Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Not The Only Place With Violence Problem [[Chicago)

Homicides are up 54% so far this year!

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/16/152852...-homicide-rate

The homicide rate in Chicago has soared more than 50 percent in the first few months of 2012 over the same time period last year. The number of non-fatal shootings is up sharply, too. Why? Some say it could be just a statistical blip or due to rising temperatures, as Chicago had an extremely mild winter this year with record-setting warmth in March, the bloodiest month. But others say there is a deeply entrenched culture of violence in some city neighborhoods and within the prolific Chicago street gangs. They worry 2012 could be one of the most violent years in the city since the 1990s.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-chicago-lawn

Homicides in Chicago soared by 60 percent in the first three months of 2012, continuing a troublesome trend that began late last year. Nonfatal shootings also rose sharply in the first quarter, Police Department statistics show.
    The worsening violence comes as the Emanuel administration touts its efforts to combat gang crime and add officers and resources to some of the city's most dangerous neighborhoods.
    But in 2008, the city saw similar spikes early in the year and ended up with more than 500 homicides, the only time that has happened in the last nine years.
    From Jan. 1 through April 1 this year, 120 homicides were recorded in Chicago, up sharply from 75 in the same period in both 2011 and 2010, according to department statistics. Nonfatal shootings totaled almost 490 in the first three months of 2012, up 37 percent from a year earlier.

It's national news that the number of homicides in Chicago are up sharply and that if the trend continues, their 2012 homicide rate might reach 18 per hundred thousand residents. Meanwhile in Detroit, the homicide rate hovers at about 43 per hundred thousand.

In Chicago, is the violence peculiar to a single area or is it city-wide as in Detroit?

I'm not sure but it seems to be a very disturbing trend. I believe one of the major causes is unemployment and stagnant wages. I have friends in Chicago who say certain areas are just flat out too dangerous to visit. It's amazing to me how low the crime rate of NYC is in comparison to Chicago, Detroit, Miami ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    In Chicago, is the violence peculiar to a single area or is it city-wide as in Detroit?
    One side of town.

Thus the mention of Chicago's crime in comparison is silly.

Plus, the emergency services actually respond and on time when the incidents happen.

Revenge shootings have been commonplace in Chicago for years, and often take place outside of schools. They rarely get any attn. outside of local press.

"The Interrupters" was a great documentary on PBS about former convicts who have taken to the streets to try to talk some sense into the younger kids to curb the revenge killings.

I did read somewhere that the city did do away with the project housing because there was so much crime within them, but after getting rid of them it kind of just spread all the criminals over a wider swath of the city.

sorry for the uneasy reading...this website ALWAYS GIVES ME ISSUES!

Chicago is a much bloodier city than Detroit and you'llalways witness more street violence in Chicago than in Detroit. But one thing Inoticed, like someone mentioned above is Chicago's police response is almostinstant. They also have cameras saturating the entire city and a majority ofthe businesses have private cameras that are tapped in to the Chicago PoliceCommand Center. If you commit a crime, CPD has the capabilities to go back andlook at ALL of the cameras [[private & municipal) and track your where about.When you add the fact that Chicago is a very crowded city, this means more earsand eyes are used as witnesses. The crazy part is, these idiots STILL commitcrimes [[no ski-mask) in front of security cameras. This goes to show you justhow stupid today's youths can be. On the other hand, Detroit suffers fromhaving so much vacant land and very few witnesses, making our city an excellentplace to commit crimes and then they're able to get away.

But none of these things matter when you have a generationof INNER-CITY youth that has no value for the human life...yours or theirs.They're living for the moment. Chicago, St. Louis, Philly, Baltimore, LosAngeles, New Orleans, Newark, Atlanta, Memphis or Detroit. Young black andhispanic INNER-CITY youths are out of control.

[[I'm black for the record)

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Chicago is a much bloodier city than Detroit and you'llalways witness more street violence in Chicago than in Detroit.
    As a man who grew up in Detroit, and currently lives in Chicago, I have no idea what basis you're using to make this statement. While Chicago ABSOLUTELY has some wild areas [[predominantely on the South, or West sides), I don't think God could even distinguish one areas as being better or worse than the most violent parts of Detroit. Point is nobody would want their relatives to walk through either cities crap neighborhoods. Bad is bad innit?

There's violence everywhere. Just because you don't hear about it frequently from other cities, doesn't mean it's not there. Atlanta has a major crime problem from what a friend tells me, but we rarely hear about it here.

You better do your research tetsua. Or either you probably stay within your neighborhood which is probably one of the safer areas.

The hot spot for homicides in Chicago's ghettoes is the West Side from N.Western St. and north of Roosevelt St. from Lawndale to South Austin neighborhoods near the Oak Park west suburban borders. And farther southside fron Englewood to the south suburbs. Those are the mostly low-income black communities that neighbors seen the flood of gangs, drugs and lack of police presence. It seems to me that some Chicago corrupt ward areas really want most of the low-income folks out of those areas by creating a "Detroit like" madness and mayhem so that gentrification and yuppification of the higher classes from the Loop, Lincoln Park, New City and Gold Coast areas and take over and run Chicago into their liking.

I have seen the demographic change happen by looking the color map from projects.nytimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    One side of town.

Thus the mention of Chicago's crime in comparison is silly.

Plus, the emergency services actually respond and on time when the incidents happen.
    Last sentence says a lot.

I would say the decent areas in Detroit are getting fewer and fewer. There's hardly any middle class left in Detroit. that's where Detroit and Chicage differ, big time. Unlike Chicago, the beautiful middle class neighborhoods of Detroit are gone and don't seem to be coming back anytime soon.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post

Chicago is a much bloodier city than Detroit and you'llalways witness more street violence in Chicago than in Detroit.
    Seeing is how Chicago has several times as many people in comparable land sizes, that's obvious.

When figured using the per 100,000 ratio, Detroit has a problem that is much much worse by far.