend the money on infrastructure, schools, police, fire, etc., we have to insist on new laws, perhaps a new city charter, to prevent future corruption like what we've seen recently.

Barring family members of public office holders from positions of power in the city would be a start. Carolyn, Monica, et al, would have never been allowed to run in the 1st place. You see what political incest has done...from New York State to North Korea. Not a pretty picture.

So, assuming we have these non-related stewards of the people's business in place, revitalization takes incoming money. Detroit's remaining tax base is not enough. Use Federal/State money, and the US Corps of Engineers to build a water turbine on the Detroit River to generate electricity, which the city can sell for income.

Let's use the swiftness of the current to its advantage.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    I'm reminded of the legal term, coming in with "clean hands".

Assuming we have responsible people who will spend the money on infrastructure, schools, police, fire, etc., we have to insist on new laws, perhaps a new city charter, to prevent future corruption like what we've seen recently.

Barring family members of public office holders from positions of power in the city would be a start. Carolyn, Monica, et al, would have never been allowed to run in the 1st place. You see what political incest has done...from New York State to North Korea. Not a pretty picture.

So, assuming we have these non-related stewards of the people's business in place, revitalization takes incoming money. Detroit's remaining tax base is not enough. Use Federal/State money, and the US Corps of Engineers to build a water turbine on the Detroit River to generate electricity, which the city can sell for income.

Let's use the swiftness of the current to its advantage.
    It's worth noting that the rest of the country is about to be in the same boat as the City of Detroit, including the metro Detroit suburbs.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    It's worth noting that the rest of the country is about to be in the same boat as the City of Detroit, including the metro Detroit suburbs.
    I agree...

i think with the problems they are having, they are looking to take whatever assets we have from us, water, cobo, schools, etc.

i know you guys think I am crazy, but I really think that is why Brooks Patterson [[speeled it right this time) decided not to run for governor...he feels that as the Oakland COunty executive, he can better take from us. Never trusted the man....

[[speeled it right this time)
    Keep trying.

Brooks Patterson did a lot of good once upon a time, but he's worn out his welcome. Time for the new generation to come in.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Brooks Patterson did a lot of good once upon a time, but he's worn out his welcome. Time for the new generation to come in.
    i agree!

i was hoping that Brenda Lawrence would win.

How to fix city government EASY!

1. Just get rid the leftovers who corrupted city services.

2. Replace those leftovers with NEW LEADERSHIP people!

3. Oversee those new city leaders, lobby, make sure they fulfill their public duties.

4. If they did their civic duties to reform city government, honor their legacy.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

For Neda Soltani