Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best BBQ in Detroit is.......

Well this has been spawned from another thread and it's getting off topic, so I'm curious to see what you guys think are the best few bbq spots in metro Detroit. Obviously we are all familiar with the Slow's and Union Woodshop's, I'd like to hear of some more places to try. Lockhart's and Bad Brad's get talked up quite a bit, although I've been to neither. What's everyone's opinion?

I haven't been in awhile, but I've enjoyed Redsmoke whenever I've been there .

There's a very good one in lake orion, but I don't recall the name

Vicki's on W Warren
    The Bone yard, 3 locations in western burbs.

Milts Barbeque on the east side... the best IMO!

Lazybones Smokehouse on Groesbeck at I-696!

Lazybones and Lockhardt's are great, and on par with each other. Redsmoke is very good, but the selection of meats were a bit limited when I went [[they may have expanded since)

The couple of times I've been to the Boneyard I've been disappointed. The location I went to closed, so maybe it wasn't a good representative.

Favorite ribs, by far, is Champs in GPW. Same style as the old Pointe BBQ, which had the best ribs of all time - not too sweet and smoked nearly to a crisp. Not a fan of the goopy, fall-off-the-bone ribs.

Anyone know where to get good beef ribs? Memphis used to have good beef ribs before they started to suck.

Occurrence Guest

Not sure what the best is, but I do know Slows is the most overrated.

vicki's is real deroit barbecue, spare ribs cooked on the grill turned often. Lake Orion , what part of Detroit is that in . South Side.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR101 View Post
    Lazybones Smokehouse on Groesbeck at I-696!
    Pretty damm good food at that place. Glad I live far away from there - ain't exactly health food!

Very! But it's one of the few 'sit-down' BBQ places in the city and they do serve other things!

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Not sure what the best is, but I do know Slows is the most overrated.

i've eaten at most bbq places around town - old and new - and i keep going back to famous daves.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Milts Barbeque on the east side... the best IMO!
    What's their address? Did they used to be on Gratiot on the near eastside?

Famous Daves is usually a safe bet-even though its a chain.
    Slows can be hit or miss depending on what you order.
    Lazybones has always been pretty good and authentic-imo
    Bad Brads has always been pretty good too.
    Though not authentic Chicken Shack still has my number on sweet, fall off the bone style ribs.

Family owned Milts BBQ is located on 19143 Kelly Rd, Detroit, MI

They were originally on Huston-Whittier. The sad back story of Milts is that the owner Mr. Milt was killed in 2009 a few years back as his store was being robbed. See thread below:http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ing-BBQ-Joints

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    What's their address? Did they used to be on Gratiot on the near eastside?

None of the above! I have yet to find anyone in town who comes close to the ribs I do. Most taste like crap or are overdone. Although at one time there were a couple "street" vendors who did excellent ribs I have been striving for years to match.

I loved Milt's for years, but I will admit to not going back there since Milt died. Frankly, I found the thought too heart-breaking, since Milt was such a great guy. I really should go back soon though. First of all, I'm sure they could use the business, and secondly, and most importantly, that food is gooood.

Yes, it was a heart-breaking story, I'd chatted with him here and there when getting food. Behind something like that you wonder how the family goes on and some just end the business all together. Milts goes forth.

Yeah some of those street vendors put forth some good stuff. Surprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    None of the above! I have yet to find anyone in town who comes close to the ribs I do. Most taste like crap or are overdone. Although at one time there were a couple "street" vendors who did excellent ribs I have been striving for years to match.

Those of you who frequent lazy-bones, give their smoked chicken wings a try. They are only .99 a piece, and they're so big my woman swears they're from turkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Those of you who frequent lazy-bones, give their smoked chicken wings a try. They are only .99 a piece, and they're so big my woman swears they're from turkeys.
    That means they have more steroids than Roger Clemons.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    That means they have more steroids than Roger Clemons.
    If you're eating BBQ then steroids the chickens ingested are probably the least of your worries.

Everything in moderation

You will find Southern Fires bones all over Belle Isle.

They must be good!

While not Detroit, I've been meaning to try this place in Midland due to catching them win some awards on some TV show:

http://www.bonedaddysbarbeque.com

I actually tried the lazy bones on Garfield Sunday [[of course the one by my house is closed on Sunday) and thought it was ok. I had the burnt ends and pulled pork. It was decent, but nothing to write home about. And I've had Redsmoke before, and I've gotta be honest, not only did I but the group I went with thought it was terrible. The food was barely warm when I got it, but I don't dare ever send back anything to a kitchen in a restaurant. First and last time I'll eat there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast