Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Guerrilla Crosswalks

It seems to me that there are a number of areas of the city that need crosswalks but for whatever reason do not have them. The main one that comes to mind is the crossing across Gratioit from the Dequindre Cut to the Eastern Market. I can't count how many times I have seen stranded, and occasionally confused, bikers and pedestrians standing on either side of Gratiot wondering how to get across. Indeed, doing it can be quit dangerous.

I'm sure there are others areas of the city where this is needed. A few spots in SW also come to mind.

I would like to get together a crew of dedicated DYers to go out in the early morning before traffic begins and paint quick-drying paint onto the street where crosswalks are needed. Who is with me? Where do we need them?

Although I think this is a great idea, please keep in mind that most people in Detroit don't use crosswalks. Woodward is a perfect example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by mfehan View Post
    Although I think this is a great idea, please keep in mind that most people in Detroit don't use crosswalks. Woodward is a perfect example of this.
    So because some people don't use them nobody needs them?

Maybe people don't use them because they are not in the proper places. Even on Woodward there are often not crosswalks where they are needed, for example across Woodward at Willis. In a city with such wide streets, and pining for walkability this would seem like a no-brainier.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    It seems to me that there are a number of areas of the city that need crosswalks but for whatever reason do not have them. The main one that comes to mind is the crossing across Gratioit from the Dequindre Cut to the Eastern Market. I can't count how many times I have seen stranded, and occasionally confused, bikers and pedestrians standing on either side of Gratiot wondering how to get across. Indeed, doing it can be quit dangerous.

I'm sure there are others areas of the city where this is needed. A few spots in SW also come to mind.

I would like to get together a crew of dedicated DYers to go out in the early morning before traffic begins and paint quick-drying paint onto the street where crosswalks are needed. Who is with me? Where do we need them?
    If you want to do this for real, I will do it with you

I mean it for real. I've actually been pondering this idea for a couple of years and it reoccured to me today. I wonder what type of paint would be past. Quick drying. We would also need a couple of stand up rollers.

Shollin Guest

I'm confused. How is painting line on Gratiot going to make it easier to cross?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    So because some people don't use them nobody needs them?
    I said I thought it was a great idea. I was just pointing out that instead of crossing at a cross walk or even at a corner, there are many who choose to just wander into the street regardless of traffic or location.

I said I thought it was a great idea. I was just pointing out that instead of crossing at a cross walk or even at a corner, there are many who choose to just wander into the street regardless of traffic or location.
    TRUE. I was driving down I-94 yesterday about 1/4 mile west of 14th st and there was someone in the roadway. I was like holy shit! and laid on my horn. He ran across all three lanes [[a fucking dumbshit). He was a young kid and I noticed three other young kids on the overpass looking down, seemed like a dare situation.

Talk about nothing to do. The kid could have died. By the time he crossed the west bound lanes he still had to cross the east bound lanes, or cross back. He was stuck in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    I mean it for real. I've actually been pondering this idea for a couple of years and it reoccured to me today. I wonder what type of paint would be past. Quick drying. We would also need a couple of stand up rollers.
    Crosswalks use a poly resin material and are laid down in Strips with rollers. What might be needed there is a HAWK signal.

Guerrilla crosswalks work best in more of a neighborhood setting. Gratiot is ambitious. However: I'd say 2nd Ave in front of the Bronx, as well as Russell in Eastern Market are prime locations.

there is a crosswalk at gratiot & dequinre cut...it's called st.aubin & gratiot.
    when the pathway is finished you be walking under gratiot.

They need to install a crosswalk on the south side of Jefferson right at the Windsor tunnel entrance. There is a lot of foot traffic there and for no apparent reason that crossing is much more hazardous than it needs to be.

And a crosswalk and signal heading south on Jefferson toward the tunnel at Randolph. I've seen bikers and peds almost killed at that intersection, even when the light is red.

The main problem I see with doing this is that without a traffic light the crosswalk will have no effect on the behavior of drivers. But it may fool some more credulous pedestrians and bikers into thinking that it does, causing them to wander out into unregulated traffic with a false notion of protection.

There is nothing I hate seeing more... I can't think of a single day where I haven't been irritated by someone [[or a group of someones) just wandering out into Warren Rd [[between Evergreen and Greenfield).

The worst is seeing mothers with very small children doing it and because there isn't a left turn lane they're left exposed standing on the double-yellow line.

Granted, there are only designated crosswalks every few blocks or so, but is not having to walk an extra block or two really worth risking the lives of your kids, not to mention yourself?