Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Favorite Little Churches in Detroit

What are yours? There's something very intimate, roots-connecting and deep in a little old church in the neighborhood. I just can't do church in a strip center storefront.

One of mine is the Conventional Baptist Church [[formerly Bethany Evangelical Church) on the corner of Seminole and Vernor. The house across the street is for sale and built in 1917, so I imagine the church was built around this time, also. I hope the inside looks as good as the outside.

PS: Thank you, UofM for posting the R.L. Polk 1929 Detroit Directory online! I found the old name of the church in the fantastic cross-street directory here.

Not a "little" church, but old St. Theresa at Quincy and Pingree is a monumental building and the original stained glass and furnishings were outstanding and well maintained until the supression of the parish by the AOD. Now part of a charter school complex it is rewarding to see the build repurposed.

Also St. Cecilia at Livernois and Sterns [[near Grand River). Romanesque with somewhat streanlined art deco influenced carvings...all faced in limestone with windows by Willet Studios in Philadelphia, Detroit Stained Glass Co. and Franz Mayer and Co. of Munich. Very well maintained and active parish with grammer school.

LodgeDodger Guest

Our Lady of the Rosary at Woodward and Medbury.

Waterman United Methodist Church - the church I attended as a child. It went from Lewerenz and Fort Street to Waterman Street in the late 60s/early 70s. Anyone know the name of the church before it moved to Waterman? I know the church moved in the late 70s/80s [[?), but not sure where and what the name of it is now.

Mariners Church.
    Now, what is your favorite Little Bar in Detroit?

Saced Heart, at Eliot and Rivard in Eastern Mkt. area.

Bobl Heh, Heh, I think that's new thread. Best Hole in The Wall!

Are we allowed to post Google maps screen captures on this forum under "fair use"? It's for educational purposes only, you know. I want to show you guys this church I like.

Quote Originally Posted by DtCtyGrl View Post
    Waterman United Methodist Church - the church I attended as a child. It went from Lewerenz and Fort Street to Waterman Street in the late 60s/early 70s. Anyone know the name of the church before it moved to Waterman? I know the church moved in the late 70s/80s [[?), but not sure where and what the name of it is now.
    Here is a bit of the R.L. Polk City Directory 1928-29 from Lewerenz @ W. Fort Street.

You'll see that Olivet Presbyterian Church was at the NW corner at that time. It is now at 707 Lewerenz in an apparently different church. Interesting to note that the lovely Italianate style house on the NE Corner was a school.