Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Need locations to for a vintage photoshoot...

I am in the process of preparing for a photoshoot this weekend that has a vintage feel/ appearance to it. We are doing three vintage periods 40's 60's and 70's. Does anyone here know of any good locations around the city that may have that look/ feel architecturally speaking?

Thanks in advance...

Is it a car shoot? If so, will the cars have to move? How fast/far? Fashion? Motion or still? Sound or MOS?

Forties: Grand River at Woodward. Lots of prewar buildings right there.

Sixties: International Institute

Seventies: Northern Lights Lounge

This will be more so for a fashion shoot...still photos...

I will check those places out DN thank you guys. I have been racking my brains on where to do these shoots at since last night that wouldn't be the the typical Detroit shots....

How about the Park Shelton Hotel? The Peacock Room is a vintage style clothing store which is located in the lobby of the Park Shelton. The lobby is still very original. Think it might be perfect.

Cliff Bells perhaps? Or do you want outdoor locations?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
    Cliff Bells perhaps? Or do you want outdoor locations?

Hmmmm...i forgot aboutCliff Bells...what is the decorum like in there?

Decorum? Hippy chic. Decor, decoesque.

Are you looking for interiors or exteriors? Night? Day? You looking for free locations or do you have a budget? I imagin since you're shooting on a weekend, that the places need to be free, but ...

For '60's interior I don't think you could go wrong with Wayne State and the Yamasaki building. They just repaired the fountain/pond outside too.

The '50's could work in the old Veterans Memorial on the western edge of Hart Plaza. Built in 1955. It is now some sort of Labor administration building and I haven't been in it since Labor took it over. But it was a timecapsual.

The '70's could work inside Lawrence Tech, better yet the Brutalism of the Southfield City Hall is very 1973. A bunch of poured inplace concrete cubes punctuated by non-opening windows. Pretty typical.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Decorum? Hippy chic. Decor, decoesque.

Are you looking for interiors or exteriors? Night? Day? You looking for free locations or do you have a budget? I imagin since you're shooting on a weekend, that the places need to be free, but ...

For '60's interior I don't think you could go wrong with Wayne State and the Yamasaki building. They just repaired the fountain/pond outside too.

The '50's could work in the old Veterans Memorial on the western edge of Hart Plaza. Built in 1955. It is now some sort of Labor administration building and I haven't been in it since Labor took it over. But it was a timecapsual.

The '70's could work inside Lawrence Tech, better yet the Brutalism of the Southfield City Hall is very 1973. A bunch of poured inplace concrete cubes punctuated by non-opening windows. Pretty typical.

Yeah actually Wayne state was one of the places I wanted to look at for the 60's look. I do like that area between the business school and the deroy auditorium. And yes I am DEF looking for some free locations for this shoot. I am also preferably looking for some day- early evening shots. So when you say that LT has that 70s look, how 70's are we thinking?

If it's late a late 70's Brutalism look that you're after, consider the Coleman Young Recreation Center in Elmwood Park

Better hurry before all the places are all torn down. Not many have respect for the past around here it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Better hurry before all the places are all torn down. Not many have respect for the past around here it seems.
    Yeah, maybe Delray would be a good spot for a photo shoot...